Here goes my quick and dad pavlova recipe

2 egg whites

1 and half cups castor sugar

1 teaspoon cornflour

1 teaspoon white vinegar

Half teaspoon vanilla essence

4 tablespoons hot water

Put all in a bowl mix with electric mixer for 10 minutes

Grease an ovenproof dish with butter or margarine.

Pour out onto dish and hollow out the middle which builds up the side.

Place on 2nd bottom shelf 130 celcius about 1 and quarter hours.

Will be firm on top and soft inside. Turn off oven open oven door leave to cool.

Cover with whipped cream and fruit. Our favourite is sliced banana passionfruit and kiwifruit. Strawberries are yum but granddaughter is allergic.

We have pav for each special occasion so with 6 birthdays mothers and fathers day Easter Christmas and new year plus Australia day that's more than enough pavlova though we would eat it every day if we could.

Don't worry about any cracks as it's all covered with cream.

This recipe is right size fir our family of 6 and is from the nursing mothers cookbook of late 70s era.

I made it for friends in USA and I think we had to buy confectioners sugar to replace the castor sugar. My mum used to put white sugar in a blender to make castor sugar and that worked fine.

Enjoy

One could forgive Aussies a lot of things like claiming to invent Pavlova, claiming Phar Lap as Australian, even here on CC to have the best lamb in the world. We are prepared to forgive all these claims if only you will claim and give citizenship to Russell Crowe. By the way great weekend just passed for Aussie rugby supporters.

No way, he is yours.:mad:

Didn't it used to be called the saloon,or did the ladies lounge become the saloon,which then became the pokie area,which then incorporated the beer garden,to which the tab was added,and then the sportsmans bar.And then remodelled to include the keno and dining room which then became a bistro,with restaurant prices :eek:

Seems like the above is why I don't drink at the pub anymore - can't figure out where the bar is.

Here goes my quick and dad pavlova recipe

2 egg whites

1 and half cups castor sugar

1 teaspoon cornflour

1 teaspoon white vinegar

Half teaspoon vanilla essence

4 tablespoons hot water

Put all in a bowl mix with electric mixer for 10 minutes

Grease an ovenproof dish with butter or margarine.

Pour out onto dish and hollow out the middle which builds up the side.

Place on 2nd bottom shelf 130 celcius about 1 and quarter hours.

Will be firm on top and soft inside. Turn off oven open oven door leave to cool.

Cover with whipped cream and fruit. Our favourite is sliced banana passionfruit and kiwifruit. Strawberries are yum but granddaughter is allergic.

We have pav for each special occasion so with 6 birthdays mothers and fathers day Easter Christmas and new year plus Australia day that's more than enough pavlova though we would eat it every day if we could.

Don't worry about any cracks as it's all covered with cream.

This recipe is right size fir our family of 6 and is from the nursing mothers cookbook of late 70s era.

I made it for friends in USA and I think we had to buy confectioners sugar to replace the castor sugar. My mum used to put white sugar in a blender to make castor sugar and that worked fine.

Enjoy

Thank you Tara Jane - you really are a peach

Despite the first post on this thread warning about the Redback spider, not all spiders found in Australia are dangerous to overseas visitors and locals alike.

Indeed the Peacock spiders are just adorable - their body markings incredible, and of course the male is at his most colourful best when trying to attract his mate.

Have a look at the attached photo but please do not take one back home should you fall in love with one on your travels - take a photo for the folks at home.

image.jpg.5624024dbdd5448b519f3fb68e40549c.jpg

Despite the first post on this thread warning about the Redback spider, not all spiders found in Australia are dangerous to overseas visitors and locals alike.

Indeed the Peacock spiders are just adorable - their body markings incredible, and of course the male is at his most colourful best when trying to attract his mate.

Have a look at the attached photo but please do not take one back home should you fall in love with one on your travels - take a photo for the folks at home.

These guys are in my neighbourhood, first discovered in the Namadgi National Park in the A.C.T. Now there are many species discovered, each very colourful.:D

This thread needs an award for the funniest ever on Cruise Critic :D:D

This overseas visitor is looking forward to the advice for Cairns and Airlie Beach!

Pretty typical for threads on the Aussie NZ cruisers sub forum.

Please feel free to ask anything you like you will get some great advice, and probably a bit of fun thrown in, with very little of the nastiness you see on other threads. But I must warn you some visitors think they see nastiness that locals know is a bit of leg pulling.

Cairns and Airlie Beach aren't areas I know a lot about.

Probably best to start a new thread with your questions, once there answered though the thread will either die a natural death or turn in to something like this one.

His mate is even more colourful. If and when "marriage equality" comes about in Aussie one of the spiders will turn a funny shade of white and after the mating has taken place the bright colours will resume and it will be off to the Mardi Gras. Mardi Gras in Australia is an event where peacocks flaunt their stuff and put on a display unlike anywhere else in the insect kingdom.

Think I saw his son this morning.:eek::cool:

Don't forget the Kiwifruit - You aren't going to leave us out especially as we invented it

Its a bloody chinese gooseberry,originally from China.

Whoa back son.

LOL,but whats crazy is the americans call it plain kiwi.:):eek:

The name was invented.

Edited by mrs and mrs
2 wines and 1 bundy spelling check

Its a bloody chinese gooseberry,originally from China.

Whoa back son.

LOL,but whats crazy is the americans call it plain kiwi.:):eek:

The name was invented.

Its because we are so sweet with a heart of gold

This thread needs an award for the funniest ever on Cruise Critic :D:D

This overseas visitor is looking forward to the advice for Cairns and Airlie Beach!

Airlie Beach been there lovely place one street with all shops and hotels motels resorts the like in and a few yachts moored some of which get hired out for cruises from here you can go to hamilton island south mole and linderman which i think is a club med now unless thats changed

[quote name=Bpos;50455367

On my last cruise I had three elderly ladies from the Cruise Critics Meet and Greet attend my 2 hour powerpoint presentation on the sexual habits of the Oohmedoodle bird (that rare' date=' famous, elusive, nocturnal and rarely seen bird found in the dense forests of South Western Australia).

The ladies too, were sick of the napkin folding lessons and were very enthusiastic about my presentation and about learning more of Australia's unique flora and fauna.

As this is a family orientated and reputable forum, and due to the graphic nature of the subject matter, I will not be discussing the topic of that bird again (if you want to know more you will have to join the Celebrity Solstice 31 Oct 2016 cruise.

.[/quote]

I regret to refer back to this post again but my long suffering wife happen to read it and has berated me for it's content - why she even called me a silly "old bugger" (Aussie slang for idiot).

It's not that she is interested in my research of "that bird", but the fact that the three ladies who attended the presentation followed me around the ship for days on end want to know more - jealousy do you think??

As well, she informs me she loves the paper napkin folding lessons - and even wanted to complain to the Captain on our last cruise when a gale threatened to blow the tissues overboard and the highlighted event cancelled.

I may have misjudged the popularity of napkin folding on cruise ships - anyone else feel the same way???

Edited by Bpos