Trying to See the Value of a Drink Package - HELP

I've mulled the idea of getting a drink package, especially with this recent 20% price drop on all packages.

And, before I posted this, trying to read some of the drink threads on this topic.

While on vacation, I may have three beers a day. Before dinner, may have a drink or two. So, adding up say, 3 beers a day and maybe 2-3 drinks a day on top of that - is the drink package worth it?

I have no idea how much drinks are on board, for starters. I've heard the taxes are dropped once the ship leaves the pier.

Anyone please offer what you think on this, thanks.

Edited by johnjen

Not sure, if you had 5 drinks maybe , less than 5 I would not get it , more I would

I agree. We break even at 4/5. Anything over that is gravy.

Here is a link to GAMBEE'S reviews. He is famous here..lol. Click on the top of the page for menu's and drink menu's.

http://www.cruisewithgambee.com/

You should be able to figure out if it is advantageous for you.:)

On Jewel last week most beers were $5.50. Cocktail of the day was $8.95. Decent wine $12.00.

So 3 x 5.5 + 1 x 8.95 + 2 x 12.00 = $49.45 + 18% = $58.35.

Remember that the package price includes the gratuity.

I think you will find the 20% off sale is not really 20%. Royal seems to have done the same to drink package prices that they do to cruise fares, raised them and then put the sale on. Most people report the break even point to be 5-6 of the most expensive drinks. Three beers and three cocktails probably doesn't break even. You also need to ask yourself if you will drink the same amount on port days. Maybe what you do is pay ala carte the first day then look at what your total spend is. If it looks like a drink package will save you, then add it on day 2.

I am like you in my wavering in this. We are not big drinkers but always had 2 or 3 drinks in the CL and then the old wine package for dinner. This cruise we opted for a regular balcony because the price was hard to pass up.

With top drink prices hovering at about 12 for a martini or even passable wine plus tip, it would take 4 of those to break even on the premium package. Add in 3 or 4 bottles of water and a Diet Coke or 2, 3 or more then it works.

I am leaning toward trying it just to see if it is something we want for future cruises. I have enough onboard credit to cover most of it so we won't have that feeling of drinking too much to meet the quota.

We leave on the 25th and I plan on writing a full review and for will give a detailed breakdown of what we drank each day.

The only issue will be the price.

The pre cruise price us 47.00. Recent reviews say it is 49 on board. If that price holds then we will get it. If it is higher probably not.

If you're unsure snd estimate borderline consumption to make it economical, it may 'pay' to just buy drinks per glass initially and if you think it worthwhile you can purchase a package onboard .. You can purchase anytime up until 4 days prior to the completion of your cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In my opinion, the drink package is absolutely worth it.

You might not think so when you see the initial cost. However, the pay per drink method will add up and over the cost per day. Most drinks on the ship are 10-13 (mostly 13). If you want an idea of some of the costs, in one of my recent cruise vlogs I posted the drink menu from the Champagne bar on the allure in Day 6 video (

).

I also think the package is worth it because you get to try drinks you normally wouldn't drink at home, and if you don't like it...no big deal, no money wasted just get something else and you don't have to worry about the cost.

Don't just think of alcohol when you are trying to decide if a package makes sense for you. Do you also drink soda or are you happy with the complimentary drinks available on the ship? What about bottled water, fresh squeezed juice or specialty coffees?

Make sure you add the cost of those items, they could easily push you over the breakeven point and make a drink package the right choice.

As one poster above mentioned, I always drop the price in my mind by about $10 because I am gonna get a soda package regardless, and you also need to consider specialty coffees and water...

A second consideration other than just price is convenience. If I'm close to the break even point, it is nice having a package and taking the stress out of my vacation. Want a drink, get one and not worry about if I really need it, or if its worth it or what my final bill will be.

Completely agree with Doug S. After much debate, I ended up buying the Premium package for hubs and I for our upcoming cruise. I decided that I didn't want to have to worry every time I ordered something, and it's already paid for. Even if we are off the ship, we'll probably grab bottles of water to take with us, and when we are back on we'll have some cocktails by the pool, with dinner and at the evening entertainment events. I think it will quickly add up to at least break even for us.

You also need to consider days in port - are you still drinking those 2 extra drinks on board those days?

After getting the Ultimate and Premium packages on my last two trips, I know that I will never do it again. I will try the Royal Replenishment (no alcohol) on my next cruise. Works for many, but I now know that it won't work for me. (I also do Chef's Table, which is another wasted drink package day.)

Contrary to popular belief, the 20% is a true 20% at least on my Oasis October cruise.

I have been tracking the premium package since we booked in January and the package truly went down 20% three weeks ago to $44 per day. I just bought it for four of us.

After reviewing the most recent drink menu prices posted here on CC, I estimated average $10 per drink. I drink a few bloody marys' in the morning on deck, a few beers around lunch in early/late afternoon, and a couple of glasses of wine during dinner. Then maybe a few cocktails while watching a show or just hanging out in some public area. My DW likes her good wine ie: Le Crema at $15 a glass. Yes, I know I have to pay the extra.

So at $44 per day I figure five drinks, which I do before lunch, and I am even. Plus, I am only paying 18% on $44.

Good posts so far. Now, those of you who are better at math than I, we are on 5 night Oasis, we are diamond....so we get 3 drinks per day on our sea pass card and if they don't change, also get drinks in Diamond Lounge. The question is, Would it be worth the $$$$ for us to buy? Neither of us drinks sodas, OJ can take or leave, do like a beer with lunch and wine with dinner. I figure we can pick up wine on way to dinner using 1 of 3 drinks on card.

We had packages on recent Constellation cruise with Celebrity as part of the package 1-2-3 we received when we booked and in 13 nights/14 days, never once did either of us consume the total allowed. We were B2B and because we are Elite+ with Celebrity, we had more perks than we needed.

C&A advised me to wait until 2nd day of cruise to make a decision.

In my opinion, the drink package is absolutely worth it.

You might not think so when you see the initial cost. However, the pay per drink method will add up and over the cost per day. Most drinks on the ship are 10-13 (mostly 13). If you want an idea of some of the costs, in one of my recent cruise vlogs I posted the drink menu from the Champagne bar on the allure in Day 6 video (

).

I also think the package is worth it because you get to try drinks you normally wouldn't drink at home, and if you don't like it...no big deal, no money wasted just get something else and you don't have to worry about the cost.

Regarding the bolded... I get you don't have to worry about "wasting" money if you get a drink you don't like, but isn't the potential there to "waste" money if you don't get enough drinks over the week?

The break even is around 5-6 drinks a day, right? But that also includes port days. If you have day long excursions planned, maybe you only get 2-3 drinks that day. So you need to make up the "missed" drinks.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still debating for me, but I know on my last two cruises, my bar tab was only $200-250. I'd hate to have gotten a drink package and "wasted" hundreds of dollars so I don't "waste" $13 by getting a drink I don't like.

Completely agree with Doug S. After much debate, I ended up buying the Premium package for hubs and I for our upcoming cruise. I decided that I didn't want to have to worry every time I ordered something, and it's already paid for. Even if we are off the ship, we'll probably grab bottles of water to take with us, and when we are back on we'll have some cocktails by the pool, with dinner and at the evening entertainment events. I think it will quickly add up to at least break even for us.

Good point on the water, we would get 5/6 bottles a day that adds up also

Regarding the bolded... I get you don't have to worry about "wasting" money if you get a drink you don't like, but isn't the potential there to "waste" money if you don't get enough drinks over the week?

The break even is around 5-6 drinks a day, right? But that also includes port days. If you have day long excursions planned, maybe you only get 2-3 drinks that day. So you need to make up the "missed" drinks.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still debating for me, but I know on my last two cruises, my bar tab was only $200-250. I'd hate to have gotten a drink package and "wasted" hundreds of dollars so I don't "waste" $13 by getting a drink I don't like.

This is exactly what it comes down to, people have to do their own math and figure out what works best for them. I get a replenish package but didn't on one cruise that was an 8 night cruise with only one sea day. Wasn't worth the expense since we were off the ship so much. On our recent Oasis cruise, I did get the replenish because we had 3 sea days and one of our ports was Labadee, where I could use my package.

The problem is you need a strong liver as you defiantly drink more on a package because it's paid for and readily available. Every time the drinks waiter comes past you you just think why not I'm on holiday. Or perhaps it's me just weak willed [emoji3]

I'm on the fence as well. I'm usually not a big drinker but this time I'm going with others who are. I can definitely see myself drinking more than usual on this cruise. Two drinks during the day, two glasses of wine with dinner and two drinks in the evening does not sound like a lot when you are hanging out with people who consume much more than that and do have the drink package. Add in a couple of specialty coffees and it seems like a no brainer but I just can't bring myself to spend that much on a drink package when I have never had anywhere near that much before.

Just when I think I have made a decision, I wake up the next morning with a different one. :(

If you add in 4 or 5?bottles of water per day it really only takes 3 drinks per day to break even. I don't think the point us to get roaring drunk every day. Even on port days we eat lunch on the ship so a glass of wine with lunch, a pre dinner cocktail and a glass or two of wine dinner works for me.

Here is my thinking. I bought the Ultimate Beverage Package for our upcoming cruise.

5 (minimum) bottle water x 2.25= $11.25

3 Pellegrino x 4.00=$12.00

Soda package $8.00 a day

1 Bloody Mary (day) $10.00

3 signature cocktails $12.00= 36.00

Total $77.25

You don't have to drink a lot or be drunk for the package to work. Cruising and buying the drink package is still better pricing for most all inclusives. I don't even drink some days at all inclusives, and never feel like I didn't get my money's worth.

Edited by IDcruising

I'm on the fence as well. I'm usually not a big drinker but this time I'm going with others who are. I can definitely see myself drinking more than usual on this cruise. Two drinks during the day, two glasses of wine with dinner and two drinks in the evening does not sound like a lot when you are hanging out with people who consume much more than that and do have the drink package. Add in a couple of specialty coffees and it seems like a no brainer but I just can't bring myself to spend that much on a drink package when I have never had anywhere near that much before.

Just when I think I have made a decision, I wake up the next morning with a different one. :(

remember, to get specialty coffees with a drink plan you need the Ultimate package which is about $10 more per day than the premium package

remember, to get specialty coffees with a drink plan you need the Ultimate package which is about $10 more per day than the premium package

I think that varies with the ship/sailing. On my sailing, the difference is only $6 per day. Two lattes will more than make up that additional cost.