Live from Oasis Not Impressed

We do the best we can to get the best price we can for the cruise we want....and there are some things we don't want....we don't want an inside cabin. We prefer a balcony, and have treated ourselves to a JS once.

I am not so taken by 'private dining' or automatic show reservations, or having a butler to attend to my needs.....if we can get some extra perks from a TA for our business that is nice .......but I won't ever say, the only way I will cruise is in a suite.....seems like, I would be missing out on a few adventures if I was that closed minded. JMO.

How is it being close minded only to want to sail in a suite (I'd call that judgmental)? By your own admission, you won't sail in an inside cabin, so it's just that your price point/comfort requirement is lower.

ALL ships and cruise lines allow service dogs.

The question was whether RCI allow NON-service dogs. Although the answer is no, they also do not question somebody on the nature of the disability and why they need a service or assistance animal (I don't know if those are considered separate categories). I have seen dogs that I do not believe are anything other than pets being passed off as assistance animals. It makes me as angry as somebody taking advantage of military rates when they are ineligible (RCI don't check; I wish they would). But that's a different topic.:)

First impressions: way too crowded. Bar tenders not friendly despite extra tips and compliments on well made drinks. Cabin is the smallest balcony we have ever had. Closet and storage space minuscule. Diamond welcome gift is a plastic bag of nuts. Nothing other than a shampoo dispenser in the bath and no robes. No ice bucket and "cooler" (fridge) too small to store a wine bottle. Walls are paper thin and neighbors are LOUD. Kids running everywhere and banging on our door.

We're determined to have a good time anyway.

Just the facts, you decide. [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Wait till tonight when they are really having a great time.

I don't get the balcony thing??? I've been on Vision, Voyager, Freedom and Oasis class ships and the difference in the cabin size I could never notice.:confused::confused: Same with the balcony, we did have a hump balcony on the Indy and I could feel that being bigger but still all rccl balconies are nice size.

Hope you enjoy, I know we all enjoyed our 1st Oasis cruise a few months ago.

Sorry you're having a not so great experience so far. Am surprised with the comment about the cupboard space. We were a family of four in a Promenade (on Allure) and we were impressed with the cupboard and storage.

Also I'm in the club of not feeling it too crowded... especially considering its size.

Hope things get better for you.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

Edited by LuCruise

After the first day Allure felt much less crowded to me. First day everyone is wandering around, they funnel everyone to Windjammer, not many making use of Solarium and pools yet. So a lot of people are in the same general areas. By day 2 people start to find the areas they like and it feels a lot less crowded.

Some really nasty comments in this thread. If you can't handle anything less than glowing reviews of your baby, take a step back. OP is just sharing their impressions and experiences. Didn't even say anything really negative about RCI at all. They're allowed to share their opinions here, aren't they? Glad to see there have been some helpful posts as well but the negativity really sticks out.

I sailed on the Oasis last November and even through it was completely booked found it no more crowded than any other ship. Loved the entertainment but found the ship experience to be very impersonal. Would sail n it again, but prefer the smaller ships.

Oh yea, our purchased dining package not noted nor first night confirmed for the time requested at any specialty restaurant.

I had the same issue on my Freedom cruise last month. I think might just be incorrect information in the Cruise Planner. Although, I do wonder if it has to do with people being automatically booked into a restaurant or time that they didn't want & having to go make changes. I just went into the three restaurants I wanted to book on the second day & just made my reservations, no big deal.

I think you will end up liking the Oasis, like people have been saying concerning the crowds, after that first day people spread out & find what they like.

I just have to say. I don't like it when people jump on posters who say their opinion about a cruise. It is their experience. Good or bad. If I wanted to hear only things that are amazing. I would watch one of RCCL's commercials. I have been on MANY cruise with most all the cruise lines. Haven't found one yet that was perfect. But we almost always had a great time regardless. I want to hear what people have to say. Honestly. I don't want them to feel that they can not express their opinion on this board.

I just have to say. I don't like it when people jump on posters who say their opinion about a cruise. It is their experience. Good or bad. If I wanted to hear only things that are amazing. I would watch one of RCCL's commercials. I have been on MANY cruise with most all the cruise lines. Haven't found one yet that was perfect. But we almost always had a great time regardless. I want to hear what people have to say. Honestly. I don't want them to feel that they can not express their opinion on this board.

^^ This.

I agree-everyone is allowed to have their own opinion! And this is the place to express your own opinion. Don't attack other people because they don't agree with everything you say. I just came back from the May 7th Oasis cruise-my 11th cruise- 2nd time on Oasis- It was sold out and more crowded than my 1st cruise-the first week of Dec. 2010-duh!-which is usually a less crowded time of year to cruise. But- I still thought it was my Best Cruise Ever! Just because it was more crowded- I was not going to let it ruin my cruise. I just think it is strange that so many people let the little stuff "ruin" their vacations. Sort of like the fishing quote- " A bad day of fishing -is still better than a good day at work. " A cruise - or any vacation-is a treat! I feel blessed to have cruised so many times. Don't sweat the small stuff-enjoy your cruise.Stay in whatever room you enjoy/afford. If you need something-ask for it. Try to learn everything you can about your room/ship before you book-so you won't be disappointed that your room/balcony is smaller than you expected-if the cruise is sold out-expect crowds-waits for elevators/shows etc. Look up all the information you can in advance. And if something unexpected comes up- laugh about it- and move on. Years from now-you will probably remember this cruise-and those horrible kids-just be glad they aren't your kids.

Don't be so judgmental about traveling if you are "confined" to a wheelchair. My husband has a progressive neurological disease and is a full time wheelchair user. However he views the wheelchair or scooter as something that gives him the freedom to travel and do the things that he used to do when he could walk. I guess it is all in how you look at things.

The one thing I kept saying on my sold out, full capacity sailing (4/23) is how this ship doesn't feel crowded and all through the cruise I kept saying "I can't believe how it doesn't feel crowded " and I've been on plenty of crowded ships (Breakaway)

We were also on the 4/23 sailing and except for the pool areas( which is EVERY ship), it never felt crowded. We LOVED it & are already booked on the Allure for 3/5/17.

Bartenders: NO ONE better than Nancy at Sabor. We loved her! There was also a Ukranian girl in there with blond hair who was also a doll. Cannot remember her name. Tell them Kevin & Julie say HI. The whole crew in there were very nice.

Sky Bar: Alexander is a nice enough guy. Not overly 'smiley' but still works hard.

Champagne Bar: The gentleman who has the 'martini class', great guy. True master of the martini. Thomas, maybe?? My mind is slipping.

Oh yea, our purchased dining package not noted nor first night confirmed for the time requested at any specialty restaurant.

Take the shelf out of the fridge and it fits wine just fine.

Ditto

But what would these boards be without the thought control folk?

BTW I have been on several PERFECT cruises.

Inside cabin or pricey suite

both great, But being in a suite... as Dudley Moore once said about being Rich...It doesn't suck!

Wait, What...service animals are used for depression??

Hey I get depressed if I don't cruise 3 or 4 times a year, Does this mean I can take my beautiful Abby cat, who btw I miss terribly while on a cruise?

Suppose I can get my doctor to write a script?:)

No they don't, but service dogs can be for "depression" or anxity dissorters

No cruise line is allowed to ask what the handicap is. The dog will have "papers"

proving it is a service dog.

This is just wrong information. I can't let it go but I promise I'm not trying to be a jerk. :) First, there are no "papers". Any "papers" are not required and not worth the paper they are written on. You can actually buy "papers" on eBay. And "emotional support" dogs are not covered under the ADA and that is the only thing the cruiseline has to follow. Diabetic alert dogs? Yes. PTSD dogs? Yes. Dogs for "stress". Nah. They just allow people to abuse the system and bring their pets onboard because they don't want to offend or make anyone mad which is certainly their right to do so.

People who abuse the system are scum.

Edited by ryano

Not snippy IMHO.

We were on Oasis 3 weeks ago and followed a week on Oasis with 8 days on Navigator. I was really surprised that I enjoyed Oasis more. Navigator had been my favorite ship prior to that cruise. Love the Diamond Lounge on her. We had the same issue with no robes or toiletries the first day on both cruises. The steward took care of it on both ship when asked. Ice there daily after we asked. Red wine here so no need to put wine in the frig. Only thing that put me off on both cruises was the dogs on Navigator. We were in CHops and the table next to us had a dog in the ladies lap eating from the table. Dog was in clothes and a diaper. A small dog, but sure made me wonder if a dog had previously been at our table and how well it was cleaned. The dog was in the CL and DL and just negatively affected our experience ad many others. Then there was a loose dog on the promenade in the cafe just running around licking folks. Next time we saw it the same dog was in a ladies lap at the table. THis was a basset hound size dog. I love my pets, but I don't love cruising with other folks pets and I sure don't think they should be at the tables or loose. I know, I know before you jump on me re service dogs. These dogs did not act trained as service dogs.

I would have been livid :mad: Service dogs are "out of sight out of mind" when they are not working. NOT sitting at the table in Chops. That is just absurd. People like her give us that have REAL service dogs a bad name and I guarantee I would have had to at least say something. I can't believe Royal lets these people game the system like they do. Pet "ralphie" is NOT covered under the ADA and that's the only guideline Royal really has to follow. Sorry. This subject makes my blood boil every time

Edited by ryano