Maasdam A/C problems - affected areas?

Infi

We are sailing on the Maasdam next month to Alaska and really looking forward to sailing her again. I have read posts here and there mentioning problems with the A/C not working right (or at all) in some of her cabins. For those who have experienced (or heard of) A/C problems while on their Maasdam cruises, what areas/decks were they found on? Just want to know in case I have to do a last minute cabin switch to protect ourselves. Thanks, all!

We are sailing on the Maasdam next month to Alaska and really looking forward to sailing her again. I have read posts here and there mentioning problems with the A/C not working right (or at all) in some of her cabins. For those who have experienced (or heard of) A/C problems while on their Maasdam cruises, what areas/decks were they found on? Just want to know in case I have to do a last minute cabin switch to protect ourselves. Thanks, all!

I sailed on Maasdam last June on the Canada/New England cruise and had some issues with my cabin AC. I was in room 834 on the A deck. I think it was on the second day when the AC went out. The front desk was very attentive in fixing the problem however I had to spend one night without AC. They provided a fan and I placed it in the window sill and it helped. By the next morning they had fixed the AC. The ship was sold out so they could not move us.

I don't recall any public space that had AC problems. Overall it was a comfortable ship that was easy to navigate.

Enjoy your cruise!!

Edited by nycruiser80

Thanks, all - appreciate the comments on your experiences. We are booked on Main deck in a cabin we have stayed in before on Maasdam, but the recent posts about A/C issues have me very nervous.

Just off the Maasdam on Monday. We were on the Main deck and had an A/C problem. We couldn't turn off the A/C - way too cold. The next day the thermostat unit was replaced and everything worked fine.

Have a wonderful cruise.

It's encouraging to hear that HAL actually corrected the problems with AC on this old ship when requested. We have been on the Maasdam 3 times and love the old girl despite the standing joke that the thermostats were only decorative. Main Deck always seemed like the best choice to avoid this issue.

We were on a Nieuw Amsterdam transatlantic in October and cabins on Deck 6 mid ship were ALL hot for the last 3-4 days of the cruise. Repeated requests to our cabin steward and the front desk went unanswered.

FINALLY, on the night before debarkation, it was so uncomfortable I went to the front desk.........again........and demanded a fan so we wouldn't pass out while packing.

A new ship and nonexistent service for AC problems. We did get a fan that we ran all night.

Shameful HAL service with no recognition or apology.

Edited by OBX-Cruisers

Really appreciate the feedback, and am especially relieved to hear that Main deck seems relatively safe. Perhaps most of the A/C problems were fixed in the Jan drydock?

We got off the Maasdam on June 6. We were in Cabin 300 the most forward cabin on port side of the Lower Prom deck.

We could not get the temp lower than 72, which for us, was warm.

Luckily, I had read about AC issues on CC prior to leaving, and I brought a small electric fan which made sleeping tolerable.

We have another Maasdam cruise booked for next year in the South Pacific, so I will be following how the AC is doing before the final payment date.

Other than the AC issue, we enjoyed being back on the Maasdam.

Sailed Maasdam 5-3/5-22 trans canal to Seattle in s/r 300. We did have a/c problems - not nearly cold enough - but fortunately we were aware of some deficiencies in some cabins. Phoned Ship's Services in advance of the cruise and requested a fan for the room, and happily it was there on our arrival, so sleeping was more comfortable.

• 2 weeks later...
Just off the Maasdam on Monday. We were on the Main deck and had an A/C problem. We couldn't turn off the A/C - way too cold. The next day the thermostat unit was replaced and everything worked fine.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Our exact experience. We were on the same cruise, also on Main deck. Had a technician look at the AC on the second day. He got up into the ceiling, turned the thermostat nob and said that it was not registering at all. He replaced the thermostat and that fixed the problem.

We got off the Maasdam on June 6. We were in Cabin 300 the most forward cabin on port side of the Lower Prom deck.

We could not get the temp lower than 72, which for us, was warm.

Luckily, I had read about AC issues on CC prior to leaving, and I brought a small electric fan which made sleeping tolerable.

We have another Maasdam cruise booked for next year in the South Pacific, so I will be following how the AC is doing before the final payment date.

Other than the AC issue, we enjoyed being back on the Maasdam.

Wow, 72 degrees cooling. We live in Florida, and you are in Nevada, both very warm states. If I tried to keep my house at 72 degrees in the summer, my central AC would run 24/7, and I would have a $1000 monthly electric bill. You guys in Nevada with hydroelectric power are lucky.

So it sounds like a 50 50 chance

Where did you get your data? I haven't seen these percentages.

Anyway, there appears to be a solution: Ask maintenance to change out the thermostat.

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from 14 day Alaska cruise today. The ship is in beautiful condition and heard zero complaints about AC. Those spreading the rumors about the lack of maintainence have obviously not sailed on the Maasdam recently.

I too, just debarked Maasdam 6/20-7/4 sailing. For her age, Maasdam is in fine shape. I noticed a lot of new furniture, carpets, etc from my last sailing on Maasdam just a year ago (Canada & New England). I found the A/C fine in my cabin (Navigation Deck) and could adjust it to be colder or warmer than I desired. Public areas were comfortable with no extreme variations. Only one formal (Gala) night was I warm in the DR with suit & tie. However, the evening sun had been shining on the windows near my table, so that is typical. We had beautiful weather for most of the cruise with temps ranging 52F - 68F.

Cannot speak to specific cabins, of course and as with any ship, your location and results may vary.

Edited by TampaMike

Just returned from 14 day Alaska cruise today. The ship is in beautiful condition and heard zero complaints about AC. Those spreading the rumors about the lack of maintainence have obviously not sailed on the Maasdam recently.

Agreed. The ship is a treasure.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

• 11 months later...
I too would appreciate more information.

Thank you.

Quoting from LocoLoco's review: but he said he would take the cruise again if it only cost $30 a day, not the $60 a day he apparently paid. Take it from there.

The ambiance aboard MAASDAM I would describe as 'sedated'. No...t'was funereal.

HAL is in trouble. Repeat...HAL is in trouble. Things have apparently changed recently on the HAL corporate level. Naughty, naughty HAL. Remember having a Librarian? Gone. 'Chocolate Extravaganza'? Gone. Ice sculpture carving? Gone. Poolside 'Beach Boy' live music? Gone. Sail-away Aft Deck Cocktails, HEATED Pools, Activity Directors for exercise, Volleyball, etc, BBQ Poolside Hog roast Luaus, all Deck Lounger chairs free for all passengers, late evening departures from Ports.... all gone.

I give the Cruise per se a 3-STAR rating solely account the wonderful staff and Ports. Would we take this 33-day cruise again...for $1000/bucks? Probably. For $2000 ? No.

Quoting from LocoLoco's review: but he said he would take the cruise again if it only cost $30 a day, not the $60 a day he apparently paid. Take it from there.

The ambiance aboard MAASDAM I would describe as 'sedated'. No...t'was funereal.

HAL is in trouble. Repeat...HAL is in trouble. Things have apparently changed recently on the HAL corporate level. Naughty, naughty HAL. Remember having a Librarian? Gone. 'Chocolate Extravaganza'? Gone. Ice sculpture carving? Gone. Poolside 'Beach Boy' live music? Gone. Sail-away Aft Deck Cocktails, HEATED Pools, Activity Directors for exercise, Volleyball, etc, BBQ Poolside Hog roast Luaus, all Deck Lounger chairs free for all passengers, late evening departures from Ports.... all gone.

I give the Cruise per se a 3-STAR rating solely account the wonderful staff and Ports. Would we take this 33-day cruise again...for $1000/bucks? Probably. For $2000 ? No.

Thanks OlsSalt! Appreciate the info!

Maybe he or she needs to find another cruise line.

I'm sorry to see some changes but we enjoy HAL and with every problem we have ever had which are a few they come through for us!!!

Will be on her way out of our home town of San Diego doing a 28 day!!! Even with a signature suit (Neptune) I expect possible problems maybe! It won't interfere with our cruise. I have stopped sweating the small stuff soooooo long ago and appreciate every day!

Smooth Sailings all!

Again thank you

Denise🤗

Thanks OlsSalt! Appreciate the info!

Maybe he or she needs to find another cruise line.

I'm sorry to see some changes but we enjoy HAL and with every problem we have ever had which are a few they come through for us!!!

Will be on her way out of our home town of San Diego doing a 28 day!!! Even with a signature suit (Neptune) I expect possible problems maybe! It won't interfere with our cruise. I have stopped sweating the small stuff soooooo long ago and appreciate every day!

Smooth Sailings all!

Again thank you

Denise

Sounds like a Carnival cruiser, but at $30 a day that might be a tall order too.

Not sure it is a one for one trade, but there have been plenty of good changes too and some of the changes like the Chocolate buffet played out their appeal long ago. I remember our last one and there was not a single thing that was worth the calories. Plus he is also inaccurately reporting some activities- there were still ice carving demonstrations.

We will be coming back to your hometown on her after the VOV, via Panama so will have more information later and will bring my trusty thermometer and provide another full daily cabin temperature/humidity report. Assuming like the Veendam, she will be A/C stressed as we hit the tropical zone hot spots for a few days. :cool:

Sounds like a Carnival cruiser, but at $30 a day that might be a tall order too.

Not sure it is a one for one trade, but there have been plenty of good changes too and some of the changes like the Chocolate buffet played out their appeal long ago. I remember our last one and there was not a single thing that was worth the calories. Plus he is also inaccurately reporting some activities- there were still ice carving demonstrations.

We will be coming back to your hometown on her after the VOV, via Panama so will have more information later and will bring my trusty thermometer and provide another full daily cabin temperature/humidity report. Assuming like the Veendam, she will be A/C stressed as we hit the tropical zone hot spots for a few days. :cool:

You say it soooo elequently!!!!

You will enjoy VOV cruise! We did it back in 2009. We decided to do the Maasdam cruise because #1 we just take our coaster down the street

Near the beach walking and in less than 18 minutes were at the port!

I agree with you maybe Carnival. I hate putting labels on things.

Keep us posted on your cruise ok? Or at least when you come back let us know!!!

Loved it when Kazu (Jacqui) did her detailed TA to Spain.

Happy cruising olsSalt!

Denise🤗