Can I do this?

valandemmy

I have an AFT penthouse on the getaway in 3 weeks and just had the amazing thought of flying a kite off the balcony...

Wife thinks the would through us overboard (lol)... anyone know if this is allowed...or would I have to walk the plank of I tried it?

Nothing specifically prohibits kite flying, but they do prohibit any debris from leaving the ship and entering the water.

How can you guarantee the kite doesn't end up in the drink? You can't. Therefore, no... please refrain from flying a kite. (Protip: Yours is not an original idea. Search the forum for "kite".)

My common sense and good judgement tells me it is not allowed but I also believe it doesn't hurt to ask. I really think this is a question to ask the cruise line directly.

I have never seen a single kite hanging off a cruise ship which also leads me to believe it is a no-no.

We had 2 aft balconies until we recently upsold to an owners suite and connecting forward penthouse and my dad would joke about brining a fishing rod and do some trolling. Unfortunately I think fishing from the cruise ship may also be a no-no (and I think the ship will be going a little too fast for trolling). :p;)

Edited by kdzkatz

I have an AFT penthouse on the getaway in 3 weeks and just had the amazing thought of flying a kite off the balcony...

Wife thinks the would through us overboard (lol)... anyone know if this is allowed...or would I have to walk the plank of I tried it?

The kite and kite string could get caught up in any number of things or pieces of equipment that should not have a kite or kite string caught up in them. Don't do this.

The idea of kite flying is new to me, but I'm fairly sure that it would not be considered the best idea.

I always like the person who wants to hang a hammock on the balcony and sleep under the stars. It's probably been done, but can think of lots of reasons why it might not be a great idea.

Now bubble blowing sounds like fun:)

Edited by kcwingwalker

What an awesome idea! Almost certain to be an official no-no but now you have me thinking too :)

As someone else suggested, bubbles are great fun - we've done this to entertain our kids.

The fishing post made me chuckle - I can just imagine hooking a 300 lb black marlin at 20 knots and watching it tail-dance on the wake (or more likely watching the rod and reel - angler attached or not - disappearing in aft seas).

While flying kites at the beach I have had them whip uncontrollably side to side, up and down, crash, etc. I would think it would be worse on the ship. You could seriously hurt someone!

While flying kites at the beach I have had them whip uncontrollably side to side, up and down, crash, etc. I would think it would be worse on the ship. You could seriously hurt someone!

Yes--a big possibility.....or totally damage some ship equipment . NOT a good idea at all...

We had a person on our repo cruise let a ballon lantern go off the aft of the ship. The down draft brought it directly down to the balcony next door to us. We woke to someone banging on our door. The guy who launched the ballon was trying to find out which balcony it landed on. Needless to say our neighbors were quite upset. They wanted the person kicked off the ship. The funny thing is my husband thought he saw a bright light go by our balcony. It was actually burning up on the balcony floor next door

We had a person on our repo cruise let a ballon lantern go off the aft of the ship. The down draft brought it directly down to the balcony next door to us. We woke to someone banging on our door. The guy who launched the ballon was trying to find out which balcony it landed on. Needless to say our neighbors were quite upset. They wanted the person kicked off the ship. The funny thing is my husband thought he saw a bright light go by our balcony. It was actually burning up on the balcony floor next door

Wow! Would dislike that fire hazard too!

Years ago when my kids were young I'd bring kits and they would fly them on every cruise. But eventually every cruise line started to prohibit this and we did switch to bubbles. Fun -- but not the same :)

Years ago when my kids were young I'd bring kits and they would fly them on every cruise. But eventually every cruise line started to prohibit this and we did switch to bubbles. Fun -- but not the same :)

Seems bubbles would also break the rules about not dumping ANYTHING into the sea. I can see how it would be fun for kids and Lawrence Welk fans, especially with the right music.:D