Leaving Ship Prior to Debarkation

Anyone have experience in leaving prior to debarkation. We are on the Hong Beijing cruise for March and are considering debarking a day before the cruise actually ends. We didn't think it made sense to drive back and forth into Beijing to just pack up and leave the following day. Not sure about special requirement if you leave the ship early and particularly how to make arrangements with customs. Thoughts would be appreciated.

The best resource for these questions would be with the appropriate dept of Regent. While I anticipate that leaving early will be possible, the rules and regulations of Chinese immigration authorities will need to be checked.

We've recently come off a cruise whose last port before embarkation was Victoria. We were speaking with a couple whose home is in Victoria, and they'd first been told that yes, they could disembark there, but they later found it was was not possible. They were very frustrated. It bothered them especially that they would not be permitted even to off-load their luggage to their family at the Victoria stop (which was a quite long port call) so that they wouldn't have to lug it from Vancouver. I believe that Regent flew them on a little plane back from the Vancouver disembarkation to Victoria. I don't know all the rules; just reporting the news.

We've recently come off a cruise whose last port before embarkation was Victoria. We were speaking with a couple whose home is in Victoria, and they'd first been told that yes, they could disembark there, but they later found it was was not possible. They were very frustrated. It bothered them especially that they would not be permitted even to off-load their luggage to their family at the Victoria stop (which was a quite long port call) so that they wouldn't have to lug it from Vancouver. I believe that Regent flew them on a little plane back from the Vancouver disembarkation to Victoria. I don't know all the rules; just reporting the news.

I suspect that the issue with Victoria/Vancouver was immigration. There may not have been facilities at the port in Victoria. I have heard of passengers embarking late and/or disembarking early.

Anyone have experience in leaving prior to debarkation. We are on the Hong Beijing cruise for March and are considering debarking a day before the cruise actually ends. We didn't think it made sense to drive back and forth into Beijing to just pack up and leave the following day. Not sure about special requirement if you leave the ship early and particularly how to make arrangements with customs. Thoughts would be appreciated.

Probably not a problem since the ship will be cleared on its first day in the port of Tianjin but, as others have advised, check with the Regent office

From a previous thread, I thought you were opting for the included 3-night post-cruise land program in Beijing............or did you change to the Hong Kong pre-cruise land program instead?

Do not miss out on a few days in and around Beijing; it is a fascinating city with many iconic sightseeing opportunities

If you would like a superb Chinese meal in convivial surroundings try the 'Black Sesame Kitchen' http://blacksesamekitchen.com/

When there is a problem, it is virtually always related to immigration and/or customs. If I am reading your posting correctly, you are talking about getting off a day earlier in the same port as is the debarkation port. If that is correct, you'll have cleared when you first came into port, so it shouldn't be a problem. But, as others have suggested, do have your TA check with Regent (or do so yourself if you don't have a TA) just to be sure.

I wouldn't know about disembarking early...have you ever seen those gouges by the gangway on Voyager? Those are my claw marks from when they had to drag me off the ship the last time we sailed her...in hindsight, it was somewhat embarrassing.

:D

If you give the ship a few days advance notice, pretty much you can debark whenever you want. Most customs and immigration issues are more a function of those agents in charge at the port of debarkation. If you have the proper visa and other documentation for entry into that Country, no one cares.

This is however an issue potentially when attempting to debark in a US port as the ship might run afoul of the "The Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886" which could result in the ship being fined ($300 PP) for a violation for those arcane rules. I don't think that any other countries have similair rules.

j

I wouldn't know about disembarking early...have you ever seen those gouges by the gangway on Voyager? Those are my claw marks from when they had to drag me off the ship the last time we sailed her...in hindsight, it was somewhat embarrassing.

:D

:eek: Haha, that's awesome!

Probably not a problem since the ship will be cleared on its first day in the port of Tianjin but, as others have advised, check with the Regent office

From a previous thread, I thought you were opting for the included 3-night post-cruise land program in Beijing............or did you change to the Hong Kong pre-cruise land program instead?

Do not miss out on a few days in and around Beijing; it is a fascinating city with many iconic sightseeing opportunities

If you would like a superb Chinese meal in convivial surroundings try the 'Black Sesame Kitchen' http://blacksesamekitchen.com/

We're doing the pre cruise in Hong Kong. We plan to leave the ship at a leisurely time on March 22. We'll spend the rest of the day on our own and book a 3 day tour for the balance of our stay. We have preliminary approval from Regent and I assume others will be asking as well.

We're doing the pre cruise in Hong Kong. We plan to leave the ship at a leisurely time on March 22. We'll spend the rest of the day on our own and book a 3 day tour for the balance of our stay. We have preliminary approval from Regent and I assume others will be asking as well.

Thanks for your post. You reminded us that we have left the ship more than once the night before disembarkation - it was never a problem. Whenever the ship overnights at the disembarkation port, we prefer to leave (flights permitting) and are well on our way when other passengers are disembarking the next day. The only thing we missed was putting luggage outside the door at 11:00 p.m. (not something we cared about missing).

Still think that people disembarking in Vancouver have a double problem because U.S. and Canadian immigration work in conjunction with each other. If you fly from Canada to the U.S., you will complete immigration in Canada and not in the U.S. For us this is a great thing!