Best deck for viewing Tracy Arm Fjord on Ruby Princess

caraluna34

Hello,

In a week's time myself and four other members of my family will be taking our first ever cruise We're doing the 7 day from Seattle aboard the Ruby Princess. I've found the info on these boards and the site to be invaluable and I really appreciate all the postings, articles, and reviews!

That said, I am wondering what the best deck is for viewing the Tracy Arm Fjord scenic cruise portion. We are on Emerald Deck close to the Promenade part, so I considered that an easy option. However, I couldn't find confirmation that we can access it from our staterooms/deck.

One member has mobility issues and will be walker or wheelchair dependent. Is there a better deck for her viewing ease? Also, any good deck places indoors to do viewing? Suggestions on times to get there for best seating?

Thank you so much for help!

Promenade deck is great for viewing glaciers. You can easily go forward and aft, and then from side to side from that deck.

I think a lower perspective is better. Everyone goes to the top decks.

For the WC bound person, anywhere on Promenade deck (7) will be good, although I think they might have a problem seeing over the railing all the way aft. For those more mobile, all the way forward on Emerald deck. It will be sheltered there, in case it is raining. But why worry about this now? You have a full sea day after you leave Seattle, and the afternoon after you leave Ketchikan to explore the ship and find out for yourself. EM

For the WC bound person, anywhere on Promenade deck (7) will be good, although I think they might have a problem seeing over the railing all the way aft. For those more mobile, all the way forward on Emerald deck. It will be sheltered there, in case it is raining. But why worry about this now? You have a full sea day after you leave Seattle, and the afternoon after you leave Ketchikan to explore the ship and find out for yourself. EM

Good point - for those in the wheel chair, going forward or aft may be difficult but side to side and length of ship will be great on Deck 7.

Deck 7 is covered but you can still get wet if too close to the railing.

I vaguely remember a few years ago there being on the top deck a section for those in wheelchairs. Please ask Passenger Service deck or Cruise Director staff before glacier day.

Edited by Coral

But why worry about this now? You have a full sea day after you leave Seattle, and the afternoon after you leave Ketchikan to explore the ship and find out for yourself. EM

The OP can provide his/her own perspective on this question if they choose; however, as someone who used to plan a lot of travel with a disabled companion, I note that I personally found it so much more relaxing to research and plan out details like this in advance than have to worry about it while on vacation, all the while fretting about whether and when we would actually find an appropriate accommodation for the activity in question. Internet forums (fora?) like this, and posters like you and Coral who have visited and can provide concrete details about a place, were *invaluable* to our vacation planning, and allowed us to travel to places with the confidence that we would both be able to enjoy ourselves. So heartfelt thanks to everyone who takes the time to chime in on threads like this.

Thank you so much for all the responses! Like limoncello07 wrote and others suggested, Im sure I will along with the more mobile members of my family explore, but I wanted to do as much research as possible and have as much info as possible for a plan. To me, it's easier as a total amateur to have an idea of what to do than try to figure it all out while I'm there.

There is access to the forward portion of the Promenade on Emerald deck. It is all the way forward in the hallway but there is a double set of doors and one has a significant step over threshold. Your relative would need to be able the use a walker. I though there were very nice views of Tracy Arm from that forward portion on Emerald deck.

We did Tracy Arm on the Golden and in addition to the forward portion of the Promenade deck we spent a lot of time in our Window Suite on Fiesta deck watching the scenery through our two large windows in warm comfort [emoji6]

The port side will be colder going into the Arm as it's on the shady side...of course this is true if it's sunny!

We liked the colder, port side as the sun really lit of our view and made some wonderful photos. The pictures on the starboard side can show less definition however, more lens flares, which I also like.

Photography aside, this info is good to know so your WC person can be at a comfortable temperature on either side.

See if you can get a lap blanket from MUTS for them.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, we were on the 6/19 Ruby cruise. We were not able to enter Tracy Arm due to ice floes (which I understand is the norm), so went to Endicott Arm instead. I felt like I was not getting the whole picture from the Promenade deck so we ventured to the front of deck 15. There are unmarked doors at the end of the hallway that lead to another door that brings you outside, a deck above the bridge. There is a threshold to step over once leaving the hallway and I believe there are 5 stairs to climb once you enter the deck, so that may not work for your relative. If you can get out there, you should have lots of room and a complete panorama with nothing blocking your view. Deck 16 looks out over this area and was 3-4 people deep, deck 15 had far fewer people, I think because it can be tricky to find. As far as the best time, our timeframe was from 5-9am, we got out to that deck about 6 and by 8:15 we had turned around and were headed out.