Perfume overdoses

Briansbrain

Just off the Silhouette British Isles cruise.. Loved the ports, staff, food, etc.. All in all a great time.. I have cruised several times now,and my friends first cruise.She has reactive airway problems, and was quite aware that she would be in groups where people would wear perfumes and colognes, and tried hard to be proactive with her puffers, and wear to sit, avoid crowded elevators,etc. I had to admit that the perfume clouds of 6 feet radius were hard to avoid. Do you think it's reasonable for cruise lines to have discreet signs reminding people to be aware of others noses, or is just a losing battle?

Losing battle!

I agree that perfume is a problem on ships, but also everywhere. I was about knock over by a perfume cloud today while leaving Target. I found it again next door at TJMaxx. :rolleyes: :(

One of the main reasons that some wear so much perfume is because their noses are so accustom to the smells that they donot realize they are putting on more than needed. I myself do not wear it because of asthma. My husband cannot toletate it at all. We have had to move seats away from perfume clouds many, many times.

Edited by Iamthesea

I sympathize with your friend. My husband is sensitive to perfumes and colognes as well. Unfortunately, I doubt that a cruise line or any tourist destination would limit people's ability to use fragrances, especially since they encourage the dining experience and many people associate the use of fragrance with dressing up. I doubt that people realize how offensive the overuse of fragrance can be.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

My office went "scent free" at the same time they went smoke free. Maybe the time has come for ships and restaurants to do likewise.

Are you for real???????????????

There is no way anyone would stop me from wearing perfume - where does it end - deodorant - aftershave - perfumed anti bac? Scented hand wipes?

Honestly - how do these people live in cities where they are enveloped in carbon-monoxide and yet complain about scents? (I live in a Biosphere btw and a dark skies park with low pollution). when I come home from a day in the city my nose hurts and my eyes stream ... THAT is traffic and city pollution....

Some people just need to stop whinging -

They have had it with smokers - now its perfume - :eek:

HONESTLY!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

It IS a problem for many of us. Scents really bother me too. I have to avoid cosmetic areas in stores and candle shops, etc. I sing in a symphony chorus and have been in choirs and choruses my entire life and it's known by all that there should be no fragrances worn at any time in rehearsals and particularly on stage. I have noticed people wearing colognes and perfumes on cruise ships and I can hardly stand it in the elevators sometimes. But I also can't stand to be near a smoker even if they aren't smoking.

I know it's not a problem at all for some people. I wish I wasn't so sensitive to scents, but I get a migraine from some of them.

I don't think they should ban perfume like smoking, however. Just use common sense and quit using it so liberally. I agree that some people really saturate themselves in it, and use it daily, and don't often realize how strong they 'smell,' and it's just as offensive to some as cigar and cigarette smoke. But who knows what the answer is? We can't ban everything.

I alway carry a scarf with me -- just to use as a breathing mask when I encounter too much fragrance. I know that people like to wear perfume and after shave so I have to protect myself, especially in situations here I may not be able move away from them. However I do believe that people should not smell you coming (good or bad).

It IS a problem for many of us. Scents really bother me too. I have to avoid cosmetic areas in stores and candle shops, etc. I sing in a symphony chorus and have been in choirs and choruses my entire life and it's known by all that there should be no fragrances worn at any time in rehearsals and particularly on stage. I have noticed people wearing colognes and perfumes on cruise ships and I can hardly stand it in the elevators sometimes. But I also can't stand to be near a smoker even if they aren't smoking.

I know it's not a problem at all for some people. I wish I wasn't so sensitive to scents, but I get a migraine from some of them.

I don't think they should ban perfume like smoking, however. Just use common sense and quit using it so liberally. I agree that some people really saturate themselves in it, and use it daily, and don't often realize how strong they 'smell,' and it's just as offensive to some as cigar and cigarette smoke. But who knows what the answer is? We can't ban everything.

Agreed. I don't think it's anything that can be regulated but people should start being made aware that it's a potential issue. I do chorus stuff as well, and it's a standard expectation--unscented deodorant even. I rather like the break it provides. I had a friend who smoked heavily AND wore so much perfume that you could taste it. Lovely woman but it was hard to be in a car with her for any length of time. Thankfully, she finally stopped smoking not long after I met her and cut way back on the perfume as her sense of smell returned. You hope that self-awareness would be enough, but it's often not.

Chemical scents = instant headache for some of us. Unfortunately the headache lasts hours after exposure to the scent. My workplace is scent free, doctor's office is scent free...it absolutely IS a real problem for quite a few people.

I cannot go into a candle shop, scented bath products shop, desperately avoid the laundry aisle at the grocery store.

I've been lucky not to run into too many perfumes on hot weather cruises.

DH is very sensitive to scents, like others he gets severe headaches that last for hours. We to have had to move seats or leave the theatre numerous times, we don't do shared tables in Select; tried it once and couple who both were over perfumed of cologne were seated at the table. We had to leave making very uncomfortable situationfor everyone.

IMHO if the person wearing the scent can smell it then they have way to much on.

and quit using it so liberally.

I have an honest question, how much is "liberally?"

I appreciate Celebrity's rather strict smoking policy while on board. However, some people still smell of stale smoke because the odor permeates their clothing, hair, etc. Even if Celebrity were to implement a no scent policy, some people would still smell of various scents for the same reasons. And then there is deodorant for natural body odor and toothpaste/mouthwash for mouth odor.

I don't know how you regulate how other people smell.

I appreciate Celebrity's rather strict smoking policy while on board. However, some people still smell of stale smoke because the odor permeates their clothing, hair, etc. Even if Celebrity were to implement a no scent policy, some people would still smell of various scents for the same reasons. And then there is deodorant for natural body odor and toothpaste/mouthwash for mouth odor.

You know it when you smell it! Perfume is supposed to be a slight scent. Ideally, it's a spritz in the air that you walk through. Maybe a dab behind one ear or on the wrist. A hint of fragrance. If you can smell it more than a foot away, someone got carried away.

The cigarette odor can be dissipated quite a bit by always smoking outdoors and washing your hands and face after you have a cigarette.

There are unscented deodorants that still provide body odor protection without a gag-worthy scent. 10x worse when they're wearing a cologne or perfume that clashes with the deodorant scent.

You cannot regulate how other people smell. However, how other people smell can be regulated by themselves. I think that's the point of this thread.

Edited by bEwAbG

One of the main reasons that some wear so much perfume is because their noses are so accustom to the smells that they donot realize they are putting on more than needed.

You know it when you smell it!

And therein lies the problem! You may know it when you smell it but I may not know it if I don't smell it at all. Just like eyesight, hearing and taste, people have different levels of olfactory perception. For example, my spouse has a much better sense of smell than I. And FWIW, my spouse says I smell like nothing. I don't know if that is good or bad. :confused:

Are you for real???????????????

Some people just need to stop whinging -

They have had it with smokers - now its perfume - :eek:

HONESTLY!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Wow! As someone who has an allergy to both oil of cinnamon and cinnamic aldehyde I don't feel like I am "whinging" when the congestion becomes so bad I feel I can hardly breath!

Some folks need to understand that severe allergies are a serious problem for a surprisingly large number of people. A little understanding would go a long way.

And therein lies the problem! You may know it when you smell it but I may not know it if I don't smell it at all. Just like eyesight, hearing and taste, people have different levels of olfactory perception. For example, my spouse has a much better sense of smell than I. And FWIW, my spouse says I smell like nothing. I don't know if that is good or bad. :confused:

And now you know that you should spray a mist in the air and walk through it once. More than enough. You're welcome! :)

Some strong scents can trigger an immediate migraine for me too. I hate having to resort to my strong medications when I'm on vacation. :( I don't see an answer to it. I don't see how we can ask other people to go scent-free. I just do my best to avoid the offenders.

If the scent of your perfume or cologne or after shave (or lack of shower!) precedes you coming and going - then you have too much on. I think we all know what is too much.

You CAN'T regulate people's smell. That's why I said we really can't ban it. But we can use common sense. Just don't over do it. And be considerate and do what many do and defer to "less or none is more."

....... :( I don't see an answer to it. I don't see how we can ask other people to go scent-free. I just do my best to avoid the offenders.
At least on a cruise ship you are free to walk away, or change your seat, or ask to have your table changed.

On airplanes, we are stuck in our assigned seat for hours, these days often on full flights that have no empty seats.

Even worse is when someone seated close to you keeps sneezing or coughing throughout a long flight. and there is nothing you can do about it, except perhaps offer the person a cough drop.