Are multi-port usb chargers banned

25 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

To complicate things…..now that I have bought this, there will still be the issue that Apple devices like our IPads and watches don’t use a cord with a usb…the charging cord is USB-C on both ends.  
We were looking at cords that have a USB to USB-C bot not sure if it’s garbage.

Does anyone have one to recommend?

I have this one in my car. I need it for CarPlay. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08558LLWJ?ref=nb_sb_ss_w_as-reorder_k6_1_8&amp=&crid=2XA0LSO6QPVWR&amp=&sprefix=usb+a+to If you only need it for charging you can probably uses an Amazon brand  cable. 

16 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

USB cables connect to ports not plugs. Smartphones, iPads run on DC power. The chargers convert AC from the mains to the DC power that devices use. The prohibition against multiple AC outlets has nothing to do with the number of USB ports. USB ports don’t use AC. 

Maybe you can point me to the part of the announcement that says they are different. Who knows how RCI defines what is or isn't a plug?

Edited by Raxter54

3 hours ago, broberts said:

It's not impractical to replace existing outlet assemblies with ones that include a couple of USB-A and possibly USB-C outlets. USB ports do not require a lot of space.

Since a powered up phone with WiFi is almost essential onboard, it seems to me that cruise lines bear some responsibility. 

Until a retrofit, why can't the cruise line offer European adapters? 😀

Those USB ports have to be connected to a charger or hub somewhere that coverts AC to DC. That will take space.  

6 hours ago, RobInMN said:

Yes. Lots of people have brought many different devices in the past just fine.

This is a brand new change in the last 2-3 days. So any experience prior to this has no relevance on what people will experience now. We will have to wait and get feed back from people boarding from now on.

All we know is what the new wording says now. Nothing with multiple plugs will be allowed, whether it has a cord or not. We'll have to see exactly how it's being interpreted by security and how strictly it's enforced.

Well, we are boarding Sunday and I'm taking my euro adapter. I'll come back to the thread and let you know what happens.

5 minutes ago, Raxter54 said:

Maybe you can point me to the part of the announcement that says they are different. Who knows how RCI defines what is or isn't a plug?

They changed the wording on the prohibited items list. It says multi plug outlets. Some people want to overthink. USB ports are not plugs. 

• Extension Cords and Multi-Plug Outlets/ Power Strips
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Those USB ports have to be connected to a charger or hub somewhere that coverts AC to DC. That will take space.  

Not so. If they did they would not be USB ports and would likely destroy any electronic device that uses a USB cable to connect.

Not appropriate for a cruise ship but illustrates what I was talking abou: https://leviton.com/products/residential/usb-wall-outlet-chargers.

10 minutes ago, broberts said:

Not so. If they did they would not be USB ports and would likely destroy any electronic device that uses a USB cable to connect.

Not appropriate for a cruise ship but illustrates what I was talking abou: https://leviton.com/products/residential/usb-wall-outlet-chargers.

That is what I am talking about. Those have in wall chargers.You are looking at the face plate but there is a charger behind the face plate. Whatever they used would have to be compatible with cruise ship wiring. Also cruise ship mains are 230 volts. I tried to use Lutron in my condo but they were not compatible with the buildings wiring. 

Edited by Charles4515

22 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

They changed the wording on the prohibited items list. It says multi plug outlets. Some people want to overthink. USB ports are not plugs. 

I hope you are correct. But until RCCL clarifies things, we will not know....

Edited by Raxter54

31 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

• Extension Cords and Multi-Plug Outlets/ Power Strips

Unfortunately societies desire to overthink everything to find some way to take advantage will likely force RCL to modify the language to make it a little more precise to remove all opportunities for interpretation. Without that precision in the language, we'll see all the people 'interpreting' it to their advantage. 

I just use this and then occasionally need to plug in the iPad or laptop which both use the same power adapter and I'm good. Worked great for me on Icon last week and Utopia back in July. I used a max of 2 USB ports concurrently and everything was covered.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09W244BTQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Edited by donsullivan

1 minute ago, Raxter54 said:

I hope you are correct. But until RCI clarifies things, we will not know....

What they prohibit is clear. Multi plug outlets   Again you are overthinking it. Read it in context of prohibiting extension cords and power strips. (personally I don't really care as I don't use power strips, multi plugs or multi port USB chargers. I use a 3 in one MagSafe charger)

On 9/17/2024 at 9:02 AM, Sea Dog said:

I would be interested in hearing anyone’s experience where a passenger got their’s confiscated. We have cruised for years with these and had no problems.

IMG_0078.thumb.png.b14ea533207e8ee2d13262544e7a5ffd.png

Me two, we plan on taking one similar to one you show in your post. We've taken it on many cruises before without any issues.

I'd sure like to hear from folks taking RCI cruises in the next couple of weeks - we sail on the Brilliance in about 4 weeks.

Doug

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

What they prohibit is clear. Multi plug outlets   Again you are overthinking it. Read it in context of prohibiting extension cords and power strips. (personally I don't really care as I don't use power strips, multi plugs or multi port USB chargers. I use a 3 in one MagSafe charger)

We shall see. I'm not "overthinking", I just need a definitive answer before I go and buy something that doesn't fit RCCL's interpretation. Have a nice day....

20 hours ago, Raxter54 said:

We shall see. I'm not "overthinking", I just need a definitive answer before I go and buy something that doesn't fit RCCL's interpretation. Have a nice day....

I agree with Raxter on this one. RCL could have easy stated multi-plug AC outlets, but they didn't. Call it a plug, call it a port, it still outputs electricity.

My guess is the cubes that are relatively small with a couple of USB outlets will not be an issue, but they probably kept the wording vague enough so that they can confiscate some huge 15 port adaptor if they want. 

24 minutes ago, drb116 said:
21 hours ago, Raxter54 said:

I agree with Raxter on this one. RCL could have easy stated multi-plug AC outlets, but they didn't. Call it a plug, call it a port, it still outputs electricity.

The USB ports use DC not AC. The USB ports are not outlets. That is what you are getting wrong because you don’t understand the difference. Those multiple AC outlets in series on power strips and multi plug are probably what the issue is. The ships mains are wired differently than land mains. The DC USB ports are converted by the charger or a hub to DC from one AC outlet. So they don’t have that issue. 

21 hours ago, Raxter54 said:

Exactly!  RCCL really needs to be more specific IMO.  We cruise in 3 weeks - I'll just be taking the small little charging adapter that came with my phone.  I don't want to worry about will an item be confiscated or not.