Neat Captain Kate story (developing . . .)

gjc1111

My folks are on the Summit right now and they will be on her again, with me and my family, in August.

Over the past few months my DS (13) has designed and built a cruise ship on Minecraft, which I'll admit, is rather impressive. So my mom got the idea in her head to send a note to Captain Kate once they got on board to do a little grandparent bragging with the thought that maybe my son could meet her when we are on board in August.

Well she sent the note when the got on board on Sunday and she just texted me that they received a personal note in reply from Captain Kate and are at Cafe al Bacio right now waiting to meet with her!

Looking forward to hearing about their conversation and maybe meeting her in August!

What a wonderful response from the Captain. Hopefully she will meet with your son and maybe even give him a 'behind the scenes tour'.

Keep us in touch!

She is leaving the end of June. Three months on, three months off.

Sorry, but she is not there in August.

She is leaving the end of June. Three months on, three months off.

Sorry, but she is not there in August.

Correct, she is on Summit until June 26 and then off for 12 weeks on vacation, returning mid-September. Unless reassigned to another ship.

Circling back to the original topic of this thread . . . just got a text from my mom about how nice the Captain (we'll leave it at that) is and she wants to Skype with my DS, presumably since she won't be able to meet with him in August!

My folks are on the Summit right now and they will be on her again, with me and my family, in August.

Over the past few months my DS (13) has designed and built a cruise ship on Minecraft, which I'll admit, is rather impressive. So my mom got the idea in her head to send a note to Captain Kate once they got on board to do a little grandparent bragging with the thought that maybe my son could meet her when we are on board in August.

Well she sent the note when the got on board on Sunday and she just texted me that they received a personal note in reply from Captain Kate and are at Cafe al Bacio right now waiting to meet with her!

Looking forward to hearing about their conversation and maybe meeting her in August!

That's very sweet! :)

When my now 28 year old son was around 12, he took his first cruise on Disney. He had always wanted to be an architect and frequently drew house plans on graphing paper. This before the computer was in our household and had all the available drafting programs.

So after that first cruise, my son started designing ships. He bought extra large graph paper and taped the ends together to form a larger length for his ship designs. :D Some of his designs were "way out there", but DH and I raved over each and every draft that he brought to us to inspect.. How were we to know that waterslides, bungee jumping, bowling alleys, double decker suites, etc. were to be included in the ship designs of the future. LOL :rolleyes:

For our second cruise, we returned to Disney. My son was about 14 by then. He had a chance to meet the Captain during a M&G and signing of Disney ship posters and models. My son mentioned to the Captain that he designed ships. :cool: They had a very nice conversation and DS told of some of his ideas. I am sure the Captain chuckled a few times over the ideas. We did get a bridge tour. I was hoping that might inspire DS to become a Captain or harbor pilot. My ideas, not his. ;) He did continue to draw some. Even started on the computer programs, but his life has taken a different direction. :)

Hope your son is able to meet with a Captain while on your cruise!

PS - Exciting news to be able to Skype with Captain Kate. She will be our Captain in October.

Edited by Iamthesea

Circling back to the original topic of this thread . . . just got a text from my mom about how nice the Captain (we'll leave it at that) is and she wants to Skype with my DS, presumably since she won't be able to meet with him in August!

That was so nice of her to arrange that -he must be very excited! Grandma had a great idea there and I'm glad she ran with it!

Absolutely! We sailed with her for two cruises b2b. She expressed that she prefers to be called Captain Kate, or just Captain. Her last name is McCue. If you want an inkling of what kind of person she is, check her out on Instagram. Just put in her full name and title. She is the best thing that has happened to Celebrity PR and I hope she stays on the Summit for a long, long time.

Jennie

Thanks, Jennie, I suspected as much!

Great outcome, I am sure your son will enjoy the 'conversation'. I would also suggest you speak with the Captains Club host on boarding and see if you can arrange a 'behind the scenes' tour for your son on your cruise. i am sure he would love it.

The Senior Staff are very personable. You can even find Captain Kate working in Café al Bacio once in awhile. She'll pitch in where help is needed if she notices.

Glad we'll be on again with her in October but I wish she'd stop those stupid cliché sayings after her reports from the bridge! Do they make anyone else roll their eyes and gag? :rolleyes: If she'd just say what she needs to say and be done with it, it would be SO much better.

"Glad we'll be on again with her in October but I wish she'd stop those stupid cliché sayings after her reports from the bridge! Do they make anyone else roll their eyes and gag? If she'd just say what she needs to say and be done with it, it would be SO much better."

We did moan at a few, like you do when you hear a pun but I have to say she is a breath of fresh air. She was all over the ship in April, greeting people as they left on excursions, photobombing folks right and left. I've never seem a more approachable or visible captain.

Sorry but - I totally loved her dry humor and looked forward to her Confucius quotes. To each their own. I can't wait to sail with her again in Nov if she is reassigned to the Summit.

I agree. Right before we sailed she came on the ship's address system and said as soon as she finds her purse with the keys, she would start the engines so we could get underway. :)

I agree. Right before we sailed she came on the ship's address system and said as soon as she finds her purse with the keys, she would start the engines so we could get underway. :)

Just choked on my coffee!

Yeah, she's said that one quite a lot. Over and over... :rolleyes:

So, what's your point? First time I've sailed with her, so I agree with many others and thought it was pretty funny. :cool:

We just got off the Summit on 6/12.

We were shocked and very impressed to see her helping to serve guests pastries in Café al Bacio.

Bet she is the first Captain to do so, but I am not sure.

wwb