Get a little obsessive, and BA award flights can be yours......

pcur

BA loads it's award flights 355 days out, so I started planning for late March of next year in March of this year. It would have been sooner if I needed more points.

Dear Son #1 gave me 61,000 points. I used his BA account to make all the reservations.

We had 87,000 Sapphire points, and I got myself a new Chase Sapphire card and added another 57,000 to the pot. Added DS to both Chase Sapphire accounts so I could transfer points to his BA account.

So, after "ghost booking" for about a month to get an idea of how many points were required, I started with our outbound from CA. Got 2 Premium Economy seats when they were first available (like midnight CA time), and used up all of DS's points.

Waited another several weeks, nervously watching the flights coming back, because I had to wait for my 57k to be credited. I figured if I missed the 2 business class seats there would be more....WRONG!! I nabbed those as soon as the points were available to transfer. They haven't made any more business seats available for our flight....nada....zip.

Then, I did the "filler" flights. We had a short hop into LHR coming back, because I wasn't going to waste business seat points on a 2 hour flight. That actually was cheaper to pay BA in cash than use points.

Finally, I started watching another inter-Europe short hop, thinking it would be months before the price went down from 124Euros each to my benchmark fare of 63Euros from this April....WRONG!

It went down by 55% from one day to the next, so I grabbed those seats, too.

Call me crazy, but it's all done, saved a bundle of $$, and got the seats we wanted. Premium Economy and Business for the long hauls cost $1,030 each before seat fees. Short hops another $163 each.

It pays to be a little obsessive sometimes.

On that Sapphire Card-- had you had one before. I am just about 2 years out and want to apply again for the United and the Sapphire card but holding for 50K bonus -- only showing 30K bonus now. Let me know if you see a 50 K

If you don't mind me asking--what are the fees on your transatlantic flights? These fees have kept me from spending my Avios on trips to Europe.

Op says they paid $1030 each, which doesn't include the charges for advance seat selection, plus $163 for the flight they purchased.

Not to play down the OP's plans, but just a quick check of options for late March 2017 revealed this -

Round trip from SFO or LAX to Frankfurt or Zurich, business class on Delta and/or KLM, $1590 - $1650 depending on days.

Round trip from Vancouver BC to Frankfurt, also business class both ways on Delta/KLM/Air France, US$1281 most days.

Don't know where the cruise is departing/arriving, but for example a round trip (economy) from FRA to Barcelona in late March is around US$117.

It would cost 7500 Avios to fly from LAX to Vancouver each way, or 7500 to fly from Sacramento to Seattle, followed by a $40 train or bus ride to Vancouver. BA wouldn't charge any fuel fines on the Alaska Airlines or American Airlines segments used.

Point being, do the math. My own view is not to redeem FF miles until the value (i.e. cheapest fare divided by the number of miles/Avios) is over 2.5c per mile. In other words, using miles for a flight costing $1000 in cash would only be justified if it required fewer than 40,000 miles. Others have different standards, but most frequent flyers value their miles at 1.5c or more.

Using the OP's numbers and the ones I found (above) for SFO-FRA and FRA-BCN round trips, the net value of the OP's Avios is approximately 1/3 cent per Avios redeemed. And note that's for one of the longhaul flights to be in premium economy, while the business class flights are all on flat beds.

On that Sapphire Card-- had you had one before. I am just about 2 years out and want to apply again for the United and the Sapphire card but holding for 50K bonus -- only showing 30K bonus now. Let me know if you see a 50 K

You're good to go, because they won't let you re-apply within 24 months. I had one, cancelled it two years ago while we kept DH's card, and I got another one in March. I paid off the cruise for next year early to get me to the qualifying spend amount faster.

Here's the 50k points offer:

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/sapphire-preferred-card.aspx?iCELL=63KJ&C73P=Y71UH0&list=4,2,1

If you don't mind me asking--what are the fees on your transatlantic flights? These fees have kept me from spending my Avios on trips to Europe.

The Premium Economy cost $418 each, plus $70 for the seat fee. The Business class cost $514 each, plus $140 for the seat.

I priced the total roundtrip air for us, same flights on BA, and it was over $14,000 each. I was stunned. So, if you have the points, and don't want to fly economy, then it's really a cost savings.

The LAX-LHR-BCN was the lowest points: 31,200 each. My son's gifted points took care of our entire flight out from CA for both of us.

Op says they paid $1030 each, which doesn't include the charges for advance seat selection, plus $163 for the flight they purchased.

Yes, I did mention before seat fees for the $1,030 total. The total includes all our BA flights. Seat fees are optional, so I didn't include them.

$418 + 514 + 98 = $1,030

The extra cash flight I consider the cost of moving around Europe. It could have been a train fare, or a car rental.

Not to play down the OP's plans, but just a quick check of options for late March 2017 revealed this -

Round trip from SFO or LAX to Frankfurt or Zurich, business class on Delta and/or KLM, $1590 - $1650 depending on days.

Round trip from Vancouver BC to Frankfurt, also business class both ways on Delta/KLM/Air France, US$1281 most days.

Don't know where the cruise is departing/arriving, but for example a round trip (economy) from FRA to Barcelona in late March is around US$117.

It would cost 7500 Avios to fly from LAX to Vancouver each way, or 7500 to fly from Sacramento to Seattle, followed by a $40 train or bus ride to Vancouver. BA wouldn't charge any fuel fines on the Alaska Airlines or American Airlines segments used.

Point being, do the math. My own view is not to redeem FF miles until the value (i.e. cheapest fare divided by the number of miles/Avios) is over 2.5c per mile. In other words, using miles for a flight costing $1000 in cash would only be justified if it required fewer than 40,000 miles. Others have different standards, but most frequent flyers value their miles at 1.5c or more.

Using the OP's numbers and the ones I found (above) for SFO-FRA and FRA-BCN round trips, the net value of the OP's Avios is approximately 1/3 cent per Avios redeemed. And note that's for one of the longhaul flights to be in premium economy, while the business class flights are all on flat beds.

Thanks for your suggestions. I should clarify a few things.

We have specific days we are flying; no option for picking the cheapest days. We are also flying out on a Thursday, and home the day before Easter. Plus, we had to get into LAX in time for my friend to take Southwest up to the Bay Area to get home that night, using points + $6.

So, we were pretty boxed in with dates and connections.

I have checked the BA awards flights since booking to see if we could do better, since the cancellation fee is only $55 per person per flight. The points have gone up since I booked, and the flights we need no longer have those PE or Bus seats available.

I'm not saying I got the best deal out there; I'm saying with our restrictions we did great, plus are flying with some comfort.

There's a lot more than saving money involved with this: it's the timing of flights, too.

I'm just hoping my "journey" booking BA awards flights can help someone else.

Good Job! I too watched award seats like a hawk but know that sometimes depending on the airline such as AA they do not let go of all the seats at that 330 day mark but about 10 days after.

I too was able to pool my son's airmiles and we have our business/first class seats headed down to Santiago, Chile with AA miles and returning business on United miles.

remember that in order to get the Chase Sapphire Prefereed again or even the United Explorer your 24 mos count is from the date you received the first bonus not application date.

Good Job! I too watched award seats like a hawk but know that sometimes depending on the airline such as AA they do not let go of all the seats at that 330 day mark but about 10 days after.

I too was able to pool my son's airmiles and we have our business/first class seats headed down to Santiago, Chile with AA miles and returning business on United miles.

remember that in order to get the Chase Sapphire Prefereed again or even the United Explorer your 24 mos count is from the date you received the first bonus not application date.

I found out the hard way about the 24 months. They will kill your application immediately if it's before 24 months.

Seems there's a plethora of generous sons around these days!! :D

Thanks for your suggestions. I should clarify a few things.

We have specific days we are flying; no option for picking the cheapest days. We are also flying out on a Thursday, and home the day before Easter. Plus, we had to get into LAX in time for my friend to take Southwest up to the Bay Area to get home that night, using points + $6.

So, we were pretty boxed in with dates and connections.

I have checked the BA awards flights since booking to see if we could do better, since the cancellation fee is only $55 per person per flight. The points have gone up since I booked, and the flights we need no longer have those PE or Bus seats available.

I'm not saying I got the best deal out there; I'm saying with our restrictions we did great, plus are flying with some comfort.

There's a lot more than saving money involved with this: it's the timing of flights, too.

I'm just hoping my "journey" booking BA awards flights can help someone else.

I think you did great too. So often (as your flights illustrate) lots more to consider than just the price tag. Sometimes for us it is sneaking in a layover to break up the trip or a stopover for a little pre cruise land exploration (saw Taiwan and Java on the way to Bali for free!). I disagree that it is only a good deal if you get a certain amount for your miles. If I need the ticket to ride and have the miles (and they are not reserved for a trip in the near future)then I take the ticket. Better than out of pocket. I spend up fairly often -- I have lost many a point when they re-evaluated the points or changed the rules for redemption or I just could not find a award availability to suit a particular need.

And think out of the box. My daughter found cheaper tickets to Sweden for a neurochemistry (job) conference on SAS so she took her flight money given by the conference to buy a cruise (had to be US airline) through United Vacations/credit card and bought the SAS tickets out of personal funds. She and her family of four (1, 7 year old and 2 parents) are on a very cheap vacation by using miles strategically and using credit card points well for what she wanted. I am sure the baby is having a good time in St. Petersburg Russia today!

Edited by Bowie MeMe

I think you did great too. So often (as your flights illustrate) lots more to consider than just the price tag. Sometimes for us it is sneaking in a layover to break up the trip or a stopover for a little pre cruise land exploration (saw Taiwan and Java on the way to Bali for free!). I disagree that it is only a good deal if you get a certain amount for your miles. If I need the ticket to ride and have the miles (and they are not reserved for a trip in the near future)then I take the ticket. Better than out of pocket. I spend up fairly often -- I have lost many a point when they re-evaluated the points or changed the rules for redemption or I just could not find a award availability to suit a particular need.

And think out of the box. My daughter found cheaper tickets to Sweden for a neurochemistry (job) conference on SAS so she took her flight money given by the conference to buy a cruise (had to be US airline) through United Vacations/credit card and bought the SAS tickets out of personal funds. She and her family of four (1, 7 year old and 2 parents) are on a very cheap vacation by using miles strategically and using credit card points well for what she wanted. I am sure the baby is having a good time in St. Petersburg Russia today!

What is SAS?

I also agree if I am spending up to $3k on a cruise including excursions ( which by the way you can also book via United Ultimate Rewards) and I can shave off $400 on a flight using my miles.. you betcha I am using them since I only fly once or twice a year I make sure to shave off as much as I can from my expenses.

I also use points for hotel stays pre and post cruise even though they may be less than $200 a night that adds up with pre & post cruise stays.

I don't think that anyone is saying "don't use your points". What is being said is "do you evaluate what kind of return you are getting from your points?"

As an example, Delta Airlines want you to use your points for "cash and points" because they only give you a value of a penny per point. Since you can easily get 2% cashback on various credit cards, why would you choose to halve your return by only getting a penny? They want you to "shave expenses" because it is better for them.

Try this thought experiment. You are in Toronto. The price for an item on a menu is 20 dollars Canadian. Would you think it good value to pay twenty dollars USA? When the actual exchange rate is $15.50? You're not getting your value.

Points are an alternative currency. Are you getting what you feel is a fair exchange rate?

I don't think that anyone is saying "don't use your points". What is being said is "do you evaluate what kind of return you are getting from your points?"

As an example, Delta Airlines want you to use your points for "cash and points" because they only give you a value of a penny per point. Since you can easily get 2% cashback on various credit cards, why would you choose to halve your return by only getting a penny? They want you to "shave expenses" because it is better for them.

Try this thought experiment. You are in Toronto. The price for an item on a menu is 20 dollars Canadian. Would you think it good value to pay twenty dollars USA? When the actual exchange rate is $15.50? You're not getting your value.

Points are an alternative currency. Are you getting what you feel is a fair exchange rate?

Using your analogy, I think I got a great return. As previous stated, it's not always about the $$ and cents.

For instance: the BA points my son donated to us were absolutely worthless to him. He had no plans to fly to London, since he was there last year. I researched for him and found that he didn't have enough to use them on partner airlines for flights he might want. So, those points alone got us PE nonstop LAX-LHR, then economy to BCN. I only added 1,000 Sapphire points to it.

Being boxed in with dates and connections, and wanting nonstop Busines seats coming home the day before Easter, it wasn't about the exchange rate but the convenience.

And, to be redundant, the same seats/same flights on BA were ridiculously expensive in cash. I am not a fan of economy flights in and out of Europe with stopovers in the airlines' home airport. Get me in, get me out, let me be comfortable, and do it fast.

It is a good feeling when it all comes together.

We've just got back from a trip to South Africa, the tickets for which came from the BAEC equivalent of winning the lottery. About 4½ months ago, we were talking about doing a trip last weekend. I idly search for award availability out of habit rather than expectation given the time frame, but to my astonishment there was a pair of First seats to JNB on our ideal date outbound, and a pair of Club seats on a perfectly good date inbound. Booking them didn't take long - using a 2-4-1 voucher, too. The only disappointment was that no First seats ever appeared for the inbound journey, so we had to slum it in Club in that direction. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've just booked BA business class TATL flights with AA points for next May. Like you we had a specific date. To get the best value for our points we will be on separate flights an hr apart to get from ELP to DFW and then are together on the BA flights to LHR. Who knows by next May they may have changed the local flights and we will get on the same plane in ELP! Our taxes and fees were $480 pp. I have yet to book the BA seats as they are $125 each. As to getting back home -- not sure about that yet...

• 3 weeks later...
I've just booked BA business class TATL flights with AA points for next May. Like you we had a specific date. To get the best value for our points we will be on separate flights an hr apart to get from ELP to DFW and then are together on the BA flights to LHR. Who knows by next May they may have changed the local flights and we will get on the same plane in ELP! Our taxes and fees were $480 pp. I have yet to book the BA seats as they are $125 each. As to getting back home -- not sure about that yet...

Check out getting s BA or Chase Sapphire card for both of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was finally able to use my Avios that we're going to expire for a TA cruise next year! I have done the happy dance for days! You have to catch them as soon as they are posted! Be obsessed and you can use them!