5 day cruise to Caribbean

beshears

I am asking this of people who have done shorter cruises.

If you have cruised to the Caribbean, what direction would you suggest that we check out? In other words, what port or islands in that short period of time?

I agree it depends on your preference and maybe where you have been prior. I have been to Progresso and Cozumel twice, love them both, but would not choose to go again for awhile.

We have also been to Nassua, Freeport and Half Moon Cay, which are also great.

I would look at price of cruise, getting to the port and whether you can drive or need to fly. Also the ship and which one may interest you more to sail on.

For me it would come down to total price, all other things being equal.

Edited by nissach

We've been to Cozumel 3 times (from Tampa and New Orleans) and have always enjoyed it. There is so much to do that we have no qualms about going back either. As opposed to the Bahamas, we've found a place we like in Nassau, but the gauntlet of vendors around the port is becoming increasingly annoying, and a stop in Freeport may as well be a sea day. We've been to Jamaica once, and it's beautiful, but felt like the local population was trying to scam us. Grand Turk is on a few Eastern itineraries and I'd love to get back there, it's a great beach day. We're headed back to Progresso for the 2nd time, the port does not offer much, but we really enjoyed the ruins at Uxmal.

Also watch the times you are in port. We did a 4 day with stops at Key West and Cozumel. We all thought this was an awesome itinerary but we were in KW from 7-2 so just as things got going we had to leave [emoji17] Then we were in Cozumel from 3-10 so we didn't really have much of a beach day (it was winter and sun went down early). We did get to see the carnival parade though!

Another 4 night cruise we did through RC stopped at Nassau, KW and CocoCay (their private island). All stops were 8-4 or 5 so we had lots of time in port!

I've always enjoyed Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and the other Western Caribbean ports. The Bahamas aren't as much fun, IMO, but on the other hand, any cruise that stops in Key West is a winner in my book. ;)

"SKY"

If you like beach days, then having Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk as ports is a must. Walk off the ship and your on the beach at Grand Turk, and a short tender ride and your at HMC. You an always find a cruise with these ports.

I've always enjoyed Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and the other Western Caribbean ports. The Bahamas aren't as much fun, IMO, but on the other hand, any cruise that stops in Key West is a winner in my book. ;)

"SKY"

I have to agree with above. Have been to the Bahamas a couple of times, and don't find it "fun" that much and more expensive for excursions.

I see you are in KC. Are you planning to drive? Several good deals out of New Orleans or Galveston for 5 day to Cozumel and Progresso.

If you are planning to fly, look at the 6 day out of Fort Lauderdale. Flights seem to be cheaper than flying to Miami. I just booked an 6 day Conquest, inside cabin, 7th deck for Dec. 4th for $1,038 and flights as low as $340 pp. Total cost of vacation less than $2000 for 2 people.

If you like beach days, then having Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk as ports is a must. Walk off the ship and your on the beach at Grand Turk, and a short tender ride and your at HMC. You an always find a cruise with these ports.

Also have to agree with Grand Turk. My wife's favorite port. Great beach day and pool right off the pier, and all free. It's one of the ports on that 6 day I mentioned above.

Edited by HawkIVette

Thank you "everyone" for your postings, this will give me an idea of what to be thinking about for next year.

Actually I have been to all the places mentioned, but have always done something like this for a 7 day cruise. The ones that are to go with me (8 of us), may not be able to be gone 7 days like myself, and that was why I was asking about the 5 day cruises.

Someone mentioned about me being in KC. Yes, I am spoiled and live/work real close to the airport, so that makes it real handy.

I was thinking it might be better to fly into Tampa for something, as it may be a tad cheaper. I doubt if we will be drying, and we could fly into Tampa, and then take transportation to Ft. Lauderdale for cruises as well, which I have done before. Yes we will have to weigh the expense of flying, and whether we will need transportation to the ship, etc.

I have been to Cozumel several times, and really have enjoyed seeing it. The last time we toured the "unpopulated" side, and it is very beautiful as well.

I was just trying to find something else in the "Caribbean" other than Cozumel, but that is OK, if we go there, as I will definitely be able to tell those that are with me, about it. :)

I've always enjoyed Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and the other Western Caribbean ports. The Bahamas aren't as much fun, IMO, but on the other hand, any cruise that stops in Key West is a winner in my book. ;)"SKY"

My DH could have written this - we totally agree. :)

Because we wanted to sail out of Charleston harbor we just did a Bahamas 5 day on the Sunshine - Nassau and Freeport - and my feeling is that unless you love shopping or are paying to go to a beach it was better to stay aboard the ship those port days. A few years ago we did a "history sightseeing" tour in Nassau but once that was done the draw wasn't so great.

Love Key West too :D