The voice

gp1oseg

Has anyone been on a cruise yet with the voice singing contest.my last cruise 2 months ago they didn't have princess pop star saying it is discontinued. Going on the grand in july wondering what to expect

I got to be a contestant on Voice of the Ocean on Coral - it was an awesome experience for me to participate in the show; not sure how great it was for the poor souls in the audience who had to listen to me...

The try-out was just a regular karaoke set-up in Explorers, so I participated figuring there was no chance I would get voted in. However, only 7 people tried out and they selected 6 for the show. I suppose participation varies on each cruise, but if you are at all interested in the experience I strongly encourage you to give it a shot. I sing a lot of karaoke so although I don't have a great voice I can carry a tune and I'm comfortable performing in front of people. All six finalists were decent singers, with a few being really good.

Once you are selected you choose two songs from a list of about 150. I had a hard time finding two songs that I felt confident singing as I generally sing 70s and 80s rock, and that genre is definitely not well represented. You then get to rehearse with the band and you have mentors (two singers from the production shows, who also are your background singers when you perform). The mentors were really encouraging and gave everyone tips to improve their performance. They help you select the song that best suits you from your two choices, as everyone sings just one song in the show.

You next get to practice on stage in the Princess Theater, where they run through the basics of the show so that you know what to expect. This was really helpful in dissipating nerves before the actual performance. The set was awesome - spinning chairs and all; very slick and professional.

Of course, the experience is meant to be fun for the participants, so at least one coach turned around for each singer and they all had something nice to say. The coaches select the final three and the audience gets to vote for the winner using little handheld electronic thingies.

Overall, it was really cool to get to interact with the performers and the entertainment staff, and performing on the big stage with a live band and professional lighting was like a rock-and-roll fantasy come true. The show is really well put together and the live band and back-up singers enhanced everyone's performance to make all us amateurs sound as good as possible. My friends and family in the audience said they enjoyed the show more than they expected to.

I will say that this particular cruise had very few karaoke sessions, and singing karaoke is a highlight of any cruise for me, so if I hadn't been in the Voice I would have been disappointed in the lack of singing opportunities.

Enjoy your cruise!

Not really our form of entertainment, but on The Emerald a month ago there were great lines of folks waiting to go into the theatre, to watch it, so it must be a hit with lots of passengers. I do think that Princess is trying to improve their product, both for the younger set and those of us who are bodily aged yet young of heart. So that's a well done.

We've seen it a number of times and after the last two performances we won't be going back for another. The first one was great with all the performers that were excellent but the next two were pure torture. :(

It wouldn't surprise me to see it gone very soon.

Only partially karaoke, and not like Pop Star. They have a selection contest to karaoke backing tracks where passengers select the final performers. In our case there were eight. These performers select a shortened song from a list of about 40. These are the songs the Princess orchestra has charts for. Then there are three rehearsals with the live orchestra and backup singers, the final one being on stage. In the end the audience selects the winner, but the experience, win or not win is a good one.

I was in it and it is an experience most never get, performing with professional musicians. Yes, some singers are good, some not so good, but the show itself is interesting.

I participated twice this past January on the Regal (I was on a B2B) and had a blast.

It was fun interacting with the performers/musicians and performing with a live band instead of a Karaoke track.

I didn't make the final three either week, and definitely performed better the first week (I did not have enough gin before my second performance ;))

But it was a blast, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Deb

Has anyone been on a cruise yet with the voice singing contest.my last cruise 2 months ago they didn't have princess pop star saying it is discontinued. Going on the grand in july wondering what to expect

I would not mind if this gets cancelled. We normally get a mini suite on the Emerald deck. It was impossible to take a nap with all the live rehearsals they had during the day.

The show is really fun but unfortunately for the original poster it is not on the Grand Princess and won't be on the ship until the end of this year at the earliest after the Grand Princess has its next dry dock.

We saw it on the Regal and was much better then we expected.