Short-timers

ano

We've cruised for years, and always reserved them 9 - 12 months out, but we are now approaching that retirement time with more open availability. Having watched cruise prices for years, I know prices can in fact drop pretty fast for last minute reservations on some cruises with added flexibility. So any of those short-timers out there, can you share any strategies on how to best capture these?

We have cruised a bit, so I'm looking forward to the "spontaneous" nature of this new world. About how far in advance should we start looking? We know airfares goes up when cruise prices are dropping. When is the "sweet spot" between these two? I have seen how the lowest cruise prices have the highest airfares basically cancelling out the savings. No cruise port nearby, so a plane is almost always involved.

Edited by ano

Our experience on Princess--about 50-60 days out. We got really great cruise pricing and could still get EZAir pricing for flights (at half of the going rate at on line sites).

Do the EZAir prices change as a cruise gets closer or is there a cut-off date on the EZAir fares?

If booking a block of caribbean cruises out of Miami or Fort Lauderdale, we have booked air flights(covering 16 to 28 days) that allow for 20-30+ potential cruises on RCL, Celebrity, Princess. Then we have waited until the last couple weeks prior and booked various cruises at last minute cheap rates. Have only had to fill in between two cruises with a hotel once. Changing to a different line or transportation between ports are other complications.

Edited by neverbeenhere

Is the drop in cruise prices offset by an increase in airfare prices as you get closer to the date?

If the flight is long like Europe, I've seen the airfare increase more than cancel the cruise savings. Maybe its less for a US cruise.

Do the EZAir prices change as a cruise gets closer or is there a cut-off date on the EZAir fares?

EZ air negotiates prices with the airlines which, as far as I can tell, are fairly stable until the 45 day point or until they sell a certain number of seats on a given airline. For example, we booked a Delta flight on EZ Air several months ago. The American Airline flights are still the same price as the first time I looked, but the Delta flights are no longer available thru EZ Air at any price! Princess does not actually pay the airline and buy the ticket until 45 days before the flight which is how they are able to offer the passenger the ability to grab a lower price should one become available. On US domestic flights, I haven't seen rates go up until about 30 days before the flight date. On European flights, I've seen increases sometimes starting about 60 days out, other times not increasing at all--perhaps related to the time of year and how full the flights are.

There are currently some good "last minute" deals on Alaska cruises...but the air is so high that I won't consider doing one.

I watch prices about twice daily... before I go to work, and when I get home from work.

When I see a cruise at the price that I am comfortable with, I jump in... sometimes its a few months in advance... sometimes its as short as 2 weeks.

Sometimes, the cruise I am watching sells out.... thats ok... I move onto another then ..... I go by price, not where I want to go.

Eventually, I will get to all the places I want to see.

Hope this helps you! :)

In a few more years we will be able to start taking more last minute cruises. We do it now and been able to snap up some pretty good deals from the thirty day out mark.

We have an added advantage in that the DW works for a major airline. We look to see what the bookings for flights are then try to match a cruise that will fit.

Take care,

Vinnie

So i keep looking at last minute cruises out of Barcelona(over the years). , I was starting to think it would be smart to book my airfare a year out and then just wait and hope the cruise comes down. Anybody tried this strategy?

So i keep looking at last minute cruises out of Barcelona(over the years). , I was starting to think it would be smart to book my airfare a year out and then just wait and hope the cruise comes down. Anybody tried this strategy?

No, but one year I booked a round trip Barcelona flight....and did both East and Westbound trans-Atlantic cruises with a single air booking. Of course, I also had a round trip from my home airport to Florida. And I got the cruises at rock bottom prices. It was actually one of my better bookings. (or should that be "two" of them?)

May be someone can give some good ideas on last minute cruises... i.e., real last minutes is after final payment for a bargin. We have only booked one, a TA that way many years ago.

We have been retired since l999, now only work part time, can take off any time pretty much. We have traveled 2-3 times a year: doing cruises, rotating between TAs, in Europe and the Mediterranean and Middle East, and local cruises Carribean, Alaska, Hawaii, Mexico and the east coast out of New York to Quebec City. Our home port is San Fancisco... a taxi ride from where we live near SFO airport. Besides cruises we have done independent trips to Europe and the middle east.

We prefer to book 1 year or more in advance cruises... watch for price drops, if one comes along request if ... we book directly with cruise lines. We do our own air as well. book directly with carrier, if we can use air lines miles especially for TA's which are open jaw airline tickets and can be expensive. Our issue is to get the travel experience we like within our budget vs a very good deal.

Have read that best time to purchase air for international is about 3 months out - domestic about 2 month or less... holiday periods change this. We usually travel off season, spring or fall, because we like this time better and generally book far in advance cruise, air, hotels. Hotels sometimes have price drops, you can request the price drop in advance, as long as not prepaid.

We buy insurance on an annual basis, to cover emergency medical and evacuation since we are seniors... don't try to cover actual travel expenses. Purchase thru Travel Guard business travel insurance. The value here is we have coverage for emergencies andcan book and cancel as we visit without concern for insurance costs.

On a recent cruise... folks who I meet on board talked about booking with a consolidator at the last minute for the best deals. We have not tried that... those doing it were taking very long cruises. the longest cruises we have done are TA's .. 18 days.

We do our own air as well. book directly with carrier, if we can use air lines miles especially for TA's which are open jaw airline tickets and can be expensive.

With EZAir, the open jaw TA flights are quite reasonable in price.

I guess if the cruise is in the U.S. Southwest is the way to go, because there is no charge to cancel or change a flight. So "guess" a time and hope for a cheap cruise then. The free luggage doesn't hurt cruisers either.

One other benefit of last-minute cruises, trip cancellation insurance isn't really needed because the timeframe is closer. When you book a year in advance, who knows what will happen in a year, but 1 month is more predictable. I recently bought insurance that let you pick only what you wanted, and trip cancellation insurance is 75% of the total cost.

As more and more big ships arrive, I think you will see better and better last minute deals. In Europe they built so many river cruise ships prices a great, because many are only half filled. But airfare to Europe is very high.

I also used to book a year in advance, but I'm starting to think there isn't much benefit to it anymore. Too long to wait. :D

My main issue with last minute bookings is the very limited range of cabins which are available. But if that is not a problem, go for it.:)

That is something you would know before you booked, so not a real big deal to me. I've booked way in advance and really researched the room, and still occasionally get a bad one, but at 70% off, it soothes the pain. :)

If you are a huge cabin selection person, last minute is not for you. I went on about 15 cruises before i even learned about the bigger balconies,more square footage, amazing view cabins, and it did not ruin my cruise one bit. I almost always choose guarantee anyway. I t seems to me the most amazing deals are 2 weeks out. They get soooo cheap for all the Florida cruises. Seems like Alaska cruises drop like that also.

Is the drop in cruise prices offset by an increase in airfare prices as you get closer to the date?

Sometimes. Especially for Alaska. If you wait until the last minute, you can get $399pp or $499pp fares but then the airfare prices are usually much higher than booking 10-11 months in advance.

You have to really do your homework to time it right. Watch the sailing you're interested in for quite awhile. Monitor the available cabins. If it looks like it's filling up, you're probably out of luck for lower fares. If it looks pretty open after final payment, it's likely they'll drop the price with the best pricing probably at about 3-6 weeks prior to the sail date.

Then, monitor your flight prices. Know what a "good" price is for your route. I've bought my air once months before booking my cruise before because I knew I was going no matter what, knew there was availability on the cruise, but didn't want to pay the higher airfare. Worked out great for me but it's really a gamble. All you can do is try to minimize your risk by doing lots of research.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario