Healthy eating do's and don'ts

Hi all, I'm leaving on the LOS May 29th sailing and just need to pick some brains. Iv'e asked some of these questions in some other threads and I think they must be getting looked over because I have yet to get a reply on any of them.

I have recently made the change over to low carb/hight fat and protein lifestyle. I have since lost 5 lbs and almost 17". I lost some weight prior to our last cruise and sabotaged my diet and gained it all back and then some. I DO NOT want to do that this time around as I am loving how I feel so much better than I did before. So here are a few of my questions. I'm hoping to find answers to all of them. Thanks!

1) Is there anywhere on the ship that I can get almond/coconut/soy milk? If so, is there an additional cost for that? I've seen the little juice box type ones at the grocery store but not sure if that's something they will allow me to carry on or to bring on in my checked luggage.

2) Have any of you brought your powdered protein shake mix on board? How did you bring it, carry on or in your checked luggage? Did you bring it in the original container or in something else? What was that something else that you brought it in? I thought about bringing it, but I don't want to risk them taking it from me especially since it's so expensive.

3) Have you ever brought any of your low carb snacks with you? I know there is a lot to eat on the ship, so I don't want to hear about that part because I already know. just kind of looking for something when I get the munchies and don't want to hit the Windjammer or in the evening when we are already settled in for the night.

4) What are your go to meals in the MDR that are low carb? I'm not a picky eater at all so I don't have that to worry about. Lol!

5) What items have you found in the Windjammer that you like that are also low carb?

6) We are looking at possibly dining in one of the specialty restaurants while we are on board. Which in your opinion would fit the low carb diner the best?

7) Does Sorento's offer salads? And is there a fee to eat there? Man I make it sound like we have never cruised before. Lol! I've just never eaten at any of the other places but the MDR and WJ.

8) Does it cost to get something at the Cupcake Cupboard (asking for my daughter, Lol)

9) Squeeze juice bar, I've heard serves protein shakes. True? Can they be purchased on the beverage pkg?

Sorry for all the questions :-)

1. Fill out special request form to ask for lactose free diet

2. Yes you can bring protein shakes no restrictions if it's powdered

3. Same on snacks

4. MDR more difficult but again you can ask your waiter about carbs in meal... Sauces will be your big issue so watch that and of course all the bread, rice etc..typical carbs

5. Tons of stuff, a lot of meat, veggie choices it's buffet style so a lot of options

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Sorry hit send instead of return [emoji854]

6. Don't know I tend to stick to complimentary venues

7. Mostly pizza etc. some antipasto don't know if they have salads been awhile and it is complimentary

8. Yes cupcake cupboard is a la carte

9. You can get smoothies as part of beverage package but protein powder costs extra

Hope this helps

I've seen the little juice box type ones at the grocery store but not sure if that's something they will allow me to carry on or to bring on in my checked luggage.

2) Have any of you brought your powdered protein shake mix on board? How did you bring it, carry on or in your checked luggage? Did you bring it in the original container or in something else? What was that something else that you brought it in? I thought about bringing it, but I don't want to risk them taking it from me especially since it's so expensive.

3) Have you ever brought any of your low carb snacks with you? I know there is a lot to eat on the ship, so I don't want to hear about that part because I already know. just kind of looking for something when I get the munchies and don't want to hit the Windjammer or in the evening when we are already settled in for the night.

The soy milk seems very specific. I think I'd bring the small "juice box" stuff. They don't want you to bring your own alcohol, but they aren't going to care about these.

I think I'd skip protein shakes. Too much trouble to mix up, and you won't have proper dishwashing equipment.

One onboard low-carb snack people don't always know about is trail mix in the British pub. You have to ask for it, but we really like it. It's usually peanuts, raisins and white chocolate chips. They serve it in a carafe that's easy to keep in your room.

What type of low-carb snacks do you eat at home? Bring those. Cheese doesn't actually need refrigeration; it just lasts longer if it's kept cold. Beef jerky sticks.

1. Fill out special request form to ask for lactose free diet

2. Yes you can bring protein shakes no restrictions if it's powdered

3. Same on snacks

4. MDR more difficult but again you can ask your waiter about carbs in meal... Sauces will be your big issue so watch that and of course all the bread, rice etc..typical carbs

5. Tons of stuff, a lot of meat, veggie choices it's buffet style so a lot of options

Do you bring your snacks and protein powder on your carry on or checked luggage. Thanks!

4) What are your go to meals in the MDR that are low carb? I'm not a picky eater at all so I don't have that to worry about. Lol!

There are nights where I have just requested a 'house salad' for dinner. I am picky on dressings (only like a bit of French if available), so otherwise I eat it 'naked'. Then for dessert I usually request a dish of berries, mmm. Pretty low carb, other than a roll that sometimes sneaks onto my plate! :D

1) Is there anywhere on the ship that I can get almond/coconut/soy milk? only by contacting special needs ahead of time.

2) Have any of you brought your powdered protein shake mix on board? do not try and 'smuggle' it(hide it) . but yes you can bring it on board

3) Have you ever brought any of your low carb snacks with you? Factory sealed items only.

4) What are your go to meals in the MDR that are low carb? I'm not a picky eater at all so I don't have that to worry about. Lol! the menu lists items that are lighter. by now you should know what to avoid and they will substitute double vegetables for the starchy sides.

5) What items have you found in the Windjammer that you like that are also low carb? the same things you can find at any buffet

6) We are looking at possibly dining in one of the specialty restaurants while we are on board. Which in your opinion would fit the low carb diner the best? not portofinos.

7) Does Sorento's offer salads? And is there a fee to eat there? Man I make it sound like we have never cruised before. Lol! I've just never eaten at any of the other places but the MDR and WJ. no fee. I do not remember salads just sandwiches, wraps and the pizza. and some really tasty desserts.

8) Does it cost to get something at the Cupcake Cupboard (asking for my daughter, Lol) yes

9) Squeeze juice bar, I've heard serves protein shakes. True? Can they be purchased on the beverage pkg? I think the protein powder is not included in the drink packages but I could be wrong

Sorry for all the questions :-)

Low carb is easily doable in most venues.

9) Squeeze juice bar, I've heard serves protein shakes. True? Can they be purchased on the beverage pkg?

I don't know, but personally, I wouldn't buy a protein shake or smoothie anywhere that I couldn't get an exact carb and fiber count for it. You could jeopardize your entire day by making one wrong choice.

Contrary to many people, I find the buffet is my friend. I can load up on salads (lots of fresh veggies to choose from) and protein (plain chicken breast, cottage cheese, sliced cheese). It's yummy. :)

I found the cheese plate in the dining room to be less than appetizing - it's a couple of small pieces of cheese, plus dates and dried fruit crackers - not exactly what I was looking for.

An "alternate" to the protein shakes is yogurt. Other than the taste, yogurt can be used as a good substitute for the powder base. Getting basic, unsweetened yogurt is easy.

But before doing it, try it at home.

Also- every dish has a starch side- just ask to change it to mixed veggies. They are all quite good.

Many times, Sorrentos will have sliced meat that you can add to the salads they have. They just don't have cheese.

All in all, temptation will be your biggest enemy. You can do it.

A Cheese plate can also be ordered daily in MDR as a dessert. you can ask for one to take back to the room with you. Not certain if it is on the room service menu ...might be?

It may not be on the menu, but we get cheese plates and fruit plates all the time from room service.

Feel sure you go out to restaurants at home.

Try to think about it as if you were eating at a restaurant for every meal.

It's always possible to order something reasonably healthy. :)

Note: The cupcakes for your daughter are at an extra charge.

She might enjoy that "cupcake making" if it's offered.

Just FYI most fruits,especially berries cantaloupe dates oranges and apples are high in sugar so high carbs most are around 21 carbs. Just to compare 1 slice bread has 15g of carbs. So if you are trying to watch carbs then avoid those high sugar fruits. Some good fruits include strawberries .5 g and honeydew melon 10 g and grapes aren't too high at 15g per serving

Just FYI most fruits,especially berries cantaloupe dates oranges and apples are high in sugar so high carbs...

Actually, berries are a good source of fiber and therefore the net carbs are lower. They are lower in carbs than other fruits, making them an excellent choice.

For number 3: My suggestion would be in the morning grab a few hard cooked/boiled eggs and store them in the "fridge" in the room to keep on hand. Just keep in mind they can't be removed from the ship.

For number 4: As already suggested, just ask for stuff unsauced. I have also found some of the breaded coatings will come right off. One good go to appetizer might be the escargot. Just scrap the topping off the dish. Nothing better than snails and butter...

For number 5: Most of the time there will be fish w/ the sauce on the side. Another tip might to scout out the gluten free section. Some times if they have something like fried chicken in the main section, the gluten free are might have a non breaded version. Same thing would apply to having something non breaded in general.

My sisters is low carb and found it doable on our cruise. There's always something you can find in the buffet. In the MDR stick with the favorites and ask then not to add sauces or put the starch side on the plate.

She doesn't do protein shakes so I can't help with that, but I suggest taking the protein powder in the original packaging as opposed to putting it in a ziploc bag or container. The single serving packets would probably be best.

Actually, berries are a good source of fiber and therefore the net carbs are lower. They are lower in carbs than other fruits, making them an excellent choice.

Actually they fall into a moderate category not low. The term net carbs is still more of a trend/ marketing ploy in response to the popularity of the Atkins diet from years ago rather than a proven concept. While dietary fibers are better carbs that straight sugar carbs usually they are a small percentage so the research is still out on affect on blood sugar. As a diet in general going low carb isn't the best choice as often it is water weight and unless you stay on the low carb diet you will gain the weight back. This has been proven with most "diets." Any way continuing the fruit discussion...any low or reduced carb recommendation will also include restricting fruits including most berries(not strawberries which are perfect LOL). As for the overall thread of healthy dos and dont's.

Its actually fairly simple expend more calories than you intake.

1. Change you lifestyle rather than "diet"

This doesn't mean if you are overweight in an effort to lose you suddenly start working out 5 days a week and eating a 1200 calorie diet. That would do more harm than good.

2. Exercise

If you don't work out at all then start with walking at a moderate pace once a week for a month, then add an extra day after a few weeks. Preferably some type of strength training as muscle burns more fat than doing cardio all the time.

3. Watch calories not carbs and fats (unless you are diabetic-different rules)

This doesn't mean that you can eat all the carbs and fat you want it just means pay attention to the calories which will naturally have you avoiding certain carbs and fats because they are higher in calories...

4. Have a partner to keep you "honest"

This partner can be a friend, family, stranger, smart app. Whatever helps you. the hardest part especially when starting is honestly starting LOL. Then its knowing the right way to keep up.

5. Know that this is a lifestyle change and not a restriction. We are notorious for making things too restrictive and cheating because its so restrictive or have a "free" day because we did so "good" during the week. BTW that free day almost always negates the entire week because you have to take into account the calories for the week when actually trying to loss weight.

The information below is directly from the Mayo clinic:

Because 3,500 calories equals about 1 pound (0.45 kilogram) of fat, you need to burn 3,500 calories more than you take in to lose 1 pound. So, in general, if you cut 500 calories from your typical diet each day, you'd lose about 1 pound a week (500 calories x 7 days = 3,500 calories)

So slow an steady folks and you CAN do it (not effortless). They whole process does take conscious effort when you begin because its often a new way of looking at food. But often what you will find is that you aren't starving you don't deny yourself (just remember if you have a treat you just need to take those calories from somewhere else)

This post got to big...Sorry so Ill get off my soapbox now. Happy trails:):D

I've lost about 30-35 lbs in the last 5 months. Lots of protein with chicken, fish, eggs, non-fat yogurt, and cheese. Lots of veggies and fruit. A little dark chocolate and a small dessert once a week.

NO potatoes, bread, pasta, or rice.

I eat out 2 meals a day. Order whatever I want with no potatoes, etc. Throw the bun or bread away, or order without.

I've cruised 34 days during this time.

Walking more days than not.

It's not been that hard to do. Nothing fancy or time consuming to figure out; just NO potatoes, bread, pasta, or rice.

Edited by pcur

5 lbs and 17 inches? You must be tiny????

I lost 50 in the past 6 months and only dropped 1 pant size!!! 36 to 34 lol.

Not as tiny as I used to be. Before losing I was at my all time heaviest. Since I'm 5 ' short that doesn't help matters either. Having kids pretty much changed my metabolism :-(

I was HORRIBLE today with my eating so I know tomorrow I will regret it but oh well, whats done is done.

I don't do scales ( my doctor can do that for me, and I get obssesive, anyway, when I weigh myself); I do clothes. I've been altering so many clothes the last few months, it's become a part-time job. I've gone down at least two sizes, and I hate wearing tight clothing. So, I'm probably down 3 sizes.

Edited by pcur