What to do between cruises Fort Lauderdale

flossiem

We are cruising from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale April 2017 arriving May 2nd, we are then booked on Harmony of the Seas May 6th Western Caribbean. We are from New Zealand so don't know the area well but looking forward to seeing as many local sights as we can. Should we stay four nights in Fort Lauderdale or head to Miami for a couple of days? What are the must do and see attractions in those areas? Is there a good public transport system? Not keen to drive due to being used to driving on the opposite side of the road in NZ. Any suggestions welcome.

We enjoyed the water taxis in Fort Lauderdale and Las Olas Boulevard which has nice outdoor eateries, wine bars, and lounges. Even though they tell you the water taxi is not a tour, the pretty much give you a tour of some of nicest waterfront homes in Fort Lauderdale.

Check out Trip Advisor. But from living slightly NW of Ft Lauderdale and having worked there for many years, I can tell you that South Florida's mass transit leaves much to be desired, hence the traffic. The beaches are nice, you should take a water tour on the river off of Las Olas waterfront, great outlet shopping at Sawgrass Mills, Ft Lauderdale Musuem, Museum of Science and Discovery, check out what will be at the Broward Center for performing arts, rent a car and go down to Miami more museums, performing arts etc. Much depends on what you like to do. But you're coming at a great time of year, snowbirds will have left and rainy season won't have officially begun. ENJOY

We enjoyed the water taxis in Fort Lauderdale and Las Olas Boulevard which has nice outdoor eateries, wine bars, and lounges. Even though they tell you the water taxi is not a tour, the pretty much give you a tour of some of nicest waterfront homes in Fort Lauderdale.

We did the water taxi last September. Was a great way to spend a few hours. Some very impressive homes and boats

Sort of depends on what you like. If you are a "beach person," then I would definitely find a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale on the beach. But one suggestion... do an airboat tour of the Everglades. You can find them on line. You can likely find tours that will pick you up at your hotel and will tour the Everglades and include an airboat ride. Really fun.

I, personally, would not stay in Miami. I like Ft. Lauderdale much more. But if you can get down to Miami for a few hours, go to South Beach. Great bars and restaurants. Also find a Cuban Restaurant. Cuban food is great and Miami has the best.

There is a resort on Ft. Lauderdale Beach, the Lago Mar. We spent a few days there, wonderful place. Really enjoyed it. But we did have a car. One thing that is fun is to walk down the beach to the jetty and watch the cruise ships leave. They leave around 5 pm and it's a beautiful walk.

I would stay in Ft Lauderdale, not Miami. I recommend staying right on the beach. You can do a beach day if you like. There's also tons of restaurants right on the beach, as well as on Las Olas Blvd (very neat area). As others mentioned, the water taxi is fun. There's also plenty of excursions that you could do (i.e. the Everglades). A day trip to Miami would also be nice. Hopefully someone can chime in on how to get there without driving.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Take a nice long walk down SE 17th street to the wine store. It's inside the Publix Supermarket strip mall. Could have lunch in Duffy's which is right in the same complex.

Edited by Zigggypup

I am always in that store. I visit my brother quite often and he lives 7 blocks away.......lol

We have trouble spending less than an hour in that store every time we go.

We have trouble spending less than an hour in that store every time we go.

I hear you, lot's to look at in that store. I am going down in 3 weeks to house and dog sit. Needless to say I will be roaming the isles of Total Wine.

I second the airboat tour of the Everglades. Have done it twice and thoroughly enjoyed them both.

Joyce

Hi! Do you recommend a tour company in specific for that activity?

I have read that there are many.

Thanks!

Thanks so much for the suggestions, definitely keen on beaches, the everglades tour, water taxis and of course the wine shop! Hope four days will be enough now!! Hope to find some good shopping as well.

Understanding what foreign exchange can do to your buying power, I would recommend sunny.org as a resource for less pricey, totally acceptable, close to beach and water taxi etc etc motels. Trip advisor gives lotsa of activities and do check out groupon deals for ft lauderdale. Just got back from 3 weeks in NZ... Two week cruise from Syd to auk, then 10 days on our own on north island. Beautiful place and delightful people.

Indeed Muffin, us Kiwis definitely lose out with the exchange rate when coming to visit your country, but we think it is worth it. Much better for you to come visit us! We are currently booked into Fortuna hotel, the reviews seem good and it seems close to beach. So pleased you enjoyed your visit to our lovely country, next time be sure to visit the South Island, it has much more beautiful scenery then the North Island.

Glad you are all settled.....often just making the decision is the hard part. We did see some of the wonderful highlights of the South Island which we enjoyed very much. Got away on some alternative excursions too which took us well out and about. Did a cruise day through 'Melford sound and hit 5 ports in the south. As we live on Vancouver island mountainous beauty and seascapes are all around us too, so we chose to see the pastoral and historical which was stupendous....for us!

The weather co-operated totallytoo. All in all, we will return!

I can recommend Everglades Eco Safari for a full day trip to the Everglades including an air boat ride. We used them in 2015 and enjoyed a full day of touring various ecosystems within the Everglades. The picked us up and dropped us off at our hotel as well. We felt that it was time and money well spent.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app