Leaving things unattended

Medako

Is it pretty safe to leave your things unattended for short periods of time both on ship and on various excursions (for example, with a chair on the beach, or on the boat while with the sting rays)? I haven't read much about having to secure things like this, but I thought I would ask.

** we will probably carry cash, credit cards, sign & sail cards in our pockets. Mostly what would be unattended would be things like towels, books, etc.

That's what I was hoping for! Things like towels and flip flops if we want to do the waterside...Or books, sunscreen type things if we wanted to venture into the water on a beach day (all inclusive places are on our list rather than public beaches, in case that makes a difference). It's just my husband and myself and I would hate to feel lime we have to take turns experiencing things just to keep an eye on our things.

Maybe we just need to make some new friends ;)

I have left stuff in a boat or bus while on excursion and it was never bothered. I usually travel with a small water wallet for ID and cash or credit card, which I tend to keep on my person.

On the ship, if I'll only be gone for 5 minutes or less, I'll leave stuff on the lounger. Longer than that, I take it with me. If I have to find another lounger, no big deal. I don't settle near the main mid ship pool, I prefer quieter areas to relax. No one can ever claim I joined the chogs!

Edited by evandbob

You can leave your things unattended and nothing will happen most of the times. Me and my friend left our stuff unattended a lot on my first cruise to virgin islands and nothing ever happened to it. I would say its really safe on the excursions and the ship especially if it's just towels and flip flops, at worst someone moves it off the chair if they think you're saving it but that rarely happens too. Public beaches are trickier as there are more people there, but beach stuff should be safe for a while as you go in the water. But like any other thing in life, there is always a small chance you'll be the one to get your stuff stolen or messed with.

No one wants your towels or books or your flip flops!

Not sure why you'd think they'd be worth stealing??

On the ship you don't need credit cards at all so while you are out and about on board all you need is your sign n sail card, no cash or credit cards necessary.

On shore it would be the same everywhere on any beach in the world-don't leave anything valuable unless there's someone watching it.

Is it pretty safe to leave your things unattended for short periods of time both on ship and on various excursions (for example, with a chair on the beach, or on the boat while with the sting rays)? I haven't read much about having to secure things like this, but I thought I would ask.

** we will probably carry cash, credit cards, sign & sail cards in our pockets. Mostly what would be unattended would be things like towels, books, etc.

I dunno, in today's world I wouldn't leave anything unattended. There's waterproof devices you can get online to carry things such as CC, cash and cell phone. I've never had anything go missing but on Carnival ships - no way would I trust anyone.

Here's another thing that happened to us. We went on a private excursion in Hawaii. The guide took us to see turtles. Well, he went to get the van as we had a handicapped person with us. He got the van, went around to open the door and he had locked the keys in the ignition with the motor running!!! All of our things (except our SS and CC), were in the van. Fortunately he got a friend that was there at the turtle viewing to drive us back to the ship. We got our stuff back right before the ship was to leave! Needless to say, that was a lesson learned for us.:eek:

It is tricky since we tend to travel with a lot of camera equipment. When we are on an excursion we have felt safe leaving things on the boat while we snorkel or on the bus while at a stop. On public beaches we have left our stuff while we have gone in the water, but it is unsettling. The less crowded the beach, the safer we feel. One of us always keeps an eye on it, but honestly we would never be able to get there in time if someone took our stuff. When we want to snorkel we go in one at a time. Not as fun. One thing we have learned to travel with is a small padlock. There are scattered beaches with lockers. One is Folkestone in Barbados, they have a changing room with lockers if you bring your own lock you can lock up your stuff. They are rickety, but it's better than nothing. Can't remember other places but there have been a few over the years. A lock is small and light to carry.

I think it would be a huge money maker for someone to put up pay lockers on the beaches. Most of us would pay.

We also carry a waterproof bag for cc's cash etc.

No one wants your towels or books or your flip flops!Not sure why you'd think they'd be worth stealing??

On the ship you don't need credit cards at all so while you are out and about on board all you need is your sign n sail card, no cash or credit cards necessary.

On shore it would be the same everywhere on any beach in the world-don't leave anything valuable unless there's someone watching it.

Yeah - you would think that wouldn't you? I took our beach towel from our room with us on our excursion on Grand Turk (we rented a golf cart to ride around). We stopped at the little light house museum and parked there. It was blazing hot and the sun was shining down on the back seat I was sitting on. So, my DH said to leave the towel across the seat so it wouldn't be so hot to sit on when we returned. I was hesitant, but did it. (Everyone said - "who would take a Carnival beach towel?")

Well, we returned a whole hour (if that) later and towel was gone! No breeze that day so it sure didn't blow off (especially since I tucked it just in case). Well, you know those suckers we have to pay for if they disappear!

Moral of the story - don't leave behind anything that you don't want to have to replace if taken. You just never know!

No one wants your towels or books or your flip flops!

Not sure why you'd think they'd be worth stealing??

When we went to Mahogany Beach 2 years ago my $5 flip flops from Old Navy got stolen while we were snorkeling. Private Carnival Beach, so it was definitely someone from the ship.

I would say, just use common sense, and don't leave anything lying around that you don't mind getting taken, because people are weird and will just pick things up whether they are "of value" or not

No one wants your book (paperbacks are lighter and less desired!), clothes or stuff like that.

I've left my stuff on the beach while taking a dip, but I do keep an eye on it. Caribbean beaches are narrow and it's easy to see your stuff.

On excursion, on the boat or bus is fine.

We usually never have our phone but do bring a camera. Just put out of site in our beach bag. Tend to watch as we are in the water. So far no issues.

That said...We have been thinking about getting one of those beach bags with the retractable security chain. Supposedly quite tough to cut thru. Just lock to the beach chair. Then if someone wants your stuff that bad they have to carry the whole chair as well.

May give you a better chance to chase them down. LOL

I had a friend who left her three son's NIKE sandals at the pool in Grand Turk on Carnival Magic this winter, all THREE pairs were taken when she came back to her chairs after swimming with her kids. They had NO shoes to wear as those were the only beach shoes they had with them. She had to buy flip flops for the kids from the store. . They were $34 a pair.. but thought the same thing... no one wants used shoes...

Lesson learned.

We'll be packing a gym bag that we can put stuff in so they aren't left out in the open for anyone to see or grab.

We haven't had an issue, but I'm a worrier. In the past, I'd bring ziplock baggies and bury things in the sand. On our last cruise, I purchased a vacation vault from Home Depot. LOVED it! Not only did it protect our stuff, but it was easy to find our chairs because it's bright orange! :D