Should we cruise Carnival?

carlandlyn

Carnival ships are beautiful! Just check out the legend on you tube.

Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder. [emoji6]

"Beautiful" and "Carnival ships" are not words that I would normally put in the same sentence. I don't think that, when Carnival asked Joe Farcus to commission the design of their interiors, had beauty in mind, but more on making a bold, impacting statement. And as most Carnival cruisers know, the decor on most Carnival ships (except for the newest, NON-Farcus era ones) do!

I don't doubt that there are people out there who genuinely find the decor on Carnival attractive, but the consensus seems to be a different one. One that includes words like "flashy", "stuck in a warp zone", "old Vegas", "back to the 90's", "acid trip", etc. [emoji6]

Edited by Tapi

Carnival ships are beautiful! I am not crazy about the dining room or buffet but with the money we save we eat at the fabulous steakhouse. Also the other free choices of food are wonderful. The pizza is amazing not burnt. I travel all over the US and stay in beautiful resorts and Carnival does not appear cheap and trashy. The other boats may be more upscale but they also cost more. That doesn't make carnival ships trashy because they are gorgeous. Just check out the legend on you tube.

Prime steakhouse was the most amazing meal Ive had on any ship and probably one of the top 5 meals ever. The pizza was great. I actually like a little black on the crust. That isnt burnt, thats just the way thin crust pizza in a real pizza over is cooked. The high temps do that to the crust before the toppings are done.

I too happen to think that some Carnival ships are beautiful in their own way. Im not a big fan of what Ive seen of the Fantasy class ships but I also realize how old they are and Im not one to let decor of a cruise ship be a deal breaker. Id rather be on a ship that has "strange" looking decor and good service than a beautiful ship with mediocre to terrible service. Freedom of the Seas is beautiful. The service and food didnt even come close to matching Magic though

Edited by ryano

I'm OK with Walmart of the seas, as I do most of my shopping at Walmart and with a family of 4 kids, it is difficult to afford much else. We think that travelling is important and we even take the kids out of school to travel when it is affordable. (Although we will probably have to reduce this once they reach high school).

We have done one Carnival Cruise and we are booked on another next Winter. We thought that Carnival was absolutely amazing. We are paying $110CAD per person perday (including gratuities) for our 7 day cruise next year.

If 30% of this is going for feeding us, we could not eat at McDonalds/Subway/ Chineese Buffets and Golden Corral for this price and I feel that we are getting much better food then these places (our normal travelling food stops)

The accommodations are much better than the motel6 super8 and similar hotels that we stay at when travelling, so we are happy here. And if another 30% is for accommodations, then this is a little less expensive then these options as well.

And the remaining 40% for moving the ship and entertainment. I think it is well worth it. Therefore I think that Carnival is an ideal cruise line and meets our expectations.

So as for value for money - Carnival can use the same slogan as Walmart - "Save Money - Live Better"

Edited by joeyjpaul

Prime steakhouse was the most amazing meal Ive had on any ship and probably one of the top 5 meals ever.

The more cruise lines that I sail on, the more I realize how underrated Carnival is in this department. Like you say, I've found our experience on Carnival's steakhouses to be far superior to anything that I've ever encountered on any cruise line (the closest would be the Pinnacle Grill on Holland America. But they are considered a premium cruise line).

MDR and buffet cuisine could improve some, but once I consider the prices that I normally pay for a Carnival cruise, I can't really complain!

I will agree that Royal and Carnival are vastly different cruise lines, even though some people insist that they are more alike than different.

Im one that insists they are more alike than different. Now with the American Table menu, their menus even resemble each other closer.

The only place, IMHO, that Royal excels over Carnival in is in the design of their ships and their pool areas. Pretty much everything else is equal or better on Carnival (at least on Magic anyway) to me except maybe the production entertainment. I didnt go to shows on Magic. Royal Caribbean really use to be something special when we started cruising just several years ago. Now, not so much. The increased prices on everything, noticeable cutbacks in staff and other areas, gimmicky "sales" and their uncaring attitude when things happen have been a real turn off to me as of late. Just my thoughts though.

Edited by ryano

Thank you everyone for your quick response. I know that everyone has a different opinion on these types of things, and I do appreciate the responses. From what I have seen, and from what people have commented on in the past, you do get what you pay for, and each cruise company has its own 'flavour'.

I expect that we will give Carnival a try, and sample what they have to offer, but I wont be expecting them to be a 'Royal Caribbean' or a 'Celebrity', but doesn't mean we wont expect to enjoy ourselves.

Again, thanks for the input.

:rolleyes::)

Thank you everyone for your quick response. I know that everyone has a different opinion on these types of things, and I do appreciate the responses. From what I have seen, and from what people have commented on in the past, you do get what you pay for, and each cruise company has its own 'flavour'.

I expect that we will give Carnival a try, and sample what they have to offer, but I wont be expecting them to be a 'Royal Caribbean' or a 'Celebrity', but doesn't mean we wont expect to enjoy ourselves.

You should give them a try. There's nothing wrong with Carnival really. It's not going to be the same experience as you had on Celebrity, nor Royal probably (always depends on which ships you sail on though). But that's fine. If every ship and line were the same, it would get boring to some degree. It's not going to have quite all the bells and whistles of the newest Royal ships, it's not going to be quite as "fancy" (for lack of a better word) then Celebrity (maybe "striking" is better), but if you go on with an open mind, you'll find you have a good time.

The food is pretty good, basically even to what you find in a MDR of RCL (I think Celebrity is a bit better in that department). There are plenty of things to do. Their entertainment shows are just ok, but I find there is more things like trivia on Carnival than other lines. So you won't be bored. The pools are small, so if you want to swim don't expect much, but there are still hot tubs, places to relax, etc.

Really though, you won't know what you like/dislike about it until you try it.

If you have enough hesitation on trying Carnival to ask here, then selecting a short cruise may be the best way to give it a try. You won't be committed to a long voyage if you find the line is not for you.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here and propose that the short cruises (e.g., 3- and 4-nights) are not the best way to try out a new line. They're generally on the lines' older, smaller ships and the crowd is definitely different. I've done five 3-night cruises (Miami to the Bahamas) on the Majesty of the Seas and, while I enjoyed each one, it's not really fair to judge all of RCI based on one 3-night cruise on the Majesty. (Just like it's probably not fair to judge all of RCI based on a cruise on an Oasis class ship.)

I'd say pick a 7-night on one of the medium-sized ships on a line, preferably one that's been refreshed fairly recently and go during a time when you know it won't be unusually crowded and/or filled with kids (i.e., avoid holidays, Spring Break and, except for the longer cruises, the summer). I think that's the best way to get a real sense of what a typical cruise on a certain line would be like.

I believe the time of year you cruise is really going to make the biggest difference. Spring break and summer are definitely going to have a lot more kids and younger families than other times of the year. I've not been on the ships you're thinking of so can't comment on them, but if you cruise on a ship with adult areas (Serenity) I think you'll be able to find it more peaceful.

The pools are not always crowded, it just depends on which one you go to and what time of day. Sea days are more so of course. We tend to like the hot tubs better, and will find the less crowded ones usually.

We love Carnival, we are in our mid 40's with (barely) grown children now. I think Carnival has something for everyone. You should just try it and see. I'm trying to convince my hubby to try a different line just to see, but he doesn't like change very well.

Make sure to read trip reports on the ships you're thinking of to get a feel for it.

We have cruised on the Spirit a dozen times and loved it each time. Going on the Legend for the 1st time in August. Meals are good to great the entertainment is good to great and varied. I think you will have a wonderful time. Carnival takes a bad rap in my opinion as the Walmart of the seas. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Enjoy.

One factor no one has mentioned is loyalty programs. If you are at all thinking of building up points for the benefits, stick with Royal Caribbean. Their program far exceeds anything Carnival has to offer.

We are in our late 40's and have cruised Carnival and RCCL. Overall we prefer Carnival. There are no huge differences between the 2 so you dont need to worry that it is going to be a big departure from what you are used to. :)

We are looking to our next cruise out of Oz, and have already been with Royal Caribbean (Radiance and Voyager) and Celebrity (Solstice) Cruises. We are now looking at Carnival Legend or Carnival Spirit for a short cruise around a couple of South Pacific Islands.

We are both in our early 50s' and just want a quiet relaxing time (reading, swimming, a good show, etc), a balcony, and good company.

For those seasoned travellers, how does Carnival rate against our previous cruises?

Which is the better ship between Carnival Spirit and Legend?

I know these are very subjective questions, but any feedback will be greatly appreciated.:)

We are also in our late 40's and early 50's. Have cruised many times with other cruise lines, mainly with Royal. We have cruised the last two with Carnival for different itineraries.

We find Carnival more casual and to our surprise, we enjoyed only dressing up one night on our 8 and then 11 night cruise. The service was great and the Serenity deck was awesome -- Royal has recently not been enforcing the adults only rule. Carnival enforced it and it was a quiet area for us to sun and read. We enjoyed the caribbean steel drum live music by the pool.

We thought the food was not as good or was hit or miss and some of the shows were cheesy and amateurish in some respects compared to the Broadway hits we have seen on Royal. We did however, enjoy the Comedy club with comics we already were familiar with and the piano bar.

Try it and see if you like it - no cruise is bad.

Edited by nednrom

We felt that Royal had a smaller room than Carnival, the food the same and no better and the entertainment just as cheesy as Carnival. So I'm not really understanding your comment about not expecting them to be Royal Caribbean. As fas as I'm concerned that's a good thing, certainly not a slam to Carnival.

We felt that Royal had a smaller room than Carnival, the food the same and no better and the entertainment just as cheesy as Carnival. So I'm not really understanding your comment about not expecting them to be Royal Caribbean. As fas as I'm concerned that's a good thing, certainly not a slam to Carnival.

That's probably because you were on the Jewel 5 years ago. The entertainment on Freedom Class and newer blows away Carnival. People tend to paint with broad strokes on these boards. Anything older than RCI Freedom has the same quality entertainment as Carnival.

Thanks again everyone. All comments are valid and are helping us decide whether to give another company a try. For us it all about the cruising experience, and each company is different, catering for different tastes and budgets. It just nice to get informed feedback, cheers.

Carl and Lynn:)

There are no huge differences between the 2 so you dont need to worry that it is going to be a big departure from what you are used to

We find HUGE differences between Carnival and Royal, from the moment when we arrive at the port. Check in process, ship size and layout, stateroom category variety and size, loyalty programs, suite perks, onboard technology, number and variety of dining venues, room service selection, buffet layout, quality and professionalism of entertainment, regions of the world sailed to, children's programs, and overall ambiance and decor, are just some of the things that come to mind where we find Carnival and Royal to be very different.

Edited by Tapi

We find HUGE differences between Carnival and Royal, from the moment when we arrive at the port. Check in process, ship size and layout, stateroom category variety and size, loyalty programs, suite perks, onboard technology, number and variety of dining venues, room service selection, buffet layout, quality and professionalism of entertainment, regions of the world sailed to, children's programs, and overall ambiance and decor, are just some of the things that come to mind where we find Carnival and Royal to be very different.

The OP is Australian, and wanting to sail out of Australia, so the check in process won't be any different to what they have previously experienced sailing out of Australia.

They are in their 50's so the children's programs are probably not high on their list of concerns either.

I never said they were identical, but that the differences weren't huge, and I stand by that.

I 100% agree with you. I think CCL and RCI are very different. In fact, I think they're so different, I always find myself scratching my head how some folks on this board get so wrapped up in the CCL/RCI thing (one in particular). To me, it's the differences that attract me. I don't want sameness in the cruise industry.

I'm OK with Walmart of the seas, as I do most of my shopping at Walmart and with a family of 4 kids, it is difficult to afford much else. We think that travelling is important and we even take the kids out of school to travel when it is affordable. (Although we will probably have to reduce this once they reach high school).

We have done one Carnival Cruise and we are booked on another next Winter. We thought that Carnival was absolutely amazing. We are paying $110CAD per person perday (including gratuities) for our 7 day cruise next year.

If 30% of this is going for feeding us, we could not eat at McDonalds/Subway/ Chineese Buffets and Golden Corral for this price and I feel that we are getting much better food then these places (our normal travelling food stops)

The accommodations are much better than the motel6 super8 and similar hotels that we stay at when travelling, so we are happy here. And if another 30% is for accommodations, then this is a little less expensive then these options as well.

And the remaining 40% for moving the ship and entertainment. I think it is well worth it. Therefore I think that Carnival is an ideal cruise line and meets our expectations.

So as for value for money - Carnival can use the same slogan as Walmart - "Save Money - Live Better"

I really feel you should try Norwegian Has a lot of kids sail free great entertainment low prices etc etc.:)

Is this meant to be a sarcastic answer? Low prices? They have become the most nickel and dimming line under FDR.
No nickel and dimming. Just don't order room service and I think they don't. Great entertainment great food. lots of good free restaurants. I used to cruise Royal Now only Norwegian Just as nice more to do and no Snob factor. :)