Gifts from Travel Agent

hollyberry

Is there a polite way to suggest to your travel agent that while you appreciate the gift of sparkling wine neither my husband or I drink, so another gift may be more appreciated. Usually we just give it away to whoever has the cabin next to us, but it would be nice to get something we could use.

Is there a polite way to suggest to your travel agent that while you appreciate the gift of sparkling wine neither my husband or I drink, so another gift may be more appreciated. Usually we just give it away to whoever has the cabin next to us, but it would be nice to get something we could use.

I would simply say "Thank-you for the sparkling wine. We appreciate your thoughtfulness, but neither my husband nor I are wine drinkers." I wouldn't ask for something else, but if your TA asks for a suggestion, you could say that some OBC (on board credit) would be good. :)

I think it is lovely that your TA sends a gift. Gifts come from their commission and Carnival is not know for not paying high commission rates to TAs. If you do not drink, you could always "pay it forward" to a guest onboard. Maybe find a honeymoon couple and offer it to them.

I would simply say "Thank-you for the sparkling wine. We appreciate your thoughtfulness, but neither my husband nor I are wine drinkers." I wouldn't ask for something else, but if your TA asks for a suggestion, you could say that some OBC (on board credit) would be good. :)

What a polite and thoughtful response to handle an otherwise potentially awkward situation. I like it. :)

Thanks everyone and I think I'll use beachbum53's suggestion.

I agree completely. I was a travel agent for ten years and I would have wanted to know if a client didn't drink. TA's really want their clients to enjoy the gifts.

On the first 2 cruises we sailed, we didn't realize the bottle of wine was a gift. We just assumed it was part of the minibar inventory and left it alone thinking we were avoiding the ridiculous minibar charge.

On the last day of the second cruise, the room stewart reminded us to take our bottle. Wait, what? That's ours? So we brought it to the buffet and had early mimosa's at 7:30 am.

I would have thought there would have been note or something with it.

We never got another bottle since.

The TA we used when we started cruising about 20 years ago always sent us a bottle of wine and it had a note from her.

Since she paid for it she should be made aware that you dont care for the type of wine so she doesnt keep throwing her money away.

Our TA always has a bottle of bubbly on ice waiting for us upon our arrival to cabin and atleast $25-$75 OBC she has added to our account depending on the amount spent. She also prints all our travel papers and gives us gifts. For our next cruise a 9 day on Valor, she gave me 2 Carnival t-shirts and 2 hats inside a backpack! She's pretty awesome!

Edited by cruizinrican

Polite way....really? I'm very polite but I have no concern at all about this because it's not impolite at all to say....we don't drink wine...could you perhaps substitute it with water?

Btw...don't be surprised if the answer is no because the wine is swill and the agent probably doesn't even pay for it and gets it as a freebie from the ship

Obc? Um maybe....but it would be in the range of $5. Lol

Polite way....really? I'm very polite but I have no concern at all about this because it's not impolite at all to say....we don't drink wine...could you perhaps substitute it with water?

Btw...don't be surprised if the answer is no because the wine is swill and the agent probably doesn't even pay for it and gets it as a freebie from the ship

Obc? Um maybe....but it would be in the range of $5. Lol

I guess I was raised differently. I was taught at a very young age that, regardless of the value of the gift, and whether or not it was something you would like, you always say "Thank-you." The TA was simply showing appreciation to hollyberry for her business. The TA was under no obligation to give them anything. Assuming the wine was "swill" and asking for something else is incredibly rude. Sorry luvtheships, but your response does not imply politeness at all.

How about a simple note ...

Thank you for the sparkling wine gift. While we appreciate the gesture, please understand that neither I nor my husband drink.

I sent my friend and his girlfriend an alcoholic drink one time and when he got back he very nicely told me that neither of them drink. The next time I got him something else.

Another way is to write a review and sent a copy to your TA. In the review explain how nice your TA was to send you the gift and explain that you gave it away to your neighbor (and why). Later ask your TA if (s)he read the review and what (s)he thought of it.

There is always a nice way to tell someone who thought they were doing you a favor why it didn't work out so well. Highlight the positive and just mention the negative without making it sound negative.

Edited by Cuizer2

Our TA always has a bottle of bubbly on ice waiting for us upon our arrival to cabin and atleast $25-$75 OBC she has added to our account depending on the amount spent. She also prints all our travel papers and gives us gifts. For our next cruise a 9 day on Valor, she gave me 2 Carnival t-shirts and 2 hats inside a backpack! She's pretty awesome!

Ok... I think I need a new travel agent!!

I guess I was raised differently. I was taught at a very young age that, regardless of the value of the gift, and whether or not it was something you would like, you always say "Thank-you." The TA was simply showing appreciation to hollyberry for her business. The TA was under no obligation to give them anything. Assuming the wine was "swill" and asking for something else is incredibly rude. Sorry luvtheships, but your response does not imply politeness at all.

Sorry but there is nothing wrong with asking for water in stead of wine

Btw isn't the point if this thread to figure out how to tell the TA you don't want the wine?

So here goes.....tell them that you don't drink wine and prefer water

Of course if you want to keep up appearances with the TA and are concerned with rudeness just take the wine and don't drink it and be done with the whole issue

Oh and I never said to tell the ta the wine is swill as that would be rude

But what is actually ridiculous...is not having the confidence to ask for water....because you don't want to be rude

Knowing many TA's, I can attest that when the Ta's send gifts, they are ordering from the same Fun ship (overpriced) inventory. They are not getting it for free - it definitely comes out of a meagre commission, so if you have a TA who appreciates his/her clients enough to provide a gift, I would think that was a TA who wanted to make clients happy. By all means ,mention if you do not drink because there are other options I'm sure a conscientious TA would provide as a gift.

It's actually inconsiderate and thoughtless to let your ta think you appreciated the wine just because you didn't want to be "rude"

Seriously speak up for yourself and just tell the ta

Is the entire country full of sheeple. Geez

Sent from my iPad using Forums