Renting of Cars

We will be traveling from LA to Hawaii on the Serena on Jan 4 2017 to Hawaii and then on to FP. There will be 4 of us traveling together and are wondering if anyone has rented cars once in port or thru a TA before the trip. Also the same in FP. Is renting a car better or would it be better to higher a local tourist guide.

We will be traveling from LA to Hawaii on the Serena on Jan 4 2017 to Hawaii and then on to FP. There will be 4 of us traveling together and are wondering if anyone has rented cars once in port or thru a TA before the trip. Also the same in FP. Is renting a car better or would it be better to higher a local tourist guide.

Hawaii I would not think a problem with renting a car. FP not so sure. We hired a local guide and driver and thought that was the way to go and it was for us. Rented a car in St. Maarten this Feb. from Avis and it was perfect. Just a question of your comfort level.

If you haven't done so already, check the Cruise Critic Hawaii Message Board for quite a bit of advice about car rental in Hawaii.

Well, it would help to know what ports you'll be in in FP. If you stop in Moorea, for instance, that's a good place to rent a car, although there are plenty of great excursions to take as well. In Bora Bora it's hardly worth renting a car, you probably want to get out onto the lagoon and do something water-oriented.

On a cruise in October 2014 we rented a car for the day in Hilo, Honolulu and Nawiliwili with no problem. At all three ports we used National since I had a couple of free days owing, and they had a shuttle to and from the port.

January is the high season, so I would strongly recommend you reserve in advance. In our case all the available cars were completely booked a while before we arrived.

Well, it would help to know what ports you'll be in in FP. If you stop in Moorea, for instance, that's a good place to rent a car, although there are plenty of great excursions to take as well. In Bora Bora it's hardly worth renting a car, you probably want to get out onto the lagoon and do something water-oriented.

First I have visited all the ports via ship, Second your on the same cruise, Third I lived in Hawaii for many years.

On Kauai....rent a car you can easily tour the 1 mAIN ROAD I am leading a group if you want to tag along your welcome I use Budget.

On Oahu/ Honolulu... Id take a taxi to the best sights..10 min distant. Missouri/Arizona/sub Museum/pearl harbor. Traffic is as bad or worse than LA, freeways, stop and go... then there is parking. Ha!! Downtown vest seen from a airplane or ship. a forest of highrise shopping malls

on Maui, Rent a car, lots of lovely drives like to Hana I used Dollar close to pier.

On Hawaii/Hilo...rent a car.. Use Harper, they are best and closest to pier. Your welcome to join a group I am leading and tag along

On Marquasea.... there are are no rentals, or roads really no gas, no nuthin but it looks pretty... here you walk

Bora Bora... ... dont waste your time there is only 22 miles of road...ALL the attractions are oi the water....take a tour... Jet ski is best or Take LE Truck around the island.... their public transport

Moorea... Rent a car, its a large island with a very simple road system you can rent scooters too.

Tahiti......Rent or Taxi its a very congested traffic place, not very attractive...

On all the other ports getting a rental car....waste of time take a tour because there aint no rental cars really or roads.

Book direct in line..... dont bother with an agent.. right now I made my reservations there are plenty of cars

See my post on the roll call

I love this itinerary on Sirena.

Hawaii is the perfect place for car rentals. A cursory review of CC or trip advisor will be chocked full of ideas to how to explore. A possible exception is Oahu if you want to go to Pearl Harbor as local tour agencies control a lot of the tickets. Some of the tours leave very early in the morning, depending on your port times this may or may not work.

We used Home of the Brave Tours, their program is phenomenal and they take you to Pearl Harbor and several other military installations They do some work for cruise lines. We booked them on a land trip.

We have been to Hawaii a number of times and always find something new to see and do via car rental.

From Kauai drive to the north shore.

From Maui take the road to Hana or drive up Haleaukala if it is a clear day.

From Hilo drive to the national park to see the craters and take the scenic drives from the visitor center.

From Kona pick one direction, north or south and sightsee. The BI is huge with many great drive opportunities.

FP is a different situation.

From Moorea book a tour with Francky Frank, you need a 4by4 to get up to the famous lookout points. I would not rent a car here. He is very reasonably priced and tons of fun. You book as individuals.

From Bora Bora check your roll call to see if anyone has booked the famous water tour with Patrick by motorized outrigger canoe. His 3/4 tour includes a fab lunch on a Motu.

I love this itinerary on Sirena.

Hawaii is the perfect place for car rentals. A cursory review of CC or trip advisor will be chocked full of ideas to how to explore. A possible exception is Oahu if you want to go to Pearl Harbor as local tour agencies control a lot of the tickets. Some of the tours leave very early in the morning, depending on your port times this may or may not work.

We used Home of the Brave Tours, their program is phenomenal and they take you to Pearl Harbor and several other military installations They do some work for cruise lines. We booked them on a land trip.

We have been to Hawaii a number of times and always find something new to see and do via car rental.

From Kauai drive to the north shore.

From Maui take the road to Hana or drive up Haleaukala if it is a clear day.

From Hilo drive to the national park to see the craters and take the scenic drives from the visitor center.

From Kona pick one direction, north or south and sightsee. The BI is huge with many great drive opportunities.

FP is a different situation.

From Moorea book a tour with Francky Frank, you need a 4by4 to get up to the famous lookout points. I would not rent a car here. He is very reasonably priced and tons of fun. You book as individuals.

From Bora Bora check your roll call to see if anyone has booked the famous water tour with Patrick by motorized outrigger canoe. His 3/4 tour includes a fab lunch on a Motu.

On Kauai the best drill is to head to the airport , get a car, head south to Waimea Canyon, then back track through Poipu, then up to the North shore, turn around and drive back to the airport ..its about 6 hrs

On Hilo, the best it to get as fast as possible to get a car, drive direct to Volcanoes Np getting there by 9 30 going to the steam vents in the cool morning, turn and go back to the Visitor center, 10:30 is a ranger talk on the volcano, when finished go in and see the 3 movies the last at 11:30 on Kiluea Iki eruption... By 12 head to Jagger Museum and see Haleumaumau active crater.. Now drive down chain On craters to see the fissure eruptions and massive Mana Ulu eruption... turn aroud ad drive back to Kiluea Iki crater... take a quick look at Thurston Lava tube... now head back to Hilo by 1... drive north through the town 1 hour from Park to Akaka falls...( 400 ft) and rain forest..... drive back to Hilo and detour through the 9 mile scenic d rive and botanic gardens... back to the ship...by 3 pm thats the best possible.

The ship wont stop at Kona

See ya

We rented a car on Papeete and it worked out very well. Didn't find the traffic at all bad once you were out of Papeete. And, we found it beautiful! A lot of people say the island of Tahiti isn't pretty but we didn't find that true at all. Papeete is crowded and just a city - not that pretty - but the rest of the island was gorgeous. We kept the car for 3 days and it was well worth it.