Drink package - Check my math

So a premium is being offered for my cruise that is $47/day (the phantom 20 percent discount rate) plus gratuity. The total charge for our 7 night sailing on the Allure is $388 and change. I backed out the soda part of the package on this since i'd be getting that regardless, so the total alcohol part of the package is $322. If I divide that by 7 nights, I get $46/day. I will never have fewer than 3 glasses of wine in a day and often will have those 3 plus another cocktail or two - especially on port days. Let's imagine that the least amount drinking would be 3 glasses of wine at $13/per - I will always choose the higher cost wines and will likely choose those that are over $13 regularly. But if I get credit for $13 per and that's 3 a night at $39 plus 18% tip equals $46.02 so it should be a no brainer to get the premium package in this scenario. Right? With three seas days and a day in Nassau that we will spend on the ship, that's four days that will more likely include an additional 2 or more drinks. So I can't imagine why getting the package would be bad for me in any way.

So a premium is being offered for my cruise that is $47/day (the phantom 20 percent discount rate) plus gratuity. The total charge for our 7 night sailing on the Allure is $388 and change. I backed out the soda part of the package on this since i'd be getting that regardless, so the total alcohol part of the package is $322. If I divide that by 7 nights, I get $46/day. I will never have fewer than 3 glasses of wine in a day and often will have those 3 plus another cocktail or two - especially on port days. Let's imagine that the least amount drinking would be 3 glasses of wine at $13/per - I will always choose the higher cost wines and will likely choose those that are over $13 regularly. But if I get credit for $13 per and that's 3 a night at $39 plus 18% tip equals $46.02 so it should be a no brainer to get the premium package in this scenario. Right? With three seas days and a day in Nassau that we will spend on the ship, that's four days that will more likely include an additional 2 or more drinks. So I can't imagine why getting the package would be bad for me in any way.

what do you mean you backed out the soda part. It's included in the Premium Package, you can't pick and choose parts of the package. Is your cruise 4 nights or 7 nights, you made your math too complicated. Simply put, $47 per day plus the 18% gratuity makes it $55.46 per day. I found most of the wines were priced either at $8-12 or $14 and over and your limit is wine up to $12 per glass. Drinks are around $11-14 (I'm including the gratuity) so $36 for wine (minimum) and $20 for drinks and you basically break even. Like you said, at least 3 glasses of wine and 2 cocktails and you break even on pre-buying your package. So I'd buy it, knowing it's paying me on those days I'd have more than 2 cocktails and 3 glasses of wine.

Math makes total sense to me but is that for Premium or Ultimate? I thought the Ultimate is discounted to $47 plus gratuities right now for my Anthem cruise.

We had just looked at it too since we get the Replenish package, so we were trying to decide it either of us would drink about $30 in alcohol each day and based on our receipts from our recent Oasis cruise, the answer was no. So, we are going replenish and then just paying for our alcohol as we go.

Get the package.

what do you mean you backed out the soda part. It's included in the Premium Package, you can't pick and choose parts of the package.

They subtracted what Replenishment would have been. Because no matter what she's getting at least that.

"...$388 and change. I backed out the soda part of the package on this since i'd be getting that regardless, so the total alcohol part of the package is $322."

I agree - get the package. We're going in August on the Oasis and I purchased it for all of us. I may not drink 5+ drinks per day, but I'd like to be able to try some new drinks. With a drink package, if I don't like it, I won't feel too bad to get rid of it and get another of something else.

I agree - get the package. We're going in August on the Oasis and I purchased it for all of us. I may not drink 5+ drinks per day, but I'd like to be able to try some new drinks. With a drink package, if I don't like it, I won't feel too bad to get rid of it and get another of something else.

I feel the same^^^^GET THE PACKAGE

Math makes total sense to me but is that for Premium or Ultimate? I thought the Ultimate is discounted to $47 plus gratuities right now for my Anthem cruise.

We had just looked at it too since we get the Replenish package, so we were trying to decide it either of us would drink about $30 in alcohol each day and based on our receipts from our recent Oasis cruise, the answer was no. So, we are going replenish and then just paying for our alcohol as we go.

Right now for our liberty sailing next month:

Ultimate: 53/day

Premium: 47/day

Select: 36/day

Replenish: 19/day

Refresh: 8/day

Right now for our liberty sailing next month:

Ultimate: 53/day

Select: 36/day

Replenish: 19/day

Refresh: 8/day

Hey, I can kind of do this. Just bought the Premium Package for the Harmony crossing coming up in Oct. Below is what I paid plus Royal's crazy service charge...

Premium: 39/day

Going on the Freedom Jul 10. Was thinking of buying another Premium Package for that one before we board...

What's up with that? Haven't been following the drink package threads that much. Does the number of days per cruise (Harmony: 13 - Freedom: 7) have anything to do with the price?

Tim

I like paying ahead of time so that I'm not stuck with a big bill at the end and always feel that I get my money's worth with the premium package. I drink 2-3 bottles of water and normally 3-4 drinks per day, so it works out just fine :).

They subtracted what Replenishment would have been. Because no matter what she's getting at least that.

"...$388 and change. I backed out the soda part of the package on this since i'd be getting that regardless, so the total alcohol part of the package is $322."

exactly. The soda part doesn't come into play in figuring out if the alcohol part is worth it. And I know it's not clear from my screen name but I'm a he. ;)

I like paying ahead of time so that I'm not stuck with a big bill at the end and always feel that I get my money's worth with the premium package. I drink 2-3 bottles of water and normally 3-4 drinks per day, so it works out just fine :).

Thanks to all for your validation! And I completely forgot about the water part of it - I'm a 4+ bottles of water a day so that helps the justification for sure!

Absolutely get the package. It is so worth it.

3 drinks can put you over if you add on tip. I honestly lost count most days how many I had, but with that hot sun by the pool the drinks go down rather easy. I know DH had a whopping 20 drink day on one sea day...needless to say the next day was slow moving ;).

I am not sure of your math.. the $47 (44, 39 or??? ) does not include gratuity. Just be sure to also calculate that in... but with 4 waters, 3 wines, and a few random cocktails you will be good to go.

The 47 plus gratuity for a 7 night cruise comes to $388 when I put it in my basket. When i back out the soda package cost because it doesn't come into play whether the package is worth it for me for wine/alcohol and water bottles - the weekly total is $322 and divides out to $46 total per day including gratuity. 3 wines at 13 each comes to 39 plus gratuity or $46. So any additional cocktails and bottles of water become "freebies" on this package!

And I realize that you don't "back out" the soda package - like you have to pay for it no matter what. But in my opinion the soda package "is what it is" and doesn't come into play regarding is the 'alcoholic drink' package worth it. I think those who use the 5-6 drinks per day are flawed in their math because they don't take into account that the soda package consumes $8 per day plus gratuity of that full package price. But maybe that's just me.

I never look at the 18% as a factor as I am paying that no matter what. Sorta like "backing out" the soda factor.

However that being said, if I get the PP at $44 per day then I am only paying 18% on $44 no matter how much I drink.

Nice to see a user name that I recognize (although from another www site.) I see you are also "jumping ship". :D We are like you, and we decided to go ahead with the package. It makes sense for us. To be honest, I also like the fact that I can pre-pay it, so less sticker shock on that final bill.

Nice to see a user name that I recognize (although from another www site.) I see you are also "jumping ship". :D We are like you, and we decided to go ahead with the package. It makes sense for us. To be honest, I also like the fact that I can pre-pay it, so less sticker shock on that final bill.

Hmmm. trying to figure out who you are....don't remember that screen name. But your cruise history sure matches up with ours!

The 47 plus gratuity for a 7 night cruise comes to $388 when I put it in my basket. When i back out the soda package cost because it doesn't come into play whether the package is worth it for me for wine/alcohol and water bottles - the weekly total is $322 and divides out to $46 total per day including gratuity. 3 wines at 13 each comes to 39 plus gratuity or $46. So any additional cocktails and bottles of water become "freebies" on this package!

And I realize that you don't "back out" the soda package - like you have to pay for it no matter what. But in my opinion the soda package "is what it is" and doesn't come into play regarding is the 'alcoholic drink' package worth it. I think those who use the 5-6 drinks per day are flawed in their math because they don't take into account that the soda package consumes $8 per day plus gratuity of that full package price. But maybe that's just me.

6 Drinks:

$6.5 (beer)

$6.5 (beer)

$11 (cocktail)

$11 (cocktail)

$4 (Water/Soda)

$4 (Water/Soda)

+ 18%

$50.74

Or

5 Drinks:

$6.5 (beer)

$6.5 (beer)

$11 (cocktail)

$11 (cocktail)

$9 (Wine)

+ 18%

$51.92

I don't think I've ever got soda or water ONCE when I had the packages. My usage is like

$6.5 (beer)

$6.5 (beer)

$6.5 (beer)

$6.5 (beer)

$11 (cocktail)

$11 (cocktail)

$11 (cocktail)

$11 (cocktail)

+ 18%

$82.6

they don't take into account that the soda package consumes $8 per day plus gratuity of that full package price. But maybe that's just me.

Good point I never looked at it that way. However, since it's included there ain't much you can do but factor the entire cost into your per drink cost to figure out if it's worth it or not.

You must be an accountant?