Transfer from Sun in Vancouver to Airport

Our departure flight out of Vancouver airport when we end our cruise in Vancouver does not leave until 2:30 - so we have plenty of time to get to the

airport.

Do you think it is best to just take the NCL "transfer bus" to the airport

(at least we'll be able to find it when we get off the ship)

We usually use a private car (or taxi) when we disembark - but sometimes that means we have to search for them at the port (!)

(Have not taken a cruise that ends in Vancouver before- so don't know the port lay-out)

COMMENTS ? SUGGESTIONS ?

THANKS !!

It might take a awhile to disembark in Vancouver, they are not know for being very organized. I have taken the Norwegian bus transfer to the airport and it works very well. It has been awhile since I have disembarked in Vancouver, so this may have changed but I think that you have to clear US Customs at the Vancouver airport which also could delay you a bit. The bus will be waiting just outside the door to the terminal to take you to the airport. The airport is a good 15 to 20 miles north of the city of Vancouver.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Our departure flight out of Vancouver airport when we end our cruise in Vancouver does not leave until 2:30 - so we have plenty of time to get to the

airport.

Do you think it is best to just take the NCL "transfer bus" to the airport

(at least we'll be able to find it when we get off the ship)

We usually use a private car (or taxi) when we disembark - but sometimes that means we have to search for them at the port (!)

(Have not taken a cruise that ends in Vancouver before- so don't know the port lay-out)

COMMENTS ? SUGGESTIONS ?

THANKS !!

Here is a pic of the taxi line from our May 16 disembarkation from the Sun. It was a good 40 minutes of zigzagging lines..db4a8971c9013a2e4021de52a49fcf36.jpg

40 minutes? I would drag my luggage to the Waterfront or Pacific Rim hotels to see if the line is shorter. It does not take me 40 minutes to walk 2 blocks for the $28 USD taxi carload.

Some may recommend the train.... the train station has you dragging your luggage 3 blocks.

Edited by xlxo

We did the Skytrain both ways to the Port in Vancouver. It was so inexpensive and very easy to use. The walk from the last stop to the port or nearby Hotel was blocks and very easy to navigate.

Public Transit

From Canada Place, Vancouver’s public transportation system is the most affordable transportation to the airport. From the terminal, walk south to Waterfront Station, about 400 yards. Take the Canada Line of the SkyTrain to YVR-Airport Station, westbound. The ride will take about 25 minutes and the airport will be the 12th stop from Waterfront Station. The SkyTrain runs about every six to 20 minutes, depending on the day and time, with less frequency late night, weekends and holidays. Travelers should note that before 5:30 a.m. on weekdays, 6 a.m. on Saturdays and 7:30 a.m. on Sundays and holidays, the Cordova Street entrance to the Waterfront Station will be closed and passengers must enter through the Granville entrance on Hastings Street. The first train from the Waterfront Station to the airport each day leaves at 4:48 a.m. and the last train leaves at 1:05 a.m. As of December 2013, service from Waterfront Station to the airport is $8.75 in Canadian currency, for adults, including the $5 airport surcharge.

Hop on the Canada line skytrain to the airport

Take the sky train it is fast, easy, and no waiting for 50 people to get on board before the bus can leave. And so much cheaper than NCL transfer

It is a very short walk to the sky train.

Another vote for the sky train! After the fiasco of waiting so long for a taxi post cruise, we easily took the sky train from our hotel (Hyatt Regency) to YVR after our two extended vacation days. We both had 2 rolling bags and managed easily for women in our 50's. Can't beat the very inexpensive price of $3.75 CAD.

As you leave Canada Place the entrance to the SkyTrain (Waterfront Station) is very close. Trains run every 6-8 minutes and the cost is well under $5. The journey takes about 40 minutes and unless you are unlucky with your timing you will be guaranteed a seat as you would be getting on at the terminus.

Mike

The terminal is right in the downtown core under the convention centre and Pan Pacific hotel. If you walk out of the terminal building you are surrounded by lots of high end hotels (including one just above the terminal) where it is easy to grab a taxi. No reason to stay in a long line down there.

That said, I would vote for Skytrain if you fell comfortable with going one block outside the terminal building with your bags. You want to get onto the Canada Line YVR train (at Waterfront station). The airport is just south of Vancouver on Sea Island and a quick train ride.

Edited by em-sk

Just a note when walking up the street to the Waterfront station, you may pass an entrance that says Waterfront station that looks like escalators going down. Dont go down this one! Its tempti g but go past it and turn left another block. Its a big brick building and the easiest way to the correct line. Walk in the main doors turn left to purchase ticket and trains are just past there That first entrace is to the train that goes east to west, you want south to north)

Edited by Lulubelle45

Just a note when walking up the street to the Waterfront station, you may pass an entrance that says Waterfront station that looks like escalators going down. Dont go down this one! Its tempti g but go past it and turn left another block. Its a big brick building and the easiest way to the correct line. Walk in the main doors turn left to purchase ticket and trains are just past there That first entrace is to the train that goes east to west, you want south to north)

I'm glad you mentioned this. A few weeks ago I had planned to take that first entrance but there was a very nice police man/security person by that entrance who directed us around the corner to the brick building.

I agree with other posters. Train was super easy (but that was Thursday when there with only one ship in port so not tons of cruise passengers). There was a nice lady by the ticket vending machines too to help with ticket questions and point us to the left to the elevator down to the Sky Train.

You are welcome. Its not like you wont eventually find the train to YVR but unless you are familiar and dont mind going up and down extra escalators and elevators and turnstiles with liggage, its not worth the hassle unless its a torrential downpour

The weekday fare to YVR is CAN$4.00 (before 630pm). There is no YVR add fare going TO the airport, only leaving. Just make sure you board the right train, as the line splits in Richmond and not all trains go to the airport. The Translink website (http://www.translink.ca) can be very helpful.

Edited by pdmartyn65

There is a direct train to airport that cost less $10.00. It is a 30 minute train ride. The train is a 5-10 minute walk. There are lots of things to do close to terminal. Google cruise terminal in Vancouver.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app