First Cruise,,Need Advice Big time

mrtool2u

Doing our first cruise ever mid June,,Alaska south 7 days on norwegian sun. Looking for any do's and dont's. It is our best friends 35th anniv,,we are all in 50s to lo 60s but very active. My friend went with the dining package,,which I believe we can eat at one of the specialty restaurants on 4 nights. We do not have the drink package,I cannot drink 50 dollars worth of beer in one day so not really worth it to me. Should we make reservations ahead of time,are they necessary. Any pointers MUCH appreciated,thanks in advance.

While making reservations for specialty restaurants on a cruise is not always necessary it is usually recommended if there is a certain time or day that you prefer. If you decide to wait maybe you could go the day you board the ship and secure your reservations. Have a wonderful cruise. [emoji41]

Doing our first cruise ever mid June,,Alaska south 7 days on norwegian sun. Looking for any do's and dont's. It is our best friends 35th anniv,,we are all in 50s to lo 60s but very active. My friend went with the dining package,,which I believe we can eat at one of the specialty restaurants on 4 nights. We do not have the drink package,I cannot drink 50 dollars worth of beer in one day so not really worth it to me. Should we make reservations ahead of time,are they necessary. Any pointers MUCH appreciated,thanks in advance.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to cruising!

Typically the dining package is 3 nights on a 7-night cruise, so be sure to double check the T&C. You can make reservations at 90 days before sailing (if in a suite, you can do it 90 days before you sail). Reservations are a good idea unless you like to eat early or late.

If you'd chosen the UBP (drinks package) as your perk, all you would pay is the service charge/gratuity, which means your drinks would cost you just under $100 for the entire cruise. It looks like you've go some misinformation if you're thinking to make it worth it you'd have to drink $50 worth in a day! So, if you drink just two or three drinks a day, then the beverage package is a good deal.

Be sure to visit the Alaska Port of Call forum to find out a ton of information about your ports! And, if you have NCL-specific questions, the best place to ask them is on the NCL forum.

Have a wonderful cruise!

There really are no universal "must do's or don'ts"!

Research your ports...you will get more out of your time ashore if you know something about where you're going.

Remember, this is a vacation, not a marathon, so don't feel you must plan every minute! Do the things that YOU like...don't worry about what others are doing!

As far as those drink prices....they are higher on a ship than you're probably used to at home...you can wait until you board, and see what the prices are like, and how much you're drinking...then decide. Most lines will let you buy the drink package as long as there are several days left in the cruise.

For more feedback, you might want to post this on the NCL board, which will have more "eyes" that are familiar with NCL policies, and also with the Sun in general.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107

Enjoy!

We'll be heading north on the Sun next week :)

In general, just have fun. However, I do recommend the following:

1) don't fly in day of. It could be stressful due to potential delays, weather, etc. Plus if you wake up in the embarkation city, you will be much better rested for your first day on the ship.

2) Make dinner reservations on line in advance. Then on the ship you can always change them. Sometimes on NCL there is a long wait for your desired time, so at least you will have a reservation. Other days you can walk into any dining room any time without waiting. No predicting.

Our Alaskan cruise last year (RCI) was great, but what I remember most has little to do with the ship, other than booking a nice balcony that adjoined our SIL/BIL's. Really enjoyed time out there as we cruised along watching the sights with friends.

We also did not get a drink package on that cruise. Paid as we went, but did get free drinks in the DL and at Mystery Dinner Theater one night. We would considered one if we didn't have those... Don't forget the non alcoholic drinks that may be included. My wife really likes the specialty coffee and bottled water that has been included on her RCI packages, and those can easily push her into the black on pricing.

What I do remember most was the time off the ship on excursions. On a Caribbean cruise I can go cheap on port days and have a great time. Been there - done that. I don't recommend that in Alaska. My SIL did a great job planning and booking private excursions for our group of 10. Whale watching, Helicopter glacier tours, city tours, small motor coach tour paralleling train route into Canada with stops we set, including dog sled park, wine tasting tour, etc. None of our tours were available through the ship, and from what we heard, we had a much better experience, and it was tailored to our wants. Even visited a brewery on our Seattle wine tasting tour, (a concession to me) which the guide had never been asked to do before.

My 2 cents...

My wife really likes the specialty coffee and bottled water that has been included on her RCI packages, and those can easily push her into the black on pricing.

Neither of these is included in the NCL beverage package. :( If specialty coffee were included, I'd love it!

As info, on NCL it is best to book your specialty dining reservations in advance via the website for these restaurants:

Teppanyaki (it's very small on this ship and sells out)

Cagney's (very popular)

Le Bistro (the best food on the ship and the prettiest restaurant - worth doing twice!)

As to the rest of the specialty restaurants, they generally have availability.