Change in Carnival Loyalty Program

volmoma

It is 20 pages of nothing. There is no news or information to be garnered. I have kept up with the thread because it has been entertaining to read about people getting bent out of shape over something that hasn't been announced yet.

If I am having a bad day, I just tune in to CC for some great comic relief.

That's what I figured and why asked. I'll revisit he subject in a few weeks when actual details are available. :D

I think perks are nice, but to choose a cruise or cruiseline simply to move up the ladder to Perkville, is a form of insanity, IMHO.:rolleyes: I like the early embarkation, cabin ready when I board, and the FREE slots (if I have time). The rest are merely frosting on the cake.

I cruise mostly Carnival because I like their business model, their pricing, and I know what to expect when and wherever I go on the ship. Familiarity doesn't always breed contempt. I stumbled onto PLATINUM way back in the day when the Purser informed me I was platinum, not gold. They changed it on the spot, later sent an officer to my cabin with an "official" letter of apology and a bottle of champagne !:D I was 2 cruises away from being MILESTONE (the old Diamond classification) when they changed the rules some time ago. Now I'm some 40 or 50 nights away from Diamond and at age 77 on my next cruise in October, I statistically won't probably make it. ;)

Enjoy the sea, enjoy the new people you meet, have some great grub and see some new countries and cultures . . . . don't worry about your status. That will take care of itself.:)

Edited by glrounds

Enjoy the sea, enjoy the new people you meet, have some great grub and see some new countries and cultures . . . . don't worry about your status. That will take care of itself.:)

glrounds---That's exactly how I feel! I'm "only" gold with 7 cruises, and the 8th and 9th booked. Booked because I love to be on a ship, any ship. To see new places and just have fun. Perks are nice for sure, but the adventure of a cruise is why I'm there! :)

• 3 weeks later...
Hmm. Last brilliant improvement of loyalty program promised a lot and just took stuff away.

People can speculate on what improvements they like but based on past experience how can we expect much?

You would think after that fiasco they would keep mum on the subject until ready to make the announcement. Would think JH would refuse to talk about it after being made the fool last time.

Agreed! I was really upset after the last round of changes. My husband was demoted from gold to red. We both just got back to gold status. The kids were bummed on this last cruise because they're 1 day from being gold.

Do I cruise for the perks? No. But it's nice to have them. When they took the drink away from red card holders, it was a disappointment for my kids. They loved ordering their virgin pina colada at the sea day brunch. Did it ruin their cruise? Of course not! But it's always nice to have a little perk here and there. Additionally, if a company says "if you do this, I'll do this" I expect them to follow through.

Also, for those of you saying Carnival is cheaper, I disagree. We cruised with 5 in a family balcony on the Oasis of the Seas and it was roomier and cheaper than our past Carnival cruises. Besides the fact that Carnival doesn't offer family balcony rooms. Their family cabins are only ocean view on the 1st & 2nd floor of the ship (the few that offer family staterooms, that is).

Ultimately, we will continue cruising but where I'm earning the best perks for my loyalty will definitely sway my decision. Especially since I've had fun on ALL of the lines I've cruised.

It is 20 pages of nothing. There is no news or information to be garnered. I have kept up with the thread because it has been entertaining to read about people getting bent out of shape over something that hasn't been announced yet.

If I am having a bad day, I just tune in to CC for some great comic relief.

I read on another site that John would be making the announcement next week (after the CD conference). I'm not sure if that's accurate but they claimed that came from John. :)

Agreed! I was really upset after the last round of changes. My husband was demoted from gold to red. We both just got back to gold status. The kids were bummed on this last cruise because they're 1 day from being gold.

Do I cruise for the perks? No. But it's nice to have them. When they took the drink away from red card holders, it was a disappointment for my kids. They loved ordering their virgin pina colada at the sea day brunch. Did it ruin their cruise? Of course not! But it's always nice to have a little perk here and there. Additionally, if a company says "if you do this, I'll do this" I expect them to follow through.

Also, for those of you saying Carnival is cheaper, I disagree. We cruised with 5 in a family balcony on the Oasis of the Seas and it was roomier and cheaper than our past Carnival cruises. Besides the fact that Carnival doesn't offer family balcony rooms. Their family cabins are only ocean view on the 1st & 2nd floor of the ship (the few that offer family staterooms, that is).

Ultimately, we will continue cruising but where I'm earning the best perks for my loyalty will definitely sway my decision. Especially since I've had fun on ALL of the lines I've cruised.

I'll vouch for this. I enjoy cruising and I am pricing all the time . Agree prices are now closer in comparison now than in the past.

I'll vouch for this. I enjoy cruising and I am pricing all the time . Agree prices are now closer in comparison now than in the past.

I've price checked every cruise beginning with our cruise in 2012 against other lines and every time, Carnival has won by a significant amount. It may that my schedule is so limited that there are not as many options for my time frame (which is valid reason at this point), or that I don't how to check at the best times. At this point though, I am close to platinum and will finish that up (unless there are changes) before branching out.

I am interested in trying RCI and Princess. :)

I was 2 cruises away from being MILESTONE (the old Diamond classification) when they changed the rules some time ago. Now I'm some 40 or 50 nights away from Diamond and at age 77 on my next cruise in October, I statistically won't probably make it. ;)

Milestone was never the old diamond classification. The milestone program is an entirely different thing milestones being cruises 25, 50, 75, 100. When they changed up the loyalty program they added diamond as an all new tier.

I think perks are nice, but to choose a cruise or cruiseline simply to move up the ladder to Perkville, is a form of insanity, IMHO.:rolleyes: I like the early embarkation, cabin ready when I board, and the FREE slots (if I have time). The rest are merely frosting on the cake.

I cruise mostly Carnival because I like their business model, their pricing, and I know what to expect when and wherever I go on the ship. Familiarity doesn't always breed contempt. I stumbled onto PLATINUM way back in the day when the Purser informed me I was platinum, not gold. They changed it on the spot, later sent an officer to my cabin with an "official" letter of apology and a bottle of champagne !:D I was 2 cruises away from being MILESTONE (the old Diamond classification) when they changed the rules some time ago. Now I'm some 40 or 50 nights away from Diamond and at age 77 on my next cruise in October, I statistically won't probably make it. ;)

I wish forums had like buttons. I am FB spoiled

Milestone was never the old diamond classification. The milestone program is an entirely different thing milestones being cruises 25, 50, 75, 100. When they changed up the loyalty program they added diamond as an all new tier.

And they took away their white Milestone cards and gave them a silver one :eek:. Hello Lizz nice to see a familiar name on here. ;)

And they took away their white Milestone cards and gave them a silver one :eek:. Hello Lizz nice to see a familiar name on here. ;)

We got white Milestone cards on our 25th on the Valor last November. We were doing a B2B and the 25th was our second leg.

We initially got Silver cards. Went to GS and explained that this was our 25th and were on a B2B. They said "let me check." Came back and said "you are right. We don't have any Milestone cards right now, but we will call your room and let you know when we get them."

Couple of hours later, we got a call and went to GS and got our white Milestone cards. :D

We got white Milestone cards on our 25th on the Valor last November. We were doing a B2B and the 25th was our second leg.

We initially got Silver cards. Went to GS and explained that this was our 25th and were on a B2B. They said "let me check." Came back and said "you are right. We don't have any Milestone cards right now, but we will call your room and let you know when we get them."

Couple of hours later, we got a call and went to GS and got our white Milestone cards. :D

Yes , your suppose to get a white card on a Milestone cruise . Back before Carnival changed the loyalty program Milestone was considered to be the top tier and employees continued to give the white cards out to Milestones even after their 25th cruise 26th ,27th and so forth.

^^^^ This. The two programs have always been separate and still are.

I don't know your specifics or where you are cruising from, but I just went on and did a pretty unscientific check of pricing from Miami on 7 day cruises comparing the cheapest I found for the the big 3 (Carnival, Royal and NCL) for 3 different times of year Feb/May.Oct. Here is what I found:

The time of year/ship name/ and pricing for inside outside and balcony

February 2017

Splendor. Inside 474. Outside 594. Balcony 834

Liberty OTS. Inside 529. Outside 893. Balcony 1069

NCL Escape. Inside 509. Outside 849. Balcony 826

May 2017

Glory. Inside 574. Outside 714. Balcony 934

Liberty OTS Inside 668. Outside 839. Balcony 1069

NCL Escape. Inside 569. Outside 749. Balcony 899

October 2017

Splendor Inside 464. Outside 574. Balcony 744

NCL Escape Inside 499 Outside 649. Balcony 849

Liberty OTS. Inside 549. Outside 671. Balcony 859

Granted one port and not every ship, just the first one that showed up as the cheapest on the booking engine I used. Looks like Royal was the most expensive I saw. Of course, your results may vary, but I did not see what you referred to..... Five people in a room or two is a unique requirement, but again generally, I have not seen pricing that puts Royal as the price leader.

have never seen any kid care about the color of their card either....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by jimbo5544

Originally Posted by irishlizz viewpost.gif

Were the cruisers with 25 or more cruises grandfathered into the Diamond catagory?

Originally Posted by irishlizz viewpost.gif

Were the cruisers with 25 or more cruises grandfathered into the Diamond catagory?

Diamond was a new category so nothing to be grandfathered into like

Platinum. Have to reach 200 se days, if you were already there then you were instantly Diamond.

Diamond was a new category so nothing to be grandfathered into like

Platinum. Have to reach 200 se days, if you were already there then you were instantly Diamond.

I was Diamond with only 17 or so cruises. I do longer cruises -TA - Med- Panama Canal -Hawaii etc. One minute I was Platinum (ten cruises)and then Diamond.

Yes , your suppose to get a white card on a Milestone cruise . Back before Carnival changed the loyalty program Milestone was considered to be the top tier and employees continued to give the white cards out to Milestones even after their 25th cruise 26th ,27th and so forth.

That's interesting, I thought Milestone went away with the old program. I'm at 22 cruises (Platinum) with CCL, but not even 100 nights yet. So at 25 I'll start getting white cards but still be Platinum?

That's interesting, I thought Milestone went away with the old program. I'm at 22 cruises (Platinum) with CCL, but not even 100 nights yet. So at 25 I'll start getting white cards but still be Platinum?

Only for your 25th Milestone cruise, then back to Platinum card.

Strong bookings allow Carnival to raise prices. Nothing magical about it. With a large increase in the number of Platinum and Diamond cruisers, it would appear that Carnival is getting all the repeat business that they want.

True for the time being; however, with lots of new tonnage coming on line and no eager buyers for the fantasy class ships, they'll need a bigger base of repeat cruisers in the future.

NCL has already fallen in to this trap, having done little to secure repeat business, their prices are plummeting as their new ships come on line.

On the other hand RCCL really upped their game on this front before adding ships and cabins on existing ships and their recent pricing indicates it's paid off for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nealstuber

I just book with any cruise line that is right for me, at the moment. I feel bad that I'm not up there with any one loyalty club but I'm not aiming for any special perks. Destination, price, departure port and dates are more important than aiming for diamond etc.

I envy the guys that are up there because I know I'll never get there, lol :)

I've price checked every cruise beginning with our cruise in 2012 against other lines and every time, Carnival has won by a significant amount. It may that my schedule is so limited that there are not as many options for my time frame (which is valid reason at this point), or that I don't how to check at the best times. At this point though, I am close to platinum and will finish that up (unless there are changes) before branching out.

I am interested in trying RCI and Princess. :)

I found RCI to be cheaper when I called vs pricing online. That was a huge pain when I was checking for price drops once we booked but my obsessiveness paid off. LOL

I don't know your specifics or where you are cruising from, but I just went on and did a pretty unscientific check of pricing from Miami on 7 day cruises comparing the cheapest I found for the the big 3 (Carnival, Royal and NCL) for 3 different times of year Feb/May.Oct. Here is what I found:

The time of year/ship name/ and pricing for inside outside and balcony

February 2017

Splendor. Inside 474. Outside 594. Balcony 834

Liberty OTS. Inside 529. Outside 893. Balcony 1069

NCL Escape. Inside 509. Outside 849. Balcony 826

May 2017

Glory. Inside 574. Outside 714. Balcony 934

Liberty OTS Inside 668. Outside 839. Balcony 1069

NCL Escape. Inside 569. Outside 749. Balcony 899

October 2017

Splendor Inside 464. Outside 574. Balcony 744

NCL Escape Inside 499 Outside 649. Balcony 849

Liberty OTS. Inside 549. Outside 671. Balcony 859

Granted one port and not every ship, just the first one that showed up as the cheapest on the booking engine I used. Looks like Royal was the most expensive I saw. Of course, your results may vary, but I did not see what you referred to..... Five people in a room or two is a unique requirement, but again generally, I have not seen pricing that puts Royal as the price leader.

have never seen any kid care about the color of their card either....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

NCL has special right now for an eastern or western 7 day itinerary for $279pp + taxes and fees for a guaranteed inside room. They also are allowing you to choose from free specialty dining, free gratuities, free drinks, or something else I can't recall. Also, as I mentioned above, I found RCI's prices to be cheaper when I called vs checking online prices. It was a pain and not exactly user friendly but it was worth it in the long run.

In regards to your "never seen any kid care about the color of their card either" comment, I can assure you my kids did. Not because it gave them a better 'status' but because they were excited to have possibly moved up a level and receive a 'gold card'. It would be no different than some people being excited over a gold plastic ship on a stick. It may not be worth much, but to the person receiving it that cares, it is.