Is there such a thing as best month to go?

spleenstomper

No, there is no "best" month. Some months may be better for different things, depending on what you are looking for - snow on mountains, salmon spawning, daylight hours, less rain, bear viewing, fewer children, lower prices, etc. You need to determine what you want out of your cruise, then pick the best time for you.

We usually go the end of July because that's our anniversary. We've been lucky with good weather most of the time, but last year it rained nearly the entire week, so there are no guarantees.

In searching, it seems most go in July. Some threads are titled "May or September".

In 2 years from this labor day, DH and I will be empty nesters and I would like to celebrate that!

(I had 3 kids in 2 years and so I'm exhausted! Lol. I am thrilled to watch them grow up and then launch!)

So during a college schedule when they can't moan about going with us, lol, is when I'd like to book.

There are pros and cons to each month. So you really have to consider what you want to see and do.

Mid May - mid June is generally sunnier and drier. Plus fewer kids on board and there is lots of snow in the mountains so people think its a more scenic time to travel. HOWEVER, if you're doing a one-way with land travel, you may find that some locations/excursions aren't available until after Memorial Day. And the road at Denali isn't fully open until June 8.

Generally speaking the weather gets wetter as the summer progresses. However late June is when salmon runs start so that's when bear viewing trips start. (Each location has a different peak viewing time.)

After mid August you risk a fall storm and they can be brutal. Due to work, my trips are end of July thru end of Aug . I usually get lots of rain. :( In 2 weeks I can see 2 days of sun. One year we had snow in Denali in mid Aug, and another yr in Aug we were hammered by a fall storm. (A HAL ship couldn't leave Seward because of the high winds and rough seas).

If I had a choice I would go early June.

We went a round trip Seattle in Sept. (with Tracy Arm) a few years ago and had perfectly glorious weather in Alaska! Sunshine every day and people were in the pools (too cold for us Texans though!). It was the last Alaska cruise of the season for that particular Princess ship. There was a bit of drizzle/light rain in Victoria but that was "packing night" so we just got off, went into the port building, and got back on. Seattle was overcast too.

Went the 3rd week in August last year, again RT Seattle but Glacier Bay this time and again, the same glorious weather! This time, Victoria was nice so we took a long walk. Seattle weather acceptable too.

Going RT Seattle again this year the 3rd week in August. Doubt we can hit it just right again but we're OK with that! Just glad to be on a cruise.

There are better months for certain activities.

If you want to go dog mushing on a glacier, don't go mid August and on. The snow may be melted on the glacier. Date changes every year.

If you want to go on bear excursion, go end of July and then on.

If you want to go with snow on the mountains - go in May/first of June.

If you want to see salmon running, go end of July and on.

Historically, there is less rain the end of May and it keeps increases the rest of the summer. Mid-September and on can have awful storms.

Fishing doesn't seem to be very good in May/early June in Ketchikan.

If you want to see Denali, go after June 1.

Whatever activity you are interested in -research that.

I personally love mid-May/early June. I like the cool weather as it will be 100 this week where I live. I don't go for warmth there.

Only been once but the last cruise of the season was glorious, 60s to 80s and everyone in rainy Ketchikan in shorts and shirtless out painting their houses! No rain at all until inside coming home and just cloudy back in VC.

Great glacier calving and got up close on Radiance. The only downside was a lot of the whales had moved on to Hawaii by then, but we did see some.

So we chose to go again this Sept. 2nd. Hope it pans out.

Thanks so much. Ideally September would be best, but i have time to think as no itineraries are available.

Next, which cruise line. Lol. Leaning toward Holland America, but will read up extensively on this. Or just pick one. Probably all basically the same, no?

Edited by spleenstomper

• May and September is cheaper, but colder and some excursions are not running. Some like these months as you can do back 2 back cruise getting to/from Alaska.
  • May can mean ice congestion to some glacier viewing sites like Tracy Arm/Sawyer
  • May to July is dryer in Alaska, August will see more rain and September will be wettest. If too stormy to dock.... cruise ships will skip the port.
  • July to August will be dryer in Cascadia
  • May to August will give you more day light
  • August and September offer better wildlife opportunities
  • August starts to get wet.... with storms more likely in September.
  • I like late-July for weather compromise and wildlife. It's also priced higher.
  • some ports offer seasonal opportunities like fireworks and pride celebrations, but can also mean congestion.
  • http://www.alaska.org/advice/best-time-to-visit-alaska => it recommends mid-June to mid-July!

Edited by xlxo

Next, which cruise line. Lol. Leaning toward Holland America, but will read up extensively on this. Or just pick one. Probably all basically the same, no?

Not necessarily. Only a handful of cruise lines have the permits to get into Glacier Bay. These are HAL, Princess and NCL. If Glacier Bay is on your wish list, you should limit yourself to one of those three lines.

Then decide your disembarkation/embarkation port(s). I recommend Vancouver as ships go up the Canadian Inside Passage between Vancouver Island and the mainland; it's very scenic. Ships departing from Seattle go up on the west side of Vancouver Island, out in the open ocean where there is water, water everywhere.

Do you want to do a round trip or a one way cruise? A one way cruise allows you to visit Denali and may offer Hubbard Glacier during the cruise. Or maybe you want to do a cruise tour.

Read your Frommers, or any other guide book, and read here. Decide what ports/glaciers/fjords you want to see and then choose the cruise line and itinerary that gives you most or all of what you want to see.

Alaska is more about the itinerary than the ship or cruise line.

To me September is my last choice. Chance of lousy weather increase dramatically the later in the month you sail and daylight hours are far too short. You will miss all scenery after leaving port that earlier in the year you will have hours of twilight to enjoy.

I prefer late May-mid June for snow on the mountains, long daylight and usually the driest weather.

I was there May 20 - 30.

It was a high of 16*C or 64*F daily & no rain.

Sea was like glass.

We were there May 20-27. Weather was great. So, late May is our pick. We are doing the very same dates next year as well. Hoping for the same great weather.

Edited by ProfessorandtheGeek

I was just there. I returned yesterday. The weather the entire time was absolutely gorgeous. Upper 50's/lower 60's most days. VERY little rain (a light sprinkle in Skagway that ended quickly and an hour long light shower in Icy Strait Point). This is NOT indicative of normal weather there though, it was pure luck. It doesn't matter when you go, the weather can be finicky there. Some months are statistically better than others, but it's still just luck.

With that said, good luck in whatever choice you make! :)

To me September is my last choice. Chance of lousy weather increase dramatically the later in the month you sail and daylight hours are far too short. You will miss all scenery after leaving port that earlier in the year you will have hours of twilight to enjoy.

I prefer late May-mid June for snow on the mountains, long daylight and usually the driest weather.

That did not occur on our Sept. cruise. The weather could not have been better, animal sightings were abundant, I even got a humpback breaching on video. Not a drop of rain until on the way back to VC. And we saw plenty of gorgeous scenery at all times of day.

Every day just like this:

1zmilqo.jpg we were whale watching from our aft balcony.

Just sayin....

I agree with KTB, any month can be wet or dry, it's all the luck of the draw, but based on our experience we chose Sept. again.

Edited by BecciBoo

Our anniversary is in August and we have celebrated it twice on an Alaskan cruise. We are celebrating again this year with a 14 day Alaska cruise.

We have been fortunate to have had nice warm weather on our previous cruises. Our first cruise was a 7 day round trip from Seattle. The only time we had rain was in Ketchikan. We were prepared for it since I had done my research and read that Ketchikan has a high average rainfall. It was pouring that day but it didn't stop us from enjoying on our rainforest excursion. The highlight was when a mother bear and her two cubs ran across our path!

Our second cruise was one way southbound from Seward to Vancouver. The only rain we had was in Juneau. But the weather in Ketchikan was wonderful with bright sunshine all day!

You just never know so be prepared. Cruising is a great way to travel, and Alaska is amazing!