New Pan amazing Canal

dontworry

When the Canal is finished will there be just one route going all the way through or will there be the old way and a new way. Have been through 3 times and loved it but want to be sure of seeing all of the changes next time going through. Also any firm dates as to when the new expansion will be in operation. Thanks.

Should be Panama Canal above, though I'm sure it will be amazing

It's a new traffic lane to accommodate larger ships. So if your on a cruise my guess is you could be on new or old. Or new canal will just accommodate ships that were too large for old canal?

Here is a link to the the new canal official website. Appears it is getting close to being completed.

http://micanaldepanama.com/expansion/

Edited by aliaschief

On our recent repositioning cruise, we were told that only the larger ships and freighters will be using the new canal.

The date for the opening of the new canal is years behind in being completed.

There will be times when and if there isn't much traffic on the new canal, regular size cruise ships and freighter may be directed to use the new canal.

Except for which set of locks you use during your transit, the passage through the Canal will largely remain unchained. The new locks are basically in sight of the present locks and just another "access" lane. Once you have passed through the locks the Canal transit will be essentially the same. The biggest difference between the two locks, no familiar "mules" will assist in your passage through the new locks. That job has been handed over to tugs.

The first official transit will be on June 26th, there will be only one transit on that day and it will be a southbound transit, which is the same direction of the first official transit when the Canal opened in 1914. Regular operations will get under way the next day. The ship to have the honors is the MV Andronikos 984x157 a Chinese owned container ship registered in the Marshall Islands. I have heard a rumor that the name of the ship was going to be changed to something more locally appropriate. So far just a rumor.

As you might expect, they are not really going to wait until the 26th of June to see if the new locks actually work, a bulk carrier is scheduled to begin test lockages on the Atlantic side's Agua Clara Locks prior to opening day. The MV Baroque is scheduled to begin the tests on June 7th.

There is no new canal.

They have built new larger locks beside the original three sets. see photos.

There has been dredging done to accommodate the larger vessels that will be able to use the canal.

So you may or may not use the new locks depending on the size of the cruise ship & traffic requirements. Other than that the passage through will be the same.

It's a new traffic lane to accommodate larger ships. So if your on a cruise my guess is you could be on new or old. Or new canal will just accommodate ships that were too large for old canal?

Here is a link to the the new canal official website. Appears it is getting close to being completed.

http://micanaldepanama.com/expansion/

Very interesting!

China COSCO Shipping has won the draw for the first transit through the Expanded Panama Canal during the waterway’s inauguration on Sunday, June 26. The shipping line’s container vessel Andronikos will be making the inaugural transit. The vessel, which has a maximum capacity of 9,400 TEUs, is 8.25 meters in beam and 299.98 meters in length…

In addition, more than 100 Neopanamax ships have already made reservations for commercial transit through the new locks, which will begin on June 27, 2016, following the historic inauguration.

Bill,

I was interested in seeing the SS Badger in your signature block. I grew up in Ludington and worked on the car ferries while I was in high school and college. My first trip was on the Badger in 1953 when they did an inaugural "cruise to nowhere" for dignitaries from Wisconsin and Michigan.

At that time there 8 ships sailing and I worked on all of them in what we would call today, the hotel department. At that time it was the Steward's Department (anything to do with the passengers).

I guess that is where I developed my love for cruising.

Daryl

So exciting for the pending opening of the expanded Panama Canal!

We will be going thru next April...we did the same repositioning cruise 10 years ago. We saw the early stage of expansion back then... We will be on the AFT, 5th deck on the Nieuw Amsterdam. One of the most amazing sights and sounds that day back in 2007. I think we could do this same cruise over and over again.

Looking forward to watch the event on the TV...would be nice in person!

Thanks OP for this thread!

SweetP

Last week Princess posted their schedules for Fall 2017.

They are offering a 10 day partial transit itinerary on CARIBBEAN PRINCESS throughout the season that advertises "new locks".

It will be interesting to see if HAL offers the new locks on what has been ZUIDERDAM's version of this itinerary once they release new schedules.

They are offering a 10 day partial transit itinerary on CARIBBEAN PRINCESS throughout the season that advertises "new locks".

It will be interesting to see if HAL offers the new locks on what has been ZUIDERDAM's version of this itinerary once they release new schedules.

Doubtful, because Zui can go through the old locks. CB cannot. She won the lottery to be the first cruise ship through the new locks. EM

For the partial transits, like Zuiderdam has been doing, it would be a nice feature if they could offer one way old locks, and new locks for the return.

However I doubt that is going to happen, because it would keep most passengers on the ship, thus not booking excursions.......

For me the attraction of the canal were the historic locks, not so much the rest of the transit. If you have never done the current locks, I would feel you miss a lot of the charm and history if you were to do a transit through the new locks only.

Bill,

I was interested in seeing the SS Badger in your signature block. I grew up in Ludington and worked on the car ferries while I was in high school and college. My first trip was on the Badger in 1953 when they did an inaugural "cruise to nowhere" for dignitaries from Wisconsin and Michigan.

At that time there 8 ships sailing and I worked on all of them in what we would call today, the hotel department. At that time it was the Steward's Department (anything to do with the passengers).

I guess that is where I developed my love for cruising.

Daryl

The Badger... that was great! I saw a documentary on the "Ferries of Lake Michigan" or something close to that title sometime in the 90s and wanted to see it in person. Finally the bride had some business in the Chicago area and that provided the perfect opportunity. The Badger of course isn't our only cruise, but it sure was a unique one. From it being the last coal powered ship on the Great Lakes to the Skinner steam engines... keeps a maritime geek in wonderland. I also never tire of telling DW that it was also our anniversary and I took her on a cruise! Very nice anniversary present I think;).

Just to expand a little on what has already been posted about ships using the old or new locks... There certainly has not been any guidance put out by the Canal that would prevent a present Panamax ship from using the new locks. I'm sure there will be a situation arise that will necessitate or at least be very convenient to have a smaller ship use the new larger locks. Since the new locks are intended to augment the present locks enabling the Canal to service customers that could not use the Canal previously, that is where their attention will be focused.

Looks like HAL will most likely be confined to using the present locks since even the K'dam is sized for the 100 year old locks!

For the partial transits, like Zuiderdam has been doing, it would be a nice feature if they could offer one way old locks, and new locks for the return.
Except in unusual circumstances, if a ship will fit in the original locks it will not use the new ones.

Looks like HAL will most likely be confined to using the present locks since even the K'dam is sized for the 100 year old locks!
Not true. It's 114.8 feet wide, or almost 9 feet too big. I'm not sure if the extra 39 feet in length is too much for the current locks or not. See http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/news/FastFacts.pdf

Edited by jtl513

However I doubt that is going to happen, because it would keep most passengers on the ship, thus not booking excursions.......

How so? The sets old and new locks are close to each other. Do people go on excursions after the ship passes the locks and then rejoin the ship once it is back at sea?

The Panama Canal cruise is great cruise. You can see the new locks from the old locks. So even if you are in the "old" locks, you will not be far away from the larger ships.

However, I found this interesting, even after opening the new, much larger locks, there will be ships that will not be able to pass through the Panama canal. These include the world's largest cruise ships, Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas, Even though they will fit within the new locks, they are too tall to pass under the Bridge of the Americas even at low tide.

Enjoy your cruise. The Panama Canal is something to see as many times as you can.

Except in unusual circumstances, if a ship will fit in the original locks it will not use the new ones.

The Panama Canal is a business, so in the end it is just a matter of $$$

The Panama Canal cruise is great cruise. You can see the new locks from the old locks. So even if you are in the "old" locks, you will not be far away from the larger ships.

However, I found this interesting, even after opening the new, much larger locks, there will be ships that will not be able to pass through the Panama canal. These include the world's largest cruise ships, Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas, Even though they will fit within the new locks, they are too tall to pass under the Bridge of the Americas even at low tide.

Enjoy your cruise. The Panama Canal is something to see as many times as you can.

Just did the Zuiderdam Sunfearer 2 months ago. Incl. the excursion up to the Pacific.

There was hardly anything you could see of the new locks from the ship. I guess you will be able to see the large ships once they are in the locks, but from the locks itself and their operation you can't see anything while in the old locks.

These include the world's largest cruise ships, Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas, Even though they will fit within the new locks, they are too tall to pass under the Bridge of the Americas even at low tide.
And now Harmony of the Seas, which I believe is two decks taller!

Edited by jtl513

Not true. It's 114.8 feet wide, or almost 9 feet too big. I'm not sure if the extra 39 feet in length is too much for the current locks or not. See http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/news/FastFacts.pdf

Thank you for the link. I feel that the link you provided probably has the best chance of being accurate. However I have looked at two different websites and have two completely different sets of figures that don't agree with the HAL Fast Facts or each other... can't even go with two out of three ain't bad! Hence the confusion.