India Visa For Upcoming Cruise?

TxnAquarian

I'm booked on the Constellation to India later this year, and can't get clear info on the visa needed. My roll call for the cruise has gone pretty quiet, and my TA is not being a big help, so I'm trying to get a jump on the research. Has anyone else done an Indian cruise? Will we need what's called a multiple entry visa? Thanks for any help.

Michael

We did this a few years ago ... we found all of the info we needed by going into the Dept of State website and following the links they provided ... but because we live near DC we handled the application process in person ...

I'm booked on the Constellation to India later this year, and can't get clear info on the visa needed. My roll call for the cruise has gone pretty quiet, and my TA is not being a big help, so I'm trying to get a jump on the research. Has anyone else done an Indian cruise? Will we need what's called a multiple entry visa? Thanks for any help.

Michael

We went last year, India is wonderful (we will go again on a land tour next year) but the application was not wonderful. It is more than a dozen pages. The ship will not get it for you, you can't get it on arrival (unless you arrive at an airport and pre submit the application; and Celebrity goes to a dock not an airport). But it is worthwhile applying for a visa.

From the Indian Gov't website: NOTE: WITH EFFECT FROM MAY 21, 2014 THE VISA/OCI/PIO/RENUNCIATION OF INDIAN CITIZENSHIP APPLICATION COLLECTION/PROCESSING AND DELIVERY PROCESS SERVICES HAVE BEEN OUTSOURCED TO COX & KINGS GLOBAL SERVICES PVT. LTD. WALK IN APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED AT THE EMBASSY. ALSO PLEASE DON'T SEND APPLICATION FORMS TO EMBASSY.

https://www.in.ckgs.us/visa/visa-application-guide.shtml

We got a multiple entry visa, one never knows-just to be safe. It is said that England invented bureaucracy and the Indians perfected it- fill out the visa application and you will know that's true.

I'm sure you remember all the countries you visited in the last 10 years, and have a sponsor in India (with a phone #) where were your parents born, by the way? From your picture it looks like your grandfather is from Pakistan- that's going to be a problem. (My grandfather was not, but my grandmother was a Pakistani terrorist who snuck into India to blow things up; but they never asked about her).

Follow the instructions carefully (note the exact size of the picture- it's not exactly the same as a passport photo) and you have to send in your passport.

I bet you think I'm trying to be funny (which I am) but when you see the visa application you won't be laughing. However, going to India will be worth it. Have a wonderful cruise.

Steven (aka tampatramp from San Francisco )

We went last year, India is wonderful (we will go again on a land tour next year) but the application was not wonderful. It is more than a dozen pages. The ship will not get it for you, you can't get it on arrival (unless you arrive at an airport and pre submit the application; and Celebrity goes to a dock not an airport). But it is worthwhile applying for a visa.

From the Indian Gov't website: NOTE: WITH EFFECT FROM MAY 21, 2014 THE VISA/OCI/PIO/RENUNCIATION OF INDIAN CITIZENSHIP APPLICATION COLLECTION/PROCESSING AND DELIVERY PROCESS SERVICES HAVE BEEN OUTSOURCED TO COX & KINGS GLOBAL SERVICES PVT. LTD. WALK IN APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED AT THE EMBASSY. ALSO PLEASE DON'T SEND APPLICATION FORMS TO EMBASSY.

https://www.in.ckgs.us/visa/visa-application-guide.shtml

We got a multiple entry visa, one never knows-just to be safe. It is said that England invented bureaucracy and the Indians perfected it- fill out the visa application and you will know that's true.

I'm sure you remember all the countries you visited in the last 10 years, and have a sponsor in India (with a phone #) where were your parents born, by the way? From your picture it looks like your grandfather is from Pakistan- that's going to be a problem. (My grandfather was not, but my grandmother was a Pakistani terrorist who snuck into India to blow things up; but they never asked about her).

Follow the instructions carefully (note the exact size of the picture- it's not exactly the same as a passport photo) and you have to send in your passport.

I bet you think I'm trying to be funny (which I am) but when you see the visa application you won't be laughing. However, going to India will be worth it. Have a wonderful cruise.

Steven (aka tampatramp from San Francisco )

Thank you so much for this information. The links are extremely helpful!

What can you use for the India reference? Celebrity Cruises? Obviously I know no one in India.

Note to OP we live near Chicago and so we can apply in person. I was told that you can have your pictures taken at the appointment

I'd visit the US State Department website and read the information that they supply relative to travel to India... In addition, they supply a link to a visa service [i'm not necessarily suggesting you use them--they can be pricey--but their website may clarify matters] that supposedly handles visa matters on behalf of the Indian government for Americans traveling to India...

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/india.html

Celebrity has a relationship with a different visa service [also recommended by Azamara] that--in my experience--sponsors an excellent, informative and up-to-date [which, I've found, is not always true among their competitors] website... Again, their fees can be pricey if you elect to use them as agent in securing your visa but there is no cost associated with accessing their website or in speaking with one of their reps...

http://www.visacentral.com

If you first phone Captain's Club, they should be able to provide you with Celebrity's account # with Visa Central and a dedicated phone # for Celebrity guests... That account #--which you can enter on Visa Central's Home Page--often brings up a list of Celebrity cruises, based upon itinerary and your answers to a few questions, for which a country-specific visa is needed and the type of visa required... I've used the on a full-service basis with great success for China/Cambodia--and on an informational basis only, I did all the leg-work--for Brazil and Argentina...

Visa requirements are ever-changing [Argentina implemented one last year, less than two weeks before I departed for South America, that was not in effect when I visited in 2012 and was not in effect when I first researched the requirements of each country I visited during 2015; thankfully, it was electronic but would have been easier if I were more fluent in Spanish]... Many countries that never required a visa for short-term American tourists now do so as The US has apparently imposed a visa requirement--or changed the ground rules/made the process more complex if one was required in the past--upon foreign nationals seeking to visit The US on a tourist basis... It's becoming a reciprocal thing [Turkey is a relatively recent addition] on a conceptual basis and, national security aside, governments have determined that it's revenue-enhancing...

Also know that the visa application process can be very bureaucratic... The Chinese abruptly revamped their four page application--I needed to redo it-- just before I submitted mine... I also learned that Consulates can have varying administrative processes [as a Floridian, the surrounding rules and practices for the China Consulate in Houston (which Floridians must use)--particularly as to application lead time--were quite different than those followed by the China Consulate in New York (I have a second home in the New Jersey suburbs but couldn't use the New York office)]... And be alert to the technicalities/quirks... If the application instructions tell you to use only capital letters/avoid all punctuation/use prescribed date formats, believe them... If you are advised that fees can only be paid via prescribed format [brazil requires a postal money order from Americans], believe them... If you are required to write/include a seemingly silly letter covering the purpose of your visit [already covered in the application], to provide a bank statement, or to provide evidence of international medical coverage, believe them... I've never had a problem but it's not a process for the creative or inattentive... A visit to the Brazilian Consulate in Miami--I dropped off my application and had a short one-on-one application review session with a Rep--was revealing in that, as pleasant as the Consular Reps were, I saw a fair number of applicants turned away for rework of minor issues as there was zero tolerance for non-compliance]...

I think it wise that you're working to understand the requirements/processes with lots of lead time even though you may not be able to act immediately [for China--at least when using the Houston Consulate in late 2013--the application could not be submitted more than ninety days prior to first entry; not true if using the New York Consulate]...

Visa requirements and application processes are too dynamic/too variant for cruise lines and travel agents to reasonably master them/keep current and, with so much at stake, I understand their reluctance to take accountability for changes/misunderstandings between internal staff and the guest/client... Similarly, I would not personally--YMMV--rely on the advice of well intended Roll Call participants in such matters; sometimes such representations are dated/based upon past experience and sometimes such representations are based upon incomplete research and/or understanding of current practice; I've seen both...

Hope this helps and hope that, whatever is required, that you sail through the entry process and enjoy your trip! India is on my Bucket List!

Thank you so much for this information. The links are extremely helpful!

What can you use for the India reference? Celebrity Cruises? Obviously I know no one in India.

Note to OP we live near Chicago and so we can apply in person. I was told that you can have your pictures taken at the appointment

You certainly should pay attention to Xport's post. And to the Indian Embassy. (The US Embassy, well, that's up to you).

Some people on our cruise used the port agent address and phone, We used the phone&address of the private tour company* that we planned to use. I don't know what the right answer is.

Steven

* we were very happy with Mumbai Magic in Mumbai and Kochin and will use them in Delhi and Jaipur next year.

We used the Port Agent as our contact in India. I think we phoned the cruise line to get the info, but I don't remember.

When we went to the company that processes the visas (not the embassy) they told us they needed copies of our drivers licenses as well. That was NOT mentioned anywhere in the instructions for the visa. We had to have them make the copies right there, and of course there was a charge for that.

Lots of red tape, questions to answer, etc, but well worth it. We had four days in India on our cruise, and it was fascinating.

I can confirm that a Visa is required for a visit to India. If you do not have one you will not be able to get off the ship. They now offer a 10 year multi-visit visa which is obtained by their US Visa Processing agent -Cox and King Global Services -

I read many horror stories on getting one so did a lot of research and processed mine in person in San Francisco. I found a fantastic guide which I will attach the link and followed it exactly. I was able to receive my Visa in 3 Days. Know what I was doing I process my Spouse's visa which was a bit more complicated as he hold dual US / EU Passports by mail and was approved in 5 days.

The guide can be downloaded here:

http://www.traveldocs.com/uploads/forms/IndianAppGuide.pdf

For an address in India I used a Hotel - I used Hilton even though was not going to stay there but I hear the Port Agent is fine also.

The most important thing I learned was -

1. Make sure your application is perfect. Any error will be returned and must be re-processed from the beginning.

2. Follow the guide eactly. It will tell you when they mean by many of the questions that seem odd to an American.

Feel free to ask questions and I will gladly help.

Jim

Michael

All guests must have proper Indian visas at check in or will be denied boarding.

• Indian immigration authorities will not allow entry without a valid visa. Indian E-visa's are not applicable when entering India via a sea port.
  • Indian authorities require one photo copy of the photo page of a guest's passport for each Indian port visited - the guest should bring these with them.
  • All guests must complete the provided "yellow card" during the debarkation and embarkation process in India.

The information above is only applicable to U.S. and Canadian citizens. All other guests should review the visa requirements for each country on their sailing itinerary with their Embassy/Consulate or a Visa service of their choice.

Been There, Done That:

In the US the only way to get the visa is through the Indian Government's contracted company, Cox & Kings Global Services (CKGS).

India just started a "Visa on Arrival" program, similar to many other countries. It does us no good, as it only applies to travelers arriving by air, at specified airports.

US Citizens can only apply for the 10-year, multiple entry visa. Other options appear on the web site, but are not available to US Citizens. This is due to how the US allows applicants from India to proceed.

If you, a parent or grandparent is of Pakistani origin, or from an area that was formerly Pakistan, the process will be far more complex.

In May of 2014, the Indian government switched to CKGS from a prior contractor. From all accounts the prior contractor was a mess. Then at the time of the switch there was additional confusion and problems.

Now, things seem to be straightened out. Our applications were mailed on Dec 24, 2014, and the passports with visas were received on January 7, 2015. Two weeks total, including mailing time, and that period had two holidays in it.

The state in which you reside determines which of the five CKGS processing centers you will need to use. They correspond to the five Indian consulates in the US. Make sure you send to the correct one.

Despite what some say you cannot "apply on line" You start on line at the CKGS website, where you get several of the forms you need, and from there link to the Indian government website where you complete your actual visa application. However, all forms must be printed and forwarded to CKGS.

The forms require numerous signatures, and specify exactly what information is required. If they ask for a form, it is not optional. A missing form, missing or incorrectly provided information, or missing signatures will cause a delay, while you forward the corrected information. Follow the directions to the letter!

You can pay for the visa ($175.10 total) on the CKGS website, and print out your receipt. It must be included in your packet. You can also mail a money order in with your packet.

Send all your forms, along with the required copies of your passport's picture page, your driver's license or other document proving your address, and your passport itself.

You must include a method for return of your passport. CKGS has a method where you can pay for FedEx return shipping on their site. However it was down when I applied. It's cheaper to enclose your own pre-paid return envelope. Priority mail flat rate envelope is less than $6.00.

If you submit 2 or more applications in one package, submit a separate return envelope for each. We had three in one submission. Inside the large envelope mailed to them, each application packet, including each return envelope, was inside its own package. There are many stories of only one of several passports being returned if there's only one return envelope included.

You can track the progress on the CKGS website. If there's no progress on your applications after 48 hours from when your tracking call CKGS Help Desk at either 516-206-1483 or 646-589-0088. They then seem to be able to manually get the status updated into the system.

Harris

Denver, CO

@TxnAquarian

I think we have cruised together over the holidays before. South America two years ago maybe? I'm on your cruise this year too and am also wondering about visas.

If you find out the contact info for the port officer, can you please post it our roll call?

Edited by bludevil