Upsell Offer - Gone in 15 minutes?

straychicken

We are booked on the Zaandam leaving June 19 northbound to Seward, AK. I received an upsell offer from an inside cabin to an oceanview yesterday by email and called within 15 minutes. I was told it was sold out.

I was surprised to receive the offer in the first place as we booked one of the last two remaining quad cabins on the ship a couple of weeks ago. The remaining 4 person cabin is in the same category that we are in.

Is it likely that they send the offer to all cabins in the categories they were targeting and didn't check if quad occupancy was available? Or maybe a quad opened up and it was sold almost immediately?

They said they put us on a list for future offers and we might receive a call. We booked directly through HAL.

BTW - I don't think the offer was the best anyway. $99 per person to upgrade to obstructed ocean view or $199 to upgrade to oceanview. When I booked the price difference between my inside category (K) and obstructed oceanview was only $39 person (but there were no quads available in ocean view).

We are booked on the Zaandam leaving June 19 northbound to Seward, AK. I received an upsell offer from an inside cabin to an oceanview yesterday by email and called within 15 minutes. I was told it was sold out.

I was surprised to receive the offer in the first place as we booked one of the last two remaining quad cabins on the ship a couple of weeks ago. The remaining 4 person cabin is in the same category that we are in.

Is it likely that they send the offer to all cabins in the categories they were targeting and didn't check if quad occupancy was available? Or maybe a quad opened up and it was sold almost immediately?

They said they put us on a list for future offers and we might receive a call. We booked directly through HAL.

BTW - I don't think the offer was the best anyway. $99 per person to upgrade to obstructed ocean view or $199 to upgrade to oceanview. When I booked the price difference between my inside category (K) and obstructed oceanview was only $39 person (but there were no quads available in ocean view).

You may have called within 15 minutes, but someone else may have received the email hours earlier. There have been a bunch of internet provider issues over the last 10 days.

I let our PCC know what we are willing to pay for an up-sell and give her the OK in advance to grab it it it is close to our price. We always book NS so really the only up-sell would be to PS. Usually they want way too much for the up-sell to be worth it for us. We love our deck 5 aft wraps so have no interest of moving up from SB to SA.

I let our PCC know what we are willing to pay for an up-sell and give her the OK in advance to grab it it it is close to our price. We always book NS so really the only up-sell would be to PS. Usually they want way too much for the up-sell to be worth it for us. We love our deck 5 aft wraps so have no interest of moving up from SB to SA.

Agree with you on the deck 5 aft-wraps. Funny thing is that both times we were able to book them we were offered upsells to the Pinnacle Suite for about $1000 pp for a 10 day cruise. Since we were traveling alone AND we were in an aft-wrap, we turned the offer down.

Edited by DaveOKC

Upsell offers do quickly.

But not all of us can stay on the computer all day waiting for e-mails.

My emails go to my cell phone also and I get a small "ding" - would that work for you?

Edited by DaveOKC

I tell my TA the same thing. If the offer is more than what I OKd, she gives me a call. :)

And some of us live where there is no cell signal, at all! m--

Obviously, everyone has different issues with email access, so they need to act accordingly. As CC posters all we can do is say what/how/why we do things and the readers can take from that what works for them.

I got several upsell offers on our South America cruise. I had a $250 pp limit and when I got that offer I was in line to pay at a clothing store and I handed my credit card to my friend to pay and I IMMEDIATELY called HAL to accept an upsell from an outside to a veranda. So glad I did.