ms Westerdam & ms Nieuw Amsterdam in Juneau, AK - June 20, 2016

Copper10-8

Both Westerdam and Nieuw Amsterdam are scheduled to be making their weekly appearance in Alaska's state capital tomorrow, Monday, June 20 2016.

Both ships are scheduled for a 1300 hrs. / 1:00 pm local arrival, with WEDM assigned the Cruise Terminal (CT) dock and a scheduled 10:00 pm departure, while NADM, on a weekly swap with Celebrity Solstice, will be tendering to the Juneau lightering float (AMP - Anchored Marine Park). Both dam ships are scheduled to depart at 10:00 pm

The action can be seen, and usually heard, at

http://www.juneauharborwebcam.com/

Also in port, in order of arrival, will be somewhat of an infrequent visitor; Oceania Cruises' Regatta, assigned the Alaska Steamship (AS) dock (0900-2000), a regular; Crown Princess, going the Franklin Street (FKL) dock (1100-2230) as well as the aforementioned Celebrity Solstice this week at the Alaska Juneau (AJ) dock (1330-2200)

watching Regatta coming in. question.... it appears that they are preparing for tendering while docking. Any idea what they are doing?

Morning Pop; yeah' date=' that's interesting. They're still working on her mooring lines and she already has her fwd tender platform rigged and deployed, one boat in the water and a second brought to embarkation deck. When they have drills, they usually wait until the lines are secured, the gangway out and the ship's cleared. None of that has happened yet

[/color']

Edited by Copper10-8

They are definitely filling up the lifeboat. Must be some way to transport folks to an excursion.

Thought of that because those are pax, not crew, loading in the tenders; would be nice if the camera could pan out a bit because it appears those two tenders are not going very far which would be the Juneau lightering float, the floating "tender dock" just ahead of the AS dock where Regatta is moored. Still doesn't explain why though because that particular float is walking distance from the AS dock. Pure speculation but, perhaps she is unable to take/accept a gangway? I don't yet see her pax streaming off towards the white canopy ashore

I did hear an announcement over the webcam that they needed to raise the ship 4 feet? It seemed weird, and I didn't understand if there was a problem, because they certainly can't do that, and the reply was that there were only 4 men on the dock. I have really no idea what they were talking about...:)

I did hear an announcement over the webcam that they needed to raise the ship 4 feet? It seemed weird, and I didn't understand if there was a problem, because they certainly can't do that, and the reply was that there were only 4 men on the dock. I have really no idea what they were talking about...:)

Then, like Corona said, it's more than likely "tide-related" and Regatta's gangway "break" (door opening) is still situated below the AS dock. In other words, the ship needs to "rise" with the tide in order to be able to accept the shore-side gangway

Edited by Copper10-8

Regatta's gangway now connected to the AS dock, Crown Princess about to come alongside and the camera operator at Starbucks ;)

Btw, that red flag below Regatta's bow identifies her bulbous bow to small boat traffic ;)

Copper, any idea what the tidal range is in Juneau?

Roy

It fluctuates a lot Roy; there are always gangway changes (from deck to a deck below or above) in places like Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway. What you just saw with Regatta is a prime example

It fluctuates a lot Roy; there are always gangway changes (from deck to a deck below or above) in places like Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway. What you just saw with Regatta is a prime example

I was wondering if there were a tidal bore at Juneau, but I guess not, if it is not an inlet.