Was hoping for Galapagos in 2018, but have to wait until 2019

kctwinmommy

We were planning on doing the Galapagos in 2018 on Celebrity Xpedition, but it appears everything is booked already. It's us, with our son, and another couple with their son (both would be teenagers by then). And there were no triple rooms left! And no balconies of course. So I think, as excited as we were to do it, we'll have to wait an extra year. As the travel agent said, it might be better to wait that year to get rooms we really want. Plus, our summer would be shorter in 2018 since our son would be graduating 8th grade late in June with the public school, then starting Catholic high school in mid-August, leaving only 2 months to really do it, and be ready to start a new school. So it seems that waiting an extra year might be the best in many ways.

FYI the only staterooms with balconies on Xpedition are suites - there are only two categories of rooms, oceanview and suites (no insides and no non-suite balconies). Keep in mind it is a much smaller vessel than Celebrity's other ships and likewise the staterooms are significantly smaller than those on M-Class and S-Class ships. It is a wonderful experience though despite the small rooms.

Edited by Gonzo70

FYI the only staterooms with balconies on Xpedition are suites - there are only two categories of rooms, oceanview and suites (no insides and no non-suite balconies). Keep in mind it is a much smaller vessel than Celebrity's other ships and likewise the staterooms are significantly smaller than those on M-Class and S-Class ships. It is a wonderful experience though despite the small rooms.

Yeah, we knew that too... I've never been on Celebrity, but I have been researching this one for a little while now, so I understand the much smaller size. I'm just hoping that if we wait for the 2019 season to be released that we can get in right away to book one of the suites then.

We were planning on doing the Galapagos in 2018 on Celebrity Xpedition, but it appears everything is booked already. It's us, with our son, and another couple with their son (both would be teenagers by then). And there were no triple rooms left! And no balconies of course. So I think, as excited as we were to do it, we'll have to wait an extra year. As the travel agent said, it might be better to wait that year to get rooms we really want. Plus, our summer would be shorter in 2018 since our son would be graduating 8th grade late in June with the public school, then starting Catholic high school in mid-August, leaving only 2 months to really do it, and be ready to start a new school. So it seems that waiting an extra year might be the best in many ways.

Something to look forward to.

Just off the Xpedition last week and it was an incredible trip!

My friends plans to bring their teenage grandson and had booked a suite next summer. She was told there is a limit on the number of people they can take on the ship, so although some of the suites can accommodate more than 2 people they have to limit the number of passengers. It took them awhile to find a week that could accommodate them because there were 3.

A couple months ago Celebrity called my friend and notified her they had booked a charter for the same week she had booked. They couldn't find another summer date that that could accommodate them with 3 in a suite, so she had to rebook the following summer. You're smart to book as soon as the dates come out to get the exact week and cabin you want.

I know that this is a Celebrity board but there are other luxury level ships that do the Galapagos other than Celebrity. Most of them are a lot less expensive than Celebrity. Go on some of the Galapagos sites and check them out.

DON

What am I missing?

I find availability for 3 pax for virtually every sailing in the summer of 2018.

My travel agent looked, and I've looked, for the entire month of July, which is when we need to go, there are none. As soon as I pick one, and then change it from 2 adults, to 2 adults/1 child it says...

Unfortunately we ran out of Suite/Deluxe staterooms for this sailing. Let's try again by choosing another class or call our certified vacation planners at 1-800-647-2251 for assistance.

So I'm not sure what you're looking at then...

I know that this is a Celebrity board but there are other luxury level ships that do the Galapagos other than Celebrity. Most of them are a lot less expensive than Celebrity. Go on some of the Galapagos sites and check them out.

DON

Actually the only other one I've looked at is Silversea and they're more expensive. I don't want one of the really small ships either.

Have you tried wait listing? Average cruise ship cabin is sold, resold 6 times before sail.You might try X directly.Put up a deposit and you go to top of list.

Considering it's going to be 2 families sailing, we're just going to wait now. It'll be better to do it right when they open the 2019 sailings instead. Trying to squeeze something in, if it's not what we want, is just asking for problems! LOL!

We'll wait and get suites for the cruise we want.

What am I missing?

I find availability for 3 pax for virtually every sailing in the summer of 2018.

And I didn't mention it before, but we need 2 rooms with 3 passengers in each. Plus, once we thought about it, we'd want a balcony and there are very few of them. So while there may be 1 room that holds three people, there aren't 2.

Have you considered 3 rooms of 2? We are a family of 4, and our last cruise we put our middle school aged kids right next door to us. They loved having regular beds and it was nice having the extra bathroom. You could do balcony rooms for adults and an inside accross for the 2 kids

Have you considered 3 rooms of 2? We are a family of 4, and our last cruise we put our middle school aged kids right next door to us. They loved having regular beds and it was nice having the extra bathroom. You could do balcony rooms for adults and an inside accross for the 2 kids

There are no inside rooms on this ship. It's not a big deal though, we'll wait to get the rooms we want. The balcony suites are sold out too on most of the sailings. This ship only has room for 100 people, so they can only put so many people in the room. We had considered doing 3 rooms though, but then decided it would be better to wait and get the rooms we want.

Actually the only other one I've looked at is Silversea and they're more expensive. I don't want one of the really small ships either.

I do not consider these small and they are probably less expensive than either Celebrity or Silverseas. They are also less expensive than either Celebrity or Silverseas. We are paying $6480 for our 8 day 7 night cruise on La Pinta. You may need to do a bit of research but there are a lot of good cruise lines out there besides the big 5 or 6 that Americans always flock to.

Silver Galapagos 100 passengers

La Pinta 48 passengers

Eclipse 48 passengers

Galapagos Legend 100 passengers

DON

I do not consider these small and they are probably less expensive than either Celebrity or Silverseas. They are also less expensive than either Celebrity or Silverseas. We are paying $6480 for our 8 day 7 night cruise on La Pinta. You may need to do a bit of research but there are a lot of good cruise lines out there besides the big 5 or 6 that Americans always flock to.

Silver Galapagos 100 passengers

La Pinta 48 passengers

Eclipse 48 passengers

Galapagos Legend 100 passengers

DON

Thanks, but 2 of those are smaller and not what I want. And I know the Silver Galapagos is much more expensive, we already had their quote. And a quick look at the La Pinta looks like it's more expensive than Celebrity as well.

I'm just more comfortable sticking with what we're looking at. This is a very different trip for us, and we're traveling with our son, so we're looking for things that would be right for us. Thanks for the info though.

And I didn't mention it before, but we need 2 rooms with 3 passengers in each. Plus, once we thought about it, we'd want a balcony and there are very few of them. So while there may be 1 room that holds three people, there aren't 2.

I just did a dummy booking and there definitely are two suites with balconies available in July of 2018. For example the July 1st sailing has four Xpedition Suites available (all can hold three and have a balcony) as well as the Penthouse Suite. Same situation for the July 15th sailing.

There really is no need for a balcony on this cruise...it's a small ship and everyone is friendly. At night, you're tired from the day's activities and during the day when you can see, you are on excursions, not on the ship. Your "kids" aren't going to party every night...there's no place to party and probably no one to party with. It's not like a normal cruise. We never sail in a non balcony cabin...but we did on the Xpedition and it was a wonderful cruise. We didn't miss the balcony for a second.

I really would suggest three double rooms and don't worry about which deck they are on....the XD and XP are essentially identical. There is no advantage to being higher up...in fact, given the variability of the seas in the Galapagos being lower may be an advantage (for the record, we were in an XD cabin).

Edited by ghstudio

I just did a dummy booking and there definitely are two suites with balconies available in July of 2018. For example the July 1st sailing has four Xpedition Suites available (all can hold three and have a balcony) as well as the Penthouse Suite. Same situation for the July 15th sailing.

Yes, now it's there! It was not there earlier today... I kept getting a message that it was sold out. Oh well, I think we'll just wait now anyway!

I just read some where that X was buying some other ships to do the Galapagos. How soon this will come about, Who knows.

If you are travelers not just cruisers, we were talk to a tour guide while she waited for her group. Ask her abut the Galapagos and she said there are really good inexpensive ways/cruise ships to see them. I have no idea your budget, but this is a expensive trip. Flying into Quito and getting to the coast and is relatively easy. You, as others have said, might want to check these alternate trips out.

There really is no need for a balcony on this cruise...it's a small ship and everyone is friendly. At night, you're tired from the day's activities and during the day when you can see, you are on excursions, not on the ship. It's not like a normal cruise. We never sail in a non balcony cabin...but we did on the Xpedition and it was a wonderful cruise. We didn't miss the balcony for a second.

Excellent points; every one of my Celebrity cruises other than Xpedition has been in a room with a balcony - more often than not in a suite. On Xpedtiion I just had an Oceanview room and did not miss a balcony at all. So much going on throughout the daylight hours and by the time I entered my stateroom at night, I was beat and it was just about time to sleep. Doubt I would have spent more than minimal time on a balcony that cruise, even though typically while cruising I love having a balcony and utilize it a fair amount.