Be aware: no written price confirmation for shorex booked by phone to be paid on ship

Turtles06

With so many folks now having the shore excursion credit as a promo item, and booking a shore excursion by phone in advance of the cruise but paying on board (and getting the shorex credit), I wanted folks to have a head's up that NCL will not send you a confirmation of the price of the excursion that you have booked. Here's what just happened to me.

We have the shorex credit as a promo, and the other day I called NCL's shorex desk to book an excursion for an upcoming cruise. The rep confirmed that we would pay on board, and receive the promotional credit then as well. She then promptly emailed me a confirmation of our booking. The only problem is that no price for the excursion is shown on the confirmation.

Because I've cruised enough to know that prices for shore excursions can increase over time (our cruise is many months away), and also that what Miami has in its records and the info the ship has may not match, I like to bring documentation with me confirming what I've purchased, ordered, etc. So I went back to my Vacation Summary on line to print off the description and price of the excursion, but since I'd already booked it, it shows a zero price.

So I called NCL shorex again and was told they have no way of sending me a confirmation of my booking that shows the price at which we have booked the excursion. Really? That's crazy. The rep told me not to worry, the price was showing in my reservation, and that's what we would pay on board. Okay I said, then please just send me a simple email, you to me, in which you tell me the price showing in my booking. Nope, can't do that either she said, but, she added, I totally understand why you'd like to have this, we just have no way of giving it to you! C'mon NCL, that's insane.

I've emailed my PCC, perhaps he can help.

But for going forward, here's what I've learned: if I book an excursion this way again, I will first either print out the description and price, or take a screen shot of that info, and only then will I call to book it. Sheesh.

Edited by Turtles06

I booked an excursion the same way 2 weeks ago and I was immediately emailed a shore excursion confirmation which included the price.

So it definately can be done. Super frustrationing but I would call again.

I booked an excursion the same way 2 weeks ago and I was immediately emailed a shore excursion confirmation which included the price.

Interesting. Thanks for this, I'll call again (I waited on hold 20 mins the last time) and report back.

Agreed. Did the same about two months ago. Received Shorex Confirmation pdf document tour code & desc, listing date, port, date/time, # of tickets and total price.

PDF was e-mailed immediately while I was on the phone.

Agreed. Did the same about two months ago. Received Shorex Confirmation pdf document tour code & desc, listing date, port, date/time, # of tickets and total price.

PDF was e-mailed immediately while I was on the phone.

Well, I just spoke to Shorex again and was told yet again that if you are not paying in advance for the excursion, but just booking it to pay on board, the emailed confirmation will not show the price. I asked for a Shorex supervisor. I was told that I could only speak to a Reservations Supervisor. More time on hold.

The Res Supervisor told me the same thing -- the confirmation for a shore excursion that is booked in advance by phone but not paid for in advance will not show the price. Beyond stupid. So I asked him to just send me a simple email with the price and he said he had no authority to do that, but he would speak to a Manager and see if he could get that authority.

This is utter nonsense. I wish NCL had a Latitudes Desk where you could speak to someone who was genuinely interested in helping. Both RCI and Celebrity have separate departments for their loyalty programs, and something insane like this would be taken care of in a minute.

That's crazy! What if you called the 800 number and just ask them to email you your Amenity confirmation and maybe that will trigger to send the shore excursions confirmation also?

I'm sorry you're getting such run around!

I am experiencing the exact same problem, so it's not just an issue with one person. Not only is the price of the excursion not printed on the amenity invoice, but it disappears from MyNCL. Had I known this would happen, I too would have printed the price information prior to booking. Yes, it's nice to have the $50 discount per excursion, but I would like to be assured that the discount is off of the early booking price and not the onboard price. When NCL makes it impossible to see the price, the temptation is to think that they are doing this for their own advantage. This is the kind of thing that drives me crazy about NCL.

I am experiencing the exact same problem, so it's not just an issue with one person. Not only is the price of the excursion not printed on the amenity invoice, but it disappears from MyNCL. Had I known this would happen, I too would have printed the price information prior to booking. Yes, it's nice to have the $50 discount per excursion, but I would like to be assured that the discount is off of the early booking price and not the onboard price. When NCL makes it impossible to see the price, the temptation is to think that they are doing this for their own advantage. This is the kind of thing that drives me crazy about NCL.

Thanks for posting this. It helps to know I'm not the only one...

I actually said to the supervisor who refused to send me an email confirming the price that it made me suspicious that NCL was trying to keep the door open to charging me a higher price on board. Oddly, he did not say "of course not." He just kept saying he could not send me an email.

Hi everyone

Had this issue a few weeks ago, and was told that they could not confirm the price because the price I would be required to pay was the price in place at the time I paid, not the price in place at the time I reserved. No clue if that is correct or not since price did not change on the excursion I was looking at.

Terry

I changed the times of an excursion yesterday and the FIT I received had a price BUT I see that it was before and not after we board. Would it work to say what excursions you have chosen and I am very happy to email it to you so you can have it for your records? ? I am happy to do that.

This "not having authority" to send an email seems pretty sleazy. I booked and paid for ours and then called the excursion dept. the rep immediately sent me an email- while we were on the phone - stating that I had paid in advance and would receive an OBC for $150 within 24 hrs of boarding. If he had the authority to do that I can't wrap my head around them not being able to confirm the price!!!

We are sailing in late September .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi everyone

Had this issue a few weeks ago, and was told that they could not confirm the price because the price I would be required to pay was the price in place at the time I paid, not the price in place at the time I reserved. No clue if that is correct or not since price did not change on the excursion I was looking at.

Terry

Well, of course that's exactly what CruiserBruiser and I are concerned about, but when I booked on the phone I was told the price we'd pay on board was the price they were quoting right then, and the the Shorex rep yesterday said the same thing --- she assured me that the price I will pay on board is the price that it is now, at the time of booking, which she says is set in my reservation. It's disturbing that you were told something else.

NCL really needs to deal with this mess.

I changed the times of an excursion yesterday and the FIT I received had a price BUT I see that it was before and not after we board. Would it work to say what excursions you have chosen and I am very happy to email it to you so you can have it for your records? ? I am happy to do that.

Thanks, that's very kind of you, but I'm pretty certain you have to be booked on my cruise to be able to pull up the actual excursion and price.

Don't worry ... I will get it one way or another. :)

Well, of course that's exactly what CruiserBruiser and I are concerned about, but when I booked on the phone I was told the price we'd pay on board was the price they were quoting right then, and the the Shorex rep yesterday said the same thing --- she assured me that the price I will pay on board is the price that it is now, at the time of booking, which she says is set in my reservation. It's disturbing that you were told something else.

NCL really needs to deal with this mess.

The reps are not known for their command of the policies and procedures. When I was told that, I said is there anyway to avoid that outcome, and was told that I could pay now, and get OBC refund when I boarded. I just decided it was all too much work, and just hoped for the best. Sicne there was no change in price for my excursion, it all worked out fine.

Terry

I booked three shore excursions a month ago, over the phone, for our July 3 cruise, and the prices appear on my confirmation email (I did not pay when I called). In fine print, it does say: "In the event of a discrepancy between the price listed in this confirmation and the price at the time of the booking, the latter shall be applied." Sorry you are having this problem :(

I just booked a few excursions but I'm leaving in June..this June, so NCL was happy to send me a confirmation of the price because it is very unlikely that the price is going to go down at this late late.

I think that NCL might be less than frank in their business practices so I would keep a paper trail as best you can.

You can pay when you book online or when you are on the ship. What you pay is either the cost available when you book online or the cost that is quoted on the ship. NCL will not allow you to book anything online and pay that price on the ship. Try doing that with the dining or drink package. You have to pay either at the time you book at one price or on the ship, often at a different (higher) price.

I am actually surprised that they even took your Shorex bookings without you paying at the time.

You can pay when you book online or when you are on the ship. What you pay is either the cost available when you book online or the cost that is quoted on the ship. NCL will not allow you to book anything online and pay that price on the ship. Try doing that with the dining or drink package. You have to pay either at the time you book at one price or on the ship, often at a different (higher) price.

I am actually surprised that they even took your Shorex bookings without you paying at the time.

This is how the current shorex promo is working. You have to call them to book, they do not charge you now, and the booking price less the promo credit is what you are supposed to be charged on board. That is how the Shorex Desk has explained it to me.

And if you read above, it's not just me.

This is how the current shorex promo is working. You have to call them to book, they do not charge you now, and the booking price less the promo credit is what you are supposed to be charged on board. That is how the Shorex Desk has explained it to me.

This is how it worked for me in March on the Breakaway:

1) pre booked 3 excursions by calling Excursion Dept

2) completed 3 excursions and my account was charged full price for each

3) 3 separate $50 credits were applied towards the end of the cruise (not one lump some of $150)

Some people may expect to see the booking less the credit but in my case it was full booking and then credit separately. Because the credit is $50 per day and some people will do 2 excursions, it is easier for the system to apply a credit then to write code to do all the calculations and if there is a cancellation, etc... plus, if the promo goes to $25 or $75 then it is much easier to implement fleet wide. Doing it this way also maintains the correct billing (excursion vendor payment, taxes, etc) because the promo is not from Island Tours or Billy's Alligator Adventure but from NCL.

Hope this helps set expectations

Edited by esm54687

That would seem to be the third option; booking by phone.

So if I wanted to prepay our shore excursions (I usually do to avoid a huge bill at the end of the cruise), I can't do so while using this promo? Even if I book over the phone like they require?

So if I wanted to prepay our shore excursions (I usually do to avoid a huge bill at the end of the cruise), I can't do so while using this promo? Even if I book over the phone like they require?

I have prepaid for my excursions - did not call the Shorex line- Afterwards (after reading the many threads here) I called, they told me I had 2 options

1. Cancel my excursions, refund the fee and then rebook them (not being charged till aboard)

2. Keep what I have and I WILL receive credit on board for my excursions AFTER completing each one . I chose 2 as i didnt want to deal with 1 . :)

Under the Terms & Conditions, it did not appear that pre-payment was part of the process. BUT I have read on here that they are now allowing it (and the rude supervisor with whom I spoke the other day said I could do it); just do it by phone and be absolutely sure they tell you that you WILL get the shorex credit on your on board account after you take the excursion. Keep a note of their name and your conversation.