Help us "order right" in the MDR

stampinantie

In so many of the food reviews folks say that the MDR is good if you "order right" I would love to see your opinions on the big hits and the big misses.

I'll start:

not so good:

Sweet and sour tempura shrimp

favorites:

Indian style vegetable cutlet is my daughter's absolute favorite.

muesli and raisin buns

How about you?

It can vary so much between sailings. Anything from wonderful to very mediocre. Trending to the latter.

We ask the waiter. We choose and ask. If he says nothing, we change, If he suggests something else we often change.

Our favourite dishes can be not so good if they are poorly prepared on one cruise or if they are served cold when they are supposed to be hot on another, etc.

It is a crap shoot.

I have only sailed with HAL once and it was the Eurodam. I often asked our waiter for recommendations, and often requested a taste of another entree in addition to my main entree. I was never disappointed.

But the standouts for me were Mushroom risotto, veal rack (the serving was so generous, three of us enjoyed this amazingly tender and flavorful cut), every curry - with a standout being the fresh salmon. The fresh, grilled trout was amazing. The best dessert was a Mille feuille layered with Macadamia nut ice cream that was presented artfully in tiny scoops that resembled the shape of the actual nut.

What my order 'right might b applies only to me.

I loved the apriliket stuffed quail. If you don't are vor quail. That would not be an 'order right for you. order wqat you like :D Duh

Edited by sail7seas

Valid point on the variations in ships, etc. Great tip on asking the server.

So, keeping that in mind...

The sweet and sour shrimp was prepared well, served hot and was awful.

The Indian vegetarian cutlet is always good, but better on some cruises.

The muesli varies, but is always the most delicious thing in the world.

Looking forward to trying some of your favorites...won't blame you if they aren't prepared well, cold or otherwise sub par on this particular cruise :)

DD loved the mushroom ravioli and we enjoyed all our meals in Pinnacle grill. I thought the veal tenderloin in MDR was odd. It was a flat and fairly dry cutlet. Not at all what I was expecting. The cheese plates (my standard dessert order) were all delicious but the portions small. I loved my steaks in the Pinnacle (sorry, we mostly ate there instead of MDR) and both times I had shrimp cocktail they were large and satisfying. The salad fixings in the lido were fresh and delicious. I thought the French onion soup in MDR was quite substandard.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yep, just order the same way you would at home. The only difference is if you want two appetizers order them. Same with entrée, you want two, order them.

The only thing I found strange was a couple of nights on one of our last cruise the menu had deserts at the bottom. When you ordered you not only had to order your meal, but your dessert! (I do have problems deciding on dessert before I eat my meal! hehe!) But really it was fine.

Thank you all. Can't wait to try some new things. I have been on enough HAL cruises that I am ready to branch out from my favorites.

As far as ordering in restaurants, I have maintained a 100 weight loss and I order the healthiest option on the menu at home. So, I don't do that on a cruise and can't wait to try your suggestions.

I love these posts - so arbitrary - I don't care for and or order what even my husband does - because we have different tastes -

The food is great - you don't have to cook or clean up --

Try new and different things - for you

Look at the menu and pick something --if you don't like it - on a cruise ship you can get something else --

Enjoy !!!!!

Starters:

Sweetbreads on the "Culinary council night" ( mostly last night)

Tuna/salmon tartar

Calamari fritti at embarkation lunch

Main courses:

Tenderloin and schrimp on first Gala night

Lamb shank

Prime rib was surprisingly tender last time

Desserts:

Mango Spire is one of my favourite desserts.

Hot fudge sundae

To avoid:

Any risotto: Risotto can not be made banquet style...never had a good risotto onboard any ship.

Question:

Did anyone try the Laquered Duck Breast on first Gala night? How is it???

I want to try it next week instead of my usual choice...

What I like, others may not like.

Even at home my DH and I differ in tastes.

When we go out -- he orders a lot of spicy salmon dishes. Me -- I have to have plain food.

Now I am handle the sweet and sour tempura shrimp -- love them over rice. DH asks for Sambal when he orders them.

Starters:

Sweetbreads on the "Culinary council night" ( mostly last night)

Tuna/salmon tartar

Calamari fritti at embarkation lunch

Main courses:

Tenderloin and schrimp on first Gala night

Lamb shank

Prime rib was surprisingly tender last time

Desserts:

Mango Spire is one of my favourite desserts.

Hot fudge sundae

To avoid:

Any risotto: Risotto can not be made banquet style...never had a good risotto onboard any ship.

Question:

Did anyone try the Laquered Duck Breast on first Gala night? How is it???

I want to try it next week instead of my usual choice...

Beautiful! I've never had sweetbreads and wasn't sure of trying them at sea, but I will soon! Great list. Lamb shank sounds like great choice and wouldn't never have guessed the hot fudge sundae, so thanks.

No one else in my family like raisin buns. Go figure.

Krentenbollen(raisin buns) are something I look forward toon every cruise. For my husband it's the mini chocolate croissants.

I can always count on HAL to have something to please everyone in our family.

Rijsttafel-sambal and ketjap manis please

Pinnacle grill burger(lunch) just do it. Trust me! So good!

LeCirque Chateaubriand or Lamb--excellent

For us we are almost always pleased. My issues are usually with seasoning or lack there of. I know many guests have issues with sodium so I am satisfied with S&P on the table😊

Krentenbollen(raisin buns) are something I look forward toon every cruise. For my husband it's the mini chocolate croissants.

For us we are almost always pleased. My issues are usually with seasoning or lack there of. I know many guests have issues with sodium so I am satisfied with S&P on the table😊

Yes! on the Indonesian food.

I think the food is wonderful, even not factoring in the huge volume and look forward to trying some things that aren't my "go to" list this cruise. Thanks for the ideas. Sounds like I will have to venture into the Pinnacle Grill, finally.

Have found the MDR food to have a chef-specific flavor; the sole on 1 cruise may be excellent and on a different cruise, just okay. The beauty is that if you do not like something, they will bring you something else. I like to experiment but now and again have had true misses for my palate.

Order what sounds good and enjoy!

That said, have never had a bad meal in the Pinnacle - the beef at lunch is well worth the extra charge!

For us we are almost always pleased. My issues are usually with seasoning or lack there of. I know many guests have issues with sodium so I am satisfied with S&P on the table

My sample with HAL is fairly small, but your seasoning issue is something I noticed. In my opinion, salt & pepper on the table is no substitute to properly seasoning food while it's cooking. I chalked HAL's lack of seasoning in comparison to other cruise lines to an attempt to cater to the older clientele. It's food is seasoned like food in a nursing home.

I'm enjoying this thread too. I know tastes are subjective, and dishes can vary from ship to ship, but I like to see the trend in people's responses. For example, if you ask the same question on Princess, you will get the same responses from a lot of people (fettuccine alfredo, twice baked goat cheese souffle, etc.) and you can bet that those are dishes worth trying. I do love both of the above, but ignore all the people who mention the escargots, because I would never eat them.

The hot fudge sundae IS quite good on HAL, and classic - just vanilla ice cream, hot fudge, and whipped cream on top plus one of those wafer cookies. Reminds me of going to Gifford's ice cream parlor in Bethesda, Maryland with my family long ago so I always order it.

My sample with HAL is fairly small, but your seasoning issue is something I noticed. In my opinion, salt & pepper on the table is no substitute to properly seasoning food while it's cooking. I chalked HAL's lack of seasoning in comparison to other cruise lines to an attempt to cater to the older clientele. It's food is seasoned like food in a nursing home.

Holland America's food became progressively blander to the point some foods are tasteless. It's a shame.

My issues are usually with seasoning or lack there of. I know many guests have issues with sodium so I am satisfied with S&P on the table😊

I'm a long way from a nursing home but I am on a salt-reduced diet. The problem with HAL isn't a lack of salt, it's a lack of other seasoning. In fact, I've given up on most of their soups and some of the other dishes because they are far too salty.

To the OP: our first choice on any evening would be a lamb dish, if it's offered. Beyond that, DW and I enjoy a wide variety of foods, especially ethnic or those not readily available at home. We were in the minority that enjoyed the international menu on the last night.