Caribbean.. Where and when?

Hi, Having organised our first cruise earlier this year for a party of 10 (Epic, Canaries/Madeira, 5 couples) quite successfully I have been given the task of finding a Caribbean cruise next year for us all...

My question is which itinerary/islands do you recommend and when is the best month to go?

I am reading many reviews, am quite addicted to them actually! I love the look of them all!!!!

I have my eye on one at the minute on the Gem, 3 nights in NY then 10 day eastern Caribbean...San Juan, St Thomas, St Maarten and Tortola at the end of Jan '17.

Is this a good time to go weather wise? (which months are best to avoid?) and do these islands do a Caribbean cruise justice? (We are in the UK, We want picture postcard beaches in the middle of our bleak winter!)

Thank you in advance! any help/suggestions appreciated.

I would not do a winter cruise from New York if you don't need to. If you want to be warm fly right to Florida and leave from there.

I agree. NY in Jan could be blizzard conditions with cold weather until almost south Florida. I also would try to sail out of Miami instead.

aaaw.. I sooooooo wanted to cruise out of NY!!!!! lol

I knew it would be cold in NY but I didn't think about it being cold on the ship for half the cruise going south/north, I guess I would be better sailing from somewhere warm to begin with, then can make more use of the top deck!!!!

aaaw.. I sooooooo wanted to cruise out of NY!!!!! lol

I knew it would be cold in NY but I didn't think about it being cold on the ship for half the cruise going south/north, I guess I would be better sailing from somewhere warm to begin with, then can make more use of the top deck!!!!

Sailing from New York in winter is great -we've done it several times; by early afternoon of the first sea day you will be entering the +/- 70 degree waters of the Gulf Stream- the second day will be comfortable, and the third day really warm. Coming back, your last full day will be chilly, but hardly "cold".

While I have doubts about the quality of the cruise experience on board NCL ships, their winter sailings to the Caribbean from New York are among the best itineraries available.

Another vote for the Gem into or out of San Juan. There is an October cruise from NYC to San Juan. Only issue there would be the hurricane possibilities that time of year. There is also a December San Juan to NYC cruise on the Gem. The islands are stunning and imho much more scenic than the canary islands. You could also add another 7 day to either of these cruises and see even more Caribbean islands. The prices are also great on these Gem cruises right now.

If you're interested there's a 10 day cruise, on the Jade, out of Tampa starting 1/15/2017.

The ports are similar to the Gem cruise you mentioned.

I thought I read the Jade has been chartered by Sixthman group for Jan and Feb.

I was afraid to sail out of NY but we did a 14 night on Breakaway the end of January and it was great. We were lucky to miss the big snowstorm by a week and had no problems with weather and it wasn't even all that cold the day we sailed but we hit a storm on way back and it was FREEZING in NY when we got back but sunny. We want to do it again. And Barbados is our FAVORITE stop - not sure if Gem goes there.

I would do a Southern or Eastern itinerary. You get the prettier beaches and water with that. I am doing a Western next and it will be fun, but you don't get the crystal blue water and sandy beaches, like the Eastern. With a Southern itinerary, you typically get more ports. St. Martin is great (although we've done the same water excursion both times, because it is such an awesome day) and St. Thomas, we go over to St. John....which in my mind, is exactly what a caribbean island is supposed to be. I know you didn't ask this, but if you're playing "travel agent", make sure you look at tripadvisor for excursion reviews. I have never been steered wrong using that site. Good luck!

I thought I read the Jade has been chartered by Sixthman group for Jan and Feb.

I was afraid to sail out of NY but we did a 14 night on Breakaway the end of January and it was great. We were lucky to miss the big snowstorm by a week and had no problems with weather and it wasn't even all that cold the day we sailed but we hit a storm on way back and it was FREEZING in NY when we got back but sunny. We want to do it again. And Barbados is our FAVORITE stop - not sure if Gem goes there.

Jade is taking over Feb. 6thman events for the Pearl and then going into dry dock immediately after (at least that's the plan this week). So, Jade is fine for January cruises, at least for now ;)

Flying into NY as well as cruising out of NY in January can be very unpredictable because of the weather. You would hate to miss you cruise because of a blizzard or other winter weather event in NYC. Those events seem to have been on the increase in recent years. I would definitely recommend flying to Miami or other Florida/Caribbean port as the first stop.

Go to NYC in the spring. It is lovely in the spring...perhaps you can plan trip for the group another year - perhaps an early Bermuda cruise out of NY.

Flying into NY as well as cruising out of NY in January can be very unpredictable because of the weather. You would hate to miss you cruise because of a blizzard or other winter weather event in NYC. Those events seem to have been on the increase in recent years. I would definitely recommend flying to Miami or other Florida/Caribbean port as the first stop.

Go to NYC in the spring. It is lovely in the spring...perhaps you can plan trip for the group another year - perhaps an early Bermuda cruise out of NY.

That's my thoughts about NY in the winter. It can be just fine...but cold. However, that is blizzard season. You just don't know.. For winter, I'd fly into Miami or Tampa for a cruise. I wouldn't chance NY.

Edited by roger001

Thank you to all for your comments!!!!

am definitely going to go January/feb time and more than likely go from somewhere down south as many have suggested, I think there are a few sailings with stays in New Orleans that I have looked at that I will revisit.

I do love NYC though, Went for a week 16 years ago... Was AMAZING!

Most of the Florida/Miami sailings were only for 7 nights though and the one from NY was a 10 day sailing for near enough the same price... decisions decisions!!!!

Thank you to all for your comments!!!!

Most of the Florida/Miami sailings were only for 7 nights though and the one from NY was a 10 day sailing for near enough the same price... decisions decisions!!!!

You have to remember that 10 days from NY is just like 7 days from a FL port. The extra 3 days at sea just get you to/from NY to the Bahamas/Miami area, where the island hopping begins/ends. You say the fares are about equal, but why spend the extra time on 3 days of cold weather cruising in January?

You have to remember that 10 days from NY is just like 7 days from a FL port. The extra 3 days at sea just get you to/from NY to the Bahamas/Miami area, where the island hopping begins/ends. You say the fares are about equal, but why spend the extra time on 3 days of cold weather cruising in January?

I never thought of it like that, you are right BUT I do like the idea of 3 days extra on a cruise ship for the same money... As we are going to be 5 couples minimum again, we have no fear of getting bored, We like (quite) a few beers, playing cards, poker etc.

Try looking at a repo cruise...I do the 14 day Boston to New Orleans on the Dawn every year it its fantastic... The ports this fall are San Juan, Bonaire, Aruba, Curacao, Ocho Rios Jamaica, Grand Caymans and Cozumel. The Beaches are great and the weather is in the mid 80's f everyday.