Four Hours to Kill in the Port of Miami

Hello fellow cruisers,

We have approximately four hours between our arrival at the airport and our scheduled boarding time at the port (Oceania Insignia on July 1). We don't really want to drag our luggage around and visit the beach/downtown etc.

We aren't familiar with this port and wondered what services are there-like duty free shops, restaurants, or anything else that will help us kill a few hours. Is there a place to drop our bags?

I haven't been able to find anything through a google search so I thought I'd turn to the experts.

Advice?

Thanks.

Barbara

a cruise port is NOT like an airport

there is NOTHING at the port other than the check-in desks and the gangway . . .

drag your feet at the airport and then go to the port. If you arrive b4 noon expect to chill on some small uncomfortable chairs for a bit . . . if you are lucky .. you may be standing in line.

and the next time you go to an airport you'll BASK in the luxury!

***** what time to you arrive in Miami? You may not have as much time to kill as you think .... {and even if you do, 4 hours is NOTHING} ..... most ships will begin boarding at 11 or so, but may restrict access to rooms 'til after 1pm

this said .... stand by for the flood of posts saying fly in the day b4!

"experienced cruisers" fly in the day b4 to reduce risk of delayed flights . . . . I'm not saying this ... but others might/will . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ

Assuming that you have time to kill - as mentioned above it depends upon your arrival time into MIA and when you can board the ship (which is usually earlier than they publicize) -- I would head somewhere for a long breakfast and a couple of mimosas. :) The hotel inside the MIA airport, cleverly named the Miami Airport Hotel, should be willing to watch your bags while you dine, or shuttle to one of the nicer MIA airport hotels (Hilton? Do some homework) and tip them to watch your bags while you enjoy brunch. Then taxi to POM and check-in for your cruise.

And yes, you should be a smart cruiser and fly in at least one day before your cruise. ;) You never know when flight delays, weather, crew, or mechanical issues will affect your flight - you do not want to miss the ship! :eek:

Barbara, I am one who for year recommends arriving one day before your cruise because a significant flight delay or cancellation can restful in missing the ship.

It would be helpful if you can tell us what time your flight is scheduled to arrive to Miami Airport and whether or not you will have checked luggage.

Keith

Another person wanting to know what time you land.

Another person telling you to see if you can change your flight to the night before.

During the winter and spring, snow and ice in Charlotte, NYC area, Atlanta, Dallas can shut down flights all over the country. It only needs to happen in one airport area and flights are screwed all over.

Ditto for summer and fall thunderstorms.

And things happen that are not weather related.

- Such as the shooting outside Love Field Yesterday. Everyone had to go back through the security line as there was a breach.

- FAA computer glitches shutting down a portion or all of flights.

- Airline computer Glitch

- Security breach on the flight

- Lack of flight personnel

- Some other catastrophic event

- Aircraft Mechanical Issue.

Again, might be too late to change this flight but for those who read the boards I can't stress it enough to fly in a day or more before your cruise.

I have experienced many issues when I flew almost weekly for business.

Keith

Hello fellow cruisers,

We have approximately four hours between our arrival at the airport and our scheduled boarding time at the port (Oceania Insignia on July 1). We don't really want to drag our luggage around and visit the beach/downtown etc.

We aren't familiar with this port and wondered what services are there-like duty free shops, restaurants, or anything else that will help us kill a few hours. Is there a place to drop our bags?

I haven't been able to find anything through a google search so I thought I'd turn to the experts.

Advice?

Thanks.

Barbara

I would also recommend trying to arrive a day earlier than your embarkation day.

Unfortunately, 4 hours isn't really long enough to actually do anything much. You will spend some of it waiting for your bags to be unloaded (MIA is notoriously slow), and then you have the problem you've already identified: what to do with your bags.

Without the information about your arrival time and cruise departure time, the only thing I can think of that might be easy is to contact a Miami tour company and see if you can arrange a short tour of Miami.

Hello fellow cruisers,

Thanks to all for the advice. We arrive at 10a and our ship departs Miami at 7p. We've been told we can't embark until 3p. Odds are we'll be able to get on earlier and just not have access to our room till later.

Yes, I agree that arriving a day early is the way to go.

Just trying to find out if there was anything going at the port but it sounds like I should seek my amusement at the airport.

Barbara

Barbara, the reality is you can board at Noon. You will board at Terminal J.

I would pick up you luggage (if you are on time best case 10:30 AM) and then make your way to the port. You'll be there at 11:00 AM. Sit and relax and board at Noon.

Keith