I should have listened to my gut- now I am hosed

I see you have not mastered the difference between a cancel and a no show. A cancel empties 1 bed and that passenger is refunded what is due. That leaves an unpaid bed. A no show is a passenger who has paid for the bed but simply doesn't show up and makes no claim for refund.. No refund except taxes.

This is incorrect. A cancel after the payment in full forfeits the money that the pax has paid. Carnival then charges the remaining pax the fee single supplement fee. Yes, it's double dipping on Carnival's part but it's their policy.

If the pax does nothing (i.e. doesn't cancel ahead of time), the remaining pax shows up and says I don't know whether that person is coming or not. They will NOT charge the remaining pax the single supplement fee.

I've followed this some with a passing curiosity...a few things don't make sense, but regardless, I too wondered why the $1500 was not enough to cover the fare.

But, not to start slamming Carnival, they state the cancelation policies up front so we all are aware of whats involved, but I guess where I'd have some issue with Carnival is if this friend "cancels" vs a no show, we know Carnival does not refund the majority if any of the fare paid, they then "turn" to the other person and say, sorry kid, your friend bailed, you still wanna go, cough up an additional $$$$ and you can go, otherwise, sorry. Really? I guess that does not sit with me very well. Cancel/no show...same difference to Carnival..they have both cruise fares and someone to possibly collect more onboard $$ from....but they'd rather hold both fares paid, and have the non-canceled pax pay more?? Yea...that one doesn't go down well.

If you do a mock booking and enter only 1 person, look at the fare, its the same as a 2 person rate minus the port fees and taxes. So when 1 person cancels, the other becomes a solo and they'll charge as such.

ETA: Essentially, they want the on board spending money for the no show or solo cruiser.

When my two adult kids were going with us, my DH couldn't make it so we just treated her as a no show. Right before muster drill, they called their cabin and asked where she was, DS told her she couldn't make it. End of story.

Edited by tonit964

If I understand the OP, her friend (I use the term loosly) isn't concerned about not getting a refund from CCL - she's advising that if she cancels the cruise her company will reimburse her anything she's lost due to them springing this conference on her after she's paid for the cruise.

OP - maybe she can just show her supervisor the CCL invoice showing that she's paid for the cruise - I can't imagine that they have to actually see something that says she officially canceled it. Maybe the invoice and a copy of CCL's policy on canceling and refunds will suffice. Then she could just be a no-show. Either way she's out the $$ and her company should reimburse her. Worth a shot anyway.

I wish you the best with this - it stinks all the way around.

This would be a good option to try. Sorry this happened to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all- I don't know if what happened is right or if I got screwed or came out ahead. I didn't talk to an attorney or anything. What I understood from the Carnival rep was if my cabin mate cancelled the week before she would forfeit her deposit and if I went on the cruise I would be charged the single supplemental because there was not a second person in the cabin.

If she was a no show I would not have been charged the supplemental.

She turned out to be a word I won't say here and cancelled. So because she was the person who booked I could have gone on the cruise and paid the supplement or cancelled and lost only the port fees and taxes.

I contacted my travel insurance company which I got through USAA and was told that my cabin mare having to travel for work would not help my situation.

Word to the wise- we did not get travel insurance through the same company on the same agreement. If I was traveling with a spouse who had lost his job maybe I would have been covered. The work related things are very complicated.

Another lesson learned- know the insurance terms before you buy(frankly I do not blame them at all for not covering this situation).

So anyway there was a ton of emphasis all the way around from the cruise company and the insurance company that this was a friend and not family or a member of the household.

I am over the sadness and anger. I lost a friend, I did not go on the cruise, I did accept the $1500 in a money order and I did go to a local spa resort on my own.

But you could have taken the $1500 she paid you (if you got it in time) and just paid it to Carnival for the single supplement and still went on the cruise. I think that is what people are wondering why you didn't just pay carnival and take the cruise. But you may not have had the money in time to do it.

Isn't the cabin paid in full? Carnival isn't going to give her her money back. Her company is going to reimburse her. If she has cancel for any reason insurance and double dips against that and her company, that is fraud.

So anyway there was a ton of emphasis all the way around from the cruise company and the insurance company that this was a friend and not family or a member of the household.

I am over the sadness and anger. I lost a friend, I did not go on the cruise, I did accept the $1500 in a money order and I did go to a local spa resort on my own.

sorry to hear how she stabbed you in the back. maybe it is comforting to now know she was not the friend you thought she was. hope you enjoyed your stay at the local spa resort.

She turned out to be a word I won't say here and cancelled. So because she was the person who booked I could have gone on the cruise and paid the supplement or cancelled and lost only the port fees and taxes.

Another lesson learned- know the insurance terms before you buy(frankly I do not blame them at all for not covering this situation).

I think I totally wrote this part wrong. If she was a no show I could have cruised for what I had already paid. Because she cancelled and she booked I could only cruise if I paid a single supplemental regardless of whether she got any money back. It was even more complicated- she booked both of us and we paid separate but because she booked if I wanted to go on the cruise I had to lose what I had paid at that point and then re book. At whatever rate was available and pay the single supplement. Because she booked and cancelled it was all wrapped up together.

I am just happy she gave me some money back.

I think I totally wrote this part wrong. If she was a no show I could have cruised for what I had already paid. Because she cancelled and she booked I could only cruise if I paid a single supplemental regardless of whether she got any money back. It was even more complicated- she booked both of us and we paid separate but because she booked if I wanted to go on the cruise I had to lose what I had paid at that point and then re book. At whatever rate was available and pay the single supplement. Because she booked and cancelled it was all wrapped up together.

I am just happy she gave me some money back.

So she cancelled the entire reservation and not just herself? Because if she would have just canceled herself and left the booking with you on it then you would just pay whatever your fare was again minus taxes/port fees. Example: you guys had 2 people booked at $500pp = $1000 per cabin. She cancels now your cabin is a solo cabin so you would need to pay the additional $500 to basically take her place. Does that make sense?

So she cancelled the entire reservation and not just herself? Because if she would have just canceled herself and left the booking with you on it then you would just pay whatever your fare was again minus taxes/port fees. Example: you guys had 2 people booked at $500pp = $1000 per cabin. She cancels now your cabin is a solo cabin so you would need to pay the additional $500 to basically take her place. Does that make sense?

I had not thought of the angle of her cancelling the whole reservation. :eek: If she just cancelled herself, the supplement would not be increased and there would be no need to fully rebook at a potentially higher rate.

Have you told her how much it's going to cost you? I would ring up and ask the cruise line what you'd have to pay if she is unable to take the cruise, so you can tell her. She may be downplaying it in her mind so she doesn't feel so bad - if you ring her up and say, "OK, if you cancel, you owe me $....", she may think again.

To be fair, do you know the situation with this conference? If it's a compulsory thing then she might be risking her job by refusing to go, so it may not be as bs as you think.

ok, I am not a lawyer, but I will try to see it from "judge Judy" point of view

- get the actual numbers of if you go vs if you also have to cancel

- make your decision for you based on those numbers.

- but your "roommate" will have to pay part of your lose .

However, if you can still cancel without penalty, then you can't charge her for double supplement.

ok, I am not a lawyer, but I will try to see it from "judge Judy" point of view

- get the actual numbers of if you go vs if you also have to cancel

- make your decision for you based on those numbers.

- but your "roommate" will have to pay part of your lose .

However, if you can still cancel without penalty, then you can't charge her for double supplement.

This thing is over and done with. All settled. OP was paid what was owed and she went to a spa with the cash.

Next case!

Carnival has there money for the cabin why should she pay a double supplement? That means Carnival is getting three times the rate for the cabin.

I know it doesn't seem fair. But those are the rules. Cruise lines and most tours do this all the time. If it wasn't a common practice you wouldn't see coverage in insurance policies for solo supplements.

I agree- none of this is Carnival's fault. I never meant to criticize the cruise line. This is in no way on the company. I was stupid and my friend is a word I can't write here. It is fine- just another opportunity for me to work on my emotional IQ.

However I would have loved to go on Judge Judy. Only she probably would have just pointed out how stupid I was. Anyway my oldest niece is turning 18. Ideas for the best cruise to take her on for a present?

What a Story. Glad you got some cash and were able to take a vacation. Would love to know the name you you pinned on your former friend . I know what I would call her. But I want to remain a CC Member......I have suggestion for your cruise with your Niece. We recently took our 21 year old on the NCL Escape and had a Blast So get on your bike and peddle down to POM

However I would have loved to go on Judge Judy. Only she probably would have just pointed out how stupid I was. Anyway my oldest niece is turning 18. Ideas for the best cruise to take her on for a present?[/quote

Thats the perfect way to bounce back. Hope u find a super cruise:cool:

What a Story. Glad you got some cash and were able to take a vacation. Would love to know the name you you pinned on your former friend . I know what I would call her. But I want to remain a CC Member

This is funny because I can't even think the word in my head. Even in my head I can only think " the C word". No wonder nobody takes me seriously if I can't even swear in my own head.

Edited by princesstiffany

This is funny because I can't even think the word in my head. Even in my head I can only think " the C word". No wonder nobody takes me seriously if I can't even swear in my own head.

No, that only goes to show the type of high quality person you are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last year, I had to cancel my portion of a cruise 2 days before, because my father passed away.

My friend went on it by herself & Carnival did not charge her anything extra.

Fortunately, I had insurance to cover my portion.

You are lucky! I had a friend cancel a week before our cruise because her DH had a heart attack. She got the taxes back. I was charged the single supplement. Thankfully, we both had the Carnival insurance. She was covered because her cancellation was for a covered reason and she got all her money back from the insurance company. I was reimbursed by the insurance company for the single supplement I had to pay. We filed our claims before I sailed and had the money back a few days after I got home from the cruise.