May 14th Escape - Fried iPhones

taffy12

Just off this cruise and I have a question: Did anybody else with Apple phones have any problems? My sister and I were in the same stateroom, and both of our iPhone 6's got fried during the cruise. Within a day of each other, both phones stopped charging. We were using different cables and different outlets - I plugged mine into the USB port on the bedside light and she used a regular outlet over the desk. The only similarity is that we were in the same stateroom and both plugged in to the ship's power. I'm thinking about reaching out to Norwegian, but I don't know who to go through. Can anybody advise? And did anyone else have the same thing happen?

Just off this cruise and I have a question: Did anybody else with Apple phones have any problems? My sister and I were in the same stateroom, and both of our iPhone 6's got fried during the cruise. Within a day of each other, both phones stopped charging. We were using different cables and different outlets - I plugged mine into the USB port on the bedside light and she used a regular outlet over the desk. The only similarity is that we were in the same stateroom and both plugged in to the ship's power. I'm thinking about reaching out to Norwegian, but I don't know who to go through. Can anybody advise? And did anyone else have the same thing happen?

NCL US Guest Relations (guestrelations@ncl.com) 866.625.1164

Include reservation number, stateroom number, ship, sail date,

We had 3 iphones charging daily and and 2 ipads charging periodically on your cruise with no problems.

Edited by BirdTravels

I saw a similar complaint on NCL's page regarding the Spirit. Sorry that happened to you but now I know to always use my own surge protector onboard to avoid that happening.

I hate to disagree with the OP on two threads on the same topic, but I doubt that there was a "power surge" that damaged their phones. While NCL is one of the few lines that does not specifically prohibit surge suppressors, be advised that use of a consumer surge protector can create a situation that could lead to damage or fire. Ships do not experience the voltage surges that are seen on shore, nor is the electrical system set up to accommodate surge protection devices that shunt power to ground. Despite every aspect of the ship being run by electronics, from the POS registers in the bars, to the navigational equipment, and the engineering control system that keeps the lights on and the propellers turning, there are no surge protectors on any of these devices, as they are not needed.

OP, what was your room number?

I have read (just now) that one type of damage that people have reported for the iPhone charging mechanism only shows up when the battery is allowed to go fully dead. So a lot of people may be walking around with fried iPhones but they won't know it until the day they try to charge them from 0%. And by then it may be impossible to know exactly how/when the damage occurred.

Unless it happened at exactly the same time, the odds of it being a surge from 2 different power sources are infinitesimal.

The more likely scenario is a bad lightning connector that screwed up the voltage regulation to the phone (phones don't just accept power anymore, they self-regulate and draw what's needed)

OP, what was your room number?.

Fortunately, our phones were still under warranty and Apple will replace them for free. We just lost information - pictures and such - that hadn't been backed up since we were at sea :-(. But we aren't looking for compensation. I just wanted to offer a word of warning, really, and then someone suggested we see if anyone else had the same issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My iPhone 6 stopped charging as well, but not from a cruise. Turned out it was pocket lint that was clogging the charging port. I cleaned it out with a brush and compressed air. works great now :)

I found out what brushes to use via Google....

Hello, I am sorry that happened- my Kindle stopped working the last day of my Breakaway cruise 3 years ago. I was fortunate in the sense that it was not at the beginning of the cruise. It was out of warranty so rather than spend money for a refurbished one I purchased a new one that was touch screen.

However, going forward I will only charge my ipod/tablet/kindle through one of those portable usb chargers that plugs in. I might bring an extra one from a black friday sale. I figure the charger will be significantly less value than the device I am pairing it with.

However, going forward I will only charge my ipod/tablet/kindle through one of those portable usb chargers that plugs in. I might bring an extra one from a black friday sale. I figure the charger will be significantly less value than the device I am pairing it with.

That's smart! I made a note to myself to do that. :cool:

Ouch that is an $$$$ fry.

I do that, not because I am worried about the phone being fried, but because I can charge the phone/tablet whilst they are locked in the safe.