Regal Princess Suite Selection Help, Please

Safe77

Getting ready to book a suite on the Regal for a March 2017 sailing. My wife and I are looking at a Forward Premium Suite. Available suites are C101, D121 and D122. Can anyone shed any light on whether one of theses suites is better than the others? Or, would we be better to consider a Mid-Aft Penthouse suite? We're primarily cabin-and-balcony people (to us, the journey is the destination), so creature comforts in those places are more important than shows and facilities on the ship. It appears that balconies on all cabins are equally tiny, so I presume there is not much chance of an Ultimate Balcony Dining experience on the Regal. I greatly appreciate whatever help anyone can provide.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

First off, let me preface by saying I have not been on the Regal. I have been on the Royal, however, twice. Both of those times I was in suites. I have been in the midship penthouse suites, and I have been in the aft owner suite. Both the Royal and Regal are very, very similar to one another, so maybe I can help a bit.

The advantage to the midship penthouse suite is your proximity to everything Central on the ship, and access to the concierge lounge. The disadvantage is the balcony is so tiny. We could only have two chairs out on the balcony, and both had to be turned sideways.

The advantage to the aft suite is that it feels much larger than the penthouse suites, though it is quite a walk to get to any of the center or forward activities and venues. Also the balcony is huge in the aft suites, and they wrap around the aft quarter of the ship. The biggest disadvantage is many people have complained about soot leaking onto their aft balcony. We did not experience any soot on our cruise last June. When we are on the Royal again in two weeks, we will be in an aft suite. That is our preference.

Getting ready to book a suite on the Regal for a March 2017 sailing. My wife and I are looking at a Forward Premium Suite. Available suites are C101, D121 and D122. Can anyone shed any light on whether one of theses suites is better than the others? Or, would we be better to consider a Mid-Aft Penthouse suite? We're primarily cabin-and-balcony people (to us, the journey is the destination), so creature comforts in those places are more important than shows and facilities on the ship. It appears that balconies on all cabins are equally tiny, so I presume there is not much chance of an Ultimate Balcony Dining experience on the Regal. I greatly appreciate whatever help anyone can provide.

Just so you won't be surprised, the suites on the Royal/Regal don't have a wet bar or a jetted tub like the other ships.

Mike:)

When my friend and I were doing our research before booking a suite on Regal, we were told that the forward premium suites have one sliding door in the living area to the balcony, but the bedroom just has a window facing forward. The passengers were told to keep the window shades shut at night as the light bothers the staff on the bridge, plus the balcony is windy from being at the front of the ship. We decided against these rooms.

The mid ship penthouse suites have really small balconies, so that was a deal breaker.

We booked one of the aft owners suites because of the large, wrap around balcony. Plus we like to have a long walk to get to places on the ship - keeps us from gaining weight. The cabins on Dolphin and Baja decks have the largest balconies and supposedly the lower decks get less soot, so we booked one on the Dolphin deck.

We just came back from a Baltic cruise on the Regal the other day. We were in D726 the aft port side owners suite. We loved it. The weather was great so we were outside a good part of the time and we had NO soot issues at all. Would definitely book this cabin again.

Hi Mike-

Long time, friend!

TL

Hi Tracie;)

I've not been following the Princess thread much lately. We got a little tired of the crowds and the nickel and diming and took a small ship cruise in March With American Cruise Lines. Needless to say with only 100 passengers we were immediately spoiled.

Hope you have a great cruise in a few weeks!

Mike:)

We were in B734 on the Regal last December and of all the suite options available, the Aft Owners Suites are really the only way to go. For the price your paying, might as well get the best balcony you can. The Baja Suites are partially covered so there is some shade during the day.

We just came back from a Baltic cruise on the Regal the other day. We were in D726 the aft port side owners suite. We loved it. The weather was great so we were outside a good part of the time and we had NO soot issues at all. Would definitely book this cabin again.

So glad to hear that you liked that room - I'll be in the same one in 17 months. Aft suites are my favorite! On my last cruise, I was in a Vista suite and lying on the lounger watching the wake is the best relaxation I know. Happy to hear that you didn't have problems with soot. :)

First off, let me preface by saying I have not been on the Regal. I have been on the Royal, however, twice. Both of those times I was in suites. I have been in the midship penthouse suites, and I have been in the aft owner suite. Both the Royal and Regal are very, very similar to one another, so maybe I can help a bit.

The advantage to the midship penthouse suite is your proximity to everything Central on the ship, and access to the concierge lounge. The disadvantage is the balcony is so tiny. We could only have two chairs out on the balcony, and both had to be turned sideways.

The advantage to the aft suite is that it feels much larger than the penthouse suites, though it is quite a walk to get to any of the center or forward activities and venues. Also the balcony is huge in the aft suites, and they wrap around the aft quarter of the ship. The biggest disadvantage is many people have complained about soot leaking onto their aft balcony. We did not experience any soot on our cruise last June. When we are on the Royal again in two weeks, we will be in an aft suite. That is our preference.

We were in a Dolphin OS on the Royal's inaugural T/A. The daily soot build up was absolutely horrible. The day we got off the Royal in FFL, I had a chance to walk through a PH suite. If, and it is a big if:D, we were to ever sail the Royal or the Regal again it would definitely be in a PH over an OS. The one trade off is the balcony. For what is offered, the OS imho is an obscene waste of money.

Bob

Thanks, Bob. I know that you had huge issues. What a difference a couple decks makes.

We were on the Aloha aft OS without any soot issues. We will be in an Emerald OS in a couple of weeks. It is a very port intensive cruise. I will do a daily soot check- and report back in my live from.

Tracie-Lynn

Bob,

Why would you say that the OS was an obscene waste of money? When we were offered the upsell, both the OS and the PS were the same cost. Why not move to the bigger balcony and for us the better cabin. I love being in the back of the ship. To me it is nice and quite and i like the view from there.

We take upsells if we can afford them and if they are a good deal. This last cruise was a GREAT deal and we jumped on it.

To each his own: but we will take an aft OS whenever we can:)

My wife and I were on the May 12th Baltic cruise on the Regal in C102 and my parents were in C101. We've had the mid-aft suites before on other ships and weren't sure if we would like the forward suites but wanted to try them out. The bedrooms had lots of space and I really liked having the forward facing window. I could lay in the bed and see out the front of the ship. The balcony did not seem to be any windier than any other location when the ship was underway. Sabatini's was a relatively short walk in the mornings to the forward elevators and down to deck 5.

I'd book a forward suite again.

The only real issue we had was getting from our suite to my parents' and I haven't mentioned this in any other threads yet...

We booked C102 and then a few weeks later my parents decided to join us and booked C101. The Princess deck diagrams show a hallway running across the ship between the 2 suites and we thought it would be simple to go back and forth between our suites. There is, in fact, a hallway there but it is closed off and marked as a crew area (there are forward facing officers cabins there). Even the deck diagrams by each elevator show a hallway there. We spoke to the concierge about it and she agreed the diagrams are deceptive. Turns out we had to walk aft to the forward elevators to cross over to the other side and then forward again. I estimate the distance was 450-500 feet, not the 40-50 feet we expected.

Overall this did not detract from our enjoyment of the cruise but was just way less convenient than we expected.