How much cash do I need to set up a seapass account?

Hey

I am a bit worried!

Lost my laptop to complete failure so had to buy a new one (£400/$600) this week which has put me dangerously close to my small overdraft limit and wiped out my cruise spend money but hey.I am cruising in a weeks time and don't want to put my debit card (don't use credit cards)on because of holds. I get paid on day 3 of the cruise so will be fine then but its a bit tight beforehand.

I was thinking of setting up my seapass account with cash (about £50/$75) to start then I can top it up later as I will be paid anyway. We have drinks packages already paid for so will just be paying for grats and the odd shop spend or two (don't gamble or use the spas etc).

Is this enough or do I need lots to set up an account?

I have read in places you need hundreds to set one up and also read you dont need anything so a bit confused!

Thanks.

Hey

I am a bit worried!

Lost my laptop to complete failure so had to buy a new one (£400/$600) this week which has put me dangerously close to my small overdraft limit and wiped out my cruise spend money but hey.I am cruising in a weeks time and don't want to put my debit card (don't use credit cards)on because of holds. I get paid on day 3 of the cruise so will be fine then but its a bit tight beforehand.

I was thinking of setting up my seapass account with cash (about £50/$75) to start then I can top it up later as I will be paid anyway. We have drinks packages already paid for so will just be paying for grats and the odd shop spend or two (don't gamble or use the spas etc).

Is this enough or do I need lots to set up an account?

I have read in places you need hundreds to set one up and also read you dont need anything so a bit confused!

Thanks.

You do not need to put any money down for a cash account. Once you have charged $500, then you have to go and pay that down to be able to charge more.

Thats good news...the RCL site said I did need to but until the 3rd day I can't afford a massive deposit.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, there is a bunch of outdated and inaccurate info on Royal's website.

Edited by clarea

Just be sure to pay off what's due (or overpay by a bit) on the second to last day, as the lines at guest services the final day can be brutal. They won't let you off the ship if you have a balance owed.

I'm sure there's a reason you're asking about cash, but you might be better off just putting a card down if you have one? They don't pre-authorize anything until you start spending on your SeaPass and even then, they don't authorize above what you've charged.

Just be sure to pay off what's due (or overpay by a bit) on the second to last day, as the lines at guest services the final day can be brutal. They won't let you off the ship if you have a balance owed.

I'm sure there's a reason you're asking about cash, but you might be better off just putting a card down if you have one? They don't pre-authorize anything until you start spending on your SeaPass and even then, they don't authorize above what you've charged.

If you read my first post the reason is an unexpected spend and sailing at the end of the month (get paid on the last working day of the month which is half way through cruise and from this point on I'll be ok). This means I am close to my overdraft limit.

The reason I dont want to use my debit card is because they put daily holds on (they have in the past) and grats are added on the second day.

I will probs be spending less than £100 due to having a drink package and spending in port.

we did a 4 night cruise in February , they gave us $300 credit, paid cash on the last night, we had a drinks package so our drinks were covered on the last night so our bill was just the graturities , suited us better so will do that every cruise from now on

Just be sure to pay off what's due (or overpay by a bit) on the second to last day, as the lines at guest services the final day can be brutal. ....

Just a note that if a cash account is closed, nothing can be charged on the SeaPass card after that.