Koningsdam or Solstice Class?

MissyF3486

Hi all --

I realize I am posting this on the Celebrity board, so opinions may be a bit biased, but hoping some of you may be able to provide some insight!

We are planning on a late summer 2017 cruise for an extended family group (ages 1 year to 60 years). We are looking to do a Med itinerary, and there are itineraries on both the Koningsdam and Equinox/Reflection/Silhouette that would fit the bill.

I am leaning towards the Koningsdam because it is brand new and also because it has an overnight in Istanbul, which was our family's first choice destination. None of the Celebrity ships go to Istanbul, though some itineraries include Kusadasi.

We have been on the Eurodam and found the food to be EXCELLENT (the foodies in the family would go back on HAL just for Tamarind and Pinnacle Grill...) but none of us have been on a Celebrity Solstice class. We've heard great things about Solstice Class ships so it is making the decision VERY difficult.

Any opinions that would help sway our decision???

Thanks so much!

Go for the itinerary you want. If you were doing a TA or perhaps a cruise where you're hitting familiar ports, the ship choice might be more important, but if Istanbul is what you want to do, pick the ship that stops there.

We love the S class ships, have no experience with HAL but if it was me choosing and the political situation was more settled in that part of the world I would choose the overnight in Istanbul. We did it a few years ago, on the Equinox and it was the highlight of our trip.

I would love to try the Koningsdam as she's a beautiful ship and the itineraries are outstanding. However, until HAL changes their smoking policy it's a no-go for us. I wish they would get with the times re smoking, as they have some fabulous itineraries.

We are not smokers, but I have no recollection of noticing or minding the smoke while we were on the Eurodam. We've also been on NCL Getaway, which many people complain smells of smoke, and we didn't notice it then either. Maybe we just aren't very sensitive to it!!

Price wise, Koningsdam is a bit more, but we were hoping the prices would come down some -- do you think this is a realistic possibility?

Are there any specific features that Solstice class has that Koningsdam doesn't, or vice versa? Specifically pools, common spaces, etc?

Thanks again for all responses!!!:)

Are there any specific features that Solstice class has that Koningsdam doesn't, or vice versa? Specifically pools, common spaces, etc?

Do you know what type of room you're budgeting for? Because if you're going for a suite, Luminae might be a big reason to consider an S-class.

We are not smokers, but I have no recollection of noticing or minding the smoke while we were on the Eurodam. We've also been on NCL Getaway, which many people complain smells of smoke, and we didn't notice it then either. Maybe we just aren't very sensitive to it!!

Price wise, Koningsdam is a bit more, but we were hoping the prices would come down some -- do you think this is a realistic possibility?

2013 was before the became ashtray if the seas. Now smokers flock to HAL as other lines have banned it.

As for what S class has, it would depend on what category you're booking and as for cost, most X cruises include one perk so you could be getting a drink package

If you are planning on sailing in a suite, Celebrity is the better choice with the Luminae dining room. If you thought the food on HAL was good, you will be blown away by the food in Luminae. We were 20+ year HAL customers (Neptune Suites) who switched to Celebrity 2 years ago because of HAL's allowing verandah smoking. After being unable to use our HAL verandah because of heavy smokers around us, we decided to give Celebrity a try. We were not disappointed. We found the food in Celebrity's Cafe (cafeteria), Main dining room and specialty restaurants to be comparable to HAL. For suite guests there is no comparison - Celebrity had a better product.

HAL is the ONLY line that still allows smoking on it's balconies, so if you are looking at a balcony, you might have one on each side of you, or under you.

Allows is a key word. I Remember the smell of smoke in the hallways on the Equinox. People who smoke just pay the cleaning fee, no biggie.

It is irritating to have a suite or Balcóny and have someone illegally smoking next door. Especially when you get back from dinner and your cabin smells of smoke.

Anyhow never a guarantee to be smoke free when it's not allowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Koningsdam's interior was designed by the same person that designed the S-class ships of Celebrity. We're giving Koningsdam a try next year. Been on all the S-class ships and we love them. But service issues, loud music, understaffing in the past two years on Celebrity has us giving another ship a try. We've sailed HAL four or five times in the past several years and enjoyed all the cruises.

Europe cruises are very port intensive and we seldom spent anytime in our cabin when we sailed Europe. I'd pick the ship that has more of the ports you like to visit. If they are they same, I'd go on price.

We cruise both lines (just returned from 55 days on the Prinsendam and will be on the Zuiderdam next month) but, most things being equal we would choose an S-Class ship over HAL...in a heartbeat :). DW and I enjoy socializing after 9:30PM....and on the S-Class ships there will likely be quite a few folks awake :). And whenever we book a balcony cabin on HAL, we feel like we are truly rolling the dice as to whether we will get full use out of our balcony...due to nearby balcony smoking! I should add that we snagged an amazing deal on the Zuiderdam (next month) when compared to other cruise lines. Since that ship is going to the Baltic and Iceland (both very popular places) we are kind of surprised that HAL is having last minute fire sales (perhaps smoking sales). One might wonder why is HAL being forced to heavily discount...and other lines are not! We have friends on a Princess cruise going to some of the same ports (at the same time) and the cost per passenger day on Princess is about double the cost on HAL. Go figure.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

• 2 weeks later...

I read an extensive review of Koningsdam and the cruiser said it was definitely an over 70 boat and extremely boring. Looks beautiful but I am reading that Celebrity is more fun.

Hope that's true! I am worried about my 16 and 14 year olds enjoying Alaska and the teen club.

My 71 year old mom likes the buffet and balcony. My husband and brothers will be fine with premium drink packages promising craft beers 24x7.

HAL is the ONLY line that still allows smoking on it's balconies, so if you are looking at a balcony, you might have one on each side of you, or under you.

Actually, Seabourn -- a sister company to HAL-- also allows smoking on balconies. Really, really aweful...

I just attended a webinar yesterday on the Konigsdam. Until then, I wasn't interested. After seeing the cabins decorated in beautiful, monochromatic, subdued tones, the ship's amenities and the spaces, I'm a believer. I'd go with it simply because there are 200 less passengers and it's geared more toward extended families than the Solstice Class.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario