Would mead count as/toward the carry-on wine policy?

sppunk

Anyone have a clue if they'd consider mead the same as wine?

HAL published policy says champagne or wine. I think you're probably out of luck unless the label actually calls it honey wine in addition to mead. Even that's probably iffy.

A meadery that sells no other alcoholic beverages does so under a wine license. Technically wine is fermented fruit only but federal and state licensing regulations don't have a separate category for fermented honey.

What the person at the ship gangway says is all that counts and they may have more detailed instructions than the published policy.

Edited by Cruising Is Bliss

I have no idea but would start by comparing the alcohol content to wine. If higher i suspect you are out of luck. If similar you can try to say it is wine by another name.

Good luck with it.

Many security guards disallow Port because it's fortified wine, so I would think they would object to mead.

That said, I was once allowed to bring on Limoncello in Naples when I jokingly called it "lemon wine". I don't know if he believed me or just decided to let me get away with it anyway. I'd say it's worth a try to bring mead, and say it's "honey wine"! :D

Edited by jtl513

HAL published policy says champagne or wine. I think you're probably out of luck unless the label actually calls it honey wine in addition to mead. Even that's probably iffy.

A meadery that sells no other alcoholic beverages does so under a wine license. Technically wine is fermented fruit only but federal and state licensing regulations don't have a separate category for fermented honey.

What the person at the ship gangway says is all that counts and they may have more detailed instructions than the published policy.

Yeah, that's my question too. It IS fortified wine - and not really liquor at all - but if Port isn't allowed then I don't see mead being either.

The person at the gangway probably has never even seen a bottle of mead - it's not exactly Jack Daniels in popularity! :)

Similar threads in the past have discussed cider and whether it's a wine as both are drinks made from the juice of crushed or pressed fruit. In the end, it's whatever the security personnel believe it to be.

Edited by Fouremco

Google clearly says mead is not wine. I don't think you would be allowed to carry it on.

I can also find many WEB sites that say that mead is wine. However, as many have said, it is what the idiots at the gangplank say that counts although the OP might bring some WEB printouts to bolster his case that mead is wine.

I did find this definition on the American Mead Makers Association site -

"WHAT EXACTLY IS MEAD?

As defined by AMMA:

Mead is a wine from other agricultural products or a malt beverage derived (1) from honey and water, OR (2) from a mixture of honey and water with hops, fruit, spices, grain, or other agricultural products or flavors allowed in the production in wine, in which honey represents the largest percentage of the starting fermentable sugars by weight of the finished product, and having the taste, aroma, and characteristics generally attributed to mead, and sold or offered for sale as mead"

DON

I can also find many WEB sites that say that mead is wine. However, as many have said, it is what the idiots at the gangplank say that counts although the OP might bring some WEB printouts to bolster his case that mead is wine.

DON

The security personnel are given a thankless job to do. I don't think that there's any need to call them idiots just because they might not classify mead as being a wine.

Calling Mead "honey wine" is the same as calling cider "Apple wine", or beer "barley wine" - when, in fact the proper definition is that mead is fermented honey, cider is fermented apples and wine is fermented grapes.

The crew's job is hard enough without people continually pushing the envelope. Forego your mead for a week.