Alaska cruise w/train excursions

suec12

I am going on an Alaskan cruise in 2017 with family. We are doing Seattle round trip, 7 day. My BIL seems to think there will be options for train excursions? but has no definite information. Is this true? from which port? I thought that usually the train trips were actually pre or post trip add ons. Thanks for any info!

I am going on an Alaskan cruise in 2017 with family. We are doing Seattle round trip, 7 day. My BIL seems to think there will be options for train excursions? but has no definite information. Is this true? from which port? I thought that usually the train trips were actually pre or post trip add ons. Thanks for any info!

You can take the White Pass train excursion in Skagway. It's pretty spectacular.

I agree, White Pass RR in Skagway.

Sit on the downhill side of the train (the left side as it leaves town). Almost all of the narration is about this side.

Also, don't do it round trip - pretty boring seeing the same thing twice. There are lots of other options: train and gold panning, train and dog sled, etc

This is probably one of our favorite excursions. Took lots of amazing photos

Just off the Coral.

We did Dyea Dave Tour van one way... and the White Pass on the return.

Dyea Dave was very good at explaining how to book... they told me which train return to book and told me once I had done that, to call them back and actually reserve Dyea Dave and give them the confirmation number. In Skagway, the Dyea Dave van picked us up at the port dock and took us to the train station to get the physical ticket. Then we took the van tour, ate a small lunch, and caught the 2:45 return train.

Glad we had both experiences. The van tour allowed us to get out and take some beautiful pictures. The train provided a completely different return trip. In fact, I stood outside on the platform for more than half because of the photo opportunities!

I have done the RR in Skagway. One thing to bear in mind. The train is very narrow. You are on wooden benches. When you reach the top and begin your way down, you pick up the seatback on the bench and move it to the other side.

The train moves very, very sloooooooooooooooooowly.

Loved the White Pass ride...bus out and train back.

You must bring your passports along for entry into Beautiful British Columbia, Canada and re-entry into the USA.

If you plan on taking the train, I would recommend buying your tickets at the depot and not from the ship. The price is about the same. The big difference is you will ride in a car with the other depot passengers. Each car hold about 80 passengers and the cruise cars will be FULL. The time we have done it there were only around 20 or so depot passengers so we had room to move around.

I have done the RR in Skagway. One thing to bear in mind. The train is very narrow. You are on wooden benches. When you reach the top and begin your way down, you pick up the seatback on the bench and move it to the other side.

The train moves very, very sloooooooooooooooooowly.

Killjoy.....

Hi Suec12,

Go to Princess.com, sign into your account, then go to Browse excursions.

Even though you cannot book any excursion now you will be able to look and see what is available at each port. A lot to see and decide upon for your trip. Prices will be shown will be 2016 but I don't think much of a change in cost will be in 2017.

You will be able to book excursions about 4 months Before your trip.

Hope this might help you out...planning is so much fun! ;)

Edited by nanabananna

Hi

We have done the train several times. I would recommend pairing it with a tour of the Yukon area - it's beautiful and often sunny when Skagway is cloudy. Schedule it so the Yukon is the first leg and the train is the second portion of the tour.

Enjoy!:)

If you plan on taking the train, I would recommend buying your tickets at the depot and not from the ship. The price is about the same. The big difference is you will ride in a car with the other depot passengers. Each car hold about 80 passengers and the cruise cars will be FULL. The time we have done it there were only around 20 or so depot passengers so we had room to move around.

I booked through the cruise line and my car was not full by any means. Plenty of room. Done this 2x.

Edited by Coral