Change in Carnival Loyalty Program

volmoma

They really need to change from a nights based point system to cost. Not only would that let them merge the programs with their other lines, but it makes it more fair. You now get more airline miles if you fly first class rather than economy, why not give more points to those in a balcony cabin than interior?

I think this way makes the most sense, even though I always get interior and would get less points

I agree but I think it will be tough to implement. You would either have to grandfather in an already large group of people or takeaway from those who have become accustomed to this. I think they should add new levels in and then change the program based on dollar spend and nights. They also need to provide better perks to platinum and diamond because their perks are below industry standard.

They really need to change from a nights based point system to cost. Not only would that let them merge the programs with their other lines, but it makes it more fair. You now get more airline miles if you fly first class rather than economy, why not give more points to those in a balcony cabin than interior?

I think this way makes the most sense, even though I always get interior and would get less points

I hate the way airlines are doing it now and hope the cruise lines don't follow that model. I can see giving extra points for Suites or Havana cabins kind of like Celebrity does with Concierge Class and Suites. But I hope they never go to it based on fare. How would they recalculate everyone's status? There would be a mass uprising and rightfully so.

It has been my experience that whenever a company changes their loyalty program, it is to benefit the company and not the consumer. While it's their company and certainly their right to do so, it's also my right to not give them my business if I feel it doesn't meet my needs and I feel unappreciated as a customer.

I have 71 cruise days now and am thinking about another one at some point before the end of the year which will put me at 78 if I do a 7 day. I will be mad as a hornet if they change up my status and decrease my perks.

We'll see if this latest maneuver is "brilliant" or just another reason in the bucket for me to switch cruise lines.

I suspect that it will resemble a program if you purchase a style of cabin and days at sea. For example if you book a suite and 7 day cruise you will get more points than an inside cabin and a 7 day cruise and if you book "X" number of days in advance[/quote

Exactly the way Princess does their program. Suites get 2 points regardless of the lenght of the cruise. A lot of people book a suite for the 1 day repositions from Vancouver/ Seattle to bank points. True with the shorter cruises 2-3 days.

Book a single room and get 2 points ( if a single in a suite, 3 points ).

CCL shouldn't merge programs and give cross fleet privileges as it only increase the amount of upper tier members. Just like people complaining here about too many Plat/Diamond? members and therefore no FTTF available.

Princess has faster to reach loyalty levels. My Mom is an elite and we travel with her. We just reached Platinum status after 5 cruises. That gives us free internet minutes. Elite throw in free laundry and canapés to your room on formal night and a 1 time minibar setup. Priority tender and Embark/Disembarc included with Platinum

Princess Platinum is 5 cruise points or 50 days, Elite is 15 cruises points or 150 days.

We decided on Princess, but after our 05/31 Alaska cruise, decided to try Carnival again. Princess dining room food has gone way downhill and thats from a guy thats been eating airline food for the past 30yrs.

Now I just have to see if those Grapes will ruin my appetite in Miracles dining room.

Last time it changed they gave a long grace period to get to the next level. Wonder if they'll do that again?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It's interesting to me- the posts about adding levels, adding perks, all CCL cruises count etc etc etc.

You've got to be kidding. Already there are thousands of people who already are Platinum and Diamond. It only takes 11, 7 day cruises to become Platinum. Hardly a "lot" of loyalty. All those "perks" cost money. What some are proposing is more be spent on more people? Where do they think it would be coming from? Well it will be increased fares. Upper perks should be difficult to obtain and not half the ship qualifying.

It's interesting to me- the posts about adding levels, adding perks, all CCL cruises count etc etc etc.

You've got to be kidding. Already there are thousands of people who already are Platinum and Diamond. It only takes 11, 7 day cruises to become Platinum. Hardly a "lot" of loyalty. All those "perks" cost money. What some are proposing is more be spent on more people? Where do they think it would be coming from? Well it will be increased fares. Upper perks should be difficult to obtain and not half the ship qualifying.

"Only" 11 7 day cruises? That's a pretty good amount. If a family can only go on one cruise a year it would take them 11 YEARS to achieve that! Not to mention not everyone does 7 days. Some of mine are 5 and 6 days. What I don't think was fair is those that got to Platinum by taking 10 2-3 day cruises. But hey, it's the way Carnival did it so that's on them. Then they changed it to 75 days for the exact same perks. Again, their ships, their rules. But I will be highly upset if I get to 75 or are almost there (depending on when my next cruise will be) and they yank Platinum out from under me.

I am looking forward to not having to buy FTTF and would like to have some of the additional perks that I have earned by staying faithful to Carnival. So I can only hope that whatever they do, they look at the big picture and realize that people who have cruised 75 days or more have spent a lot of money and dedicated their vacations to Carnival even though we continue to see fare increases (many times paying more than other cruise lines) while receiving less and less value.

Do I still love Carnival? Sure. Will I take another slap in the face like the time I was demoted from Gold to Red and then more recently had the Gold program changed around? I really don't think so. I have family that is booked on the Vista next year and they are spending a ton of money between their rooms and pre booked Shore Excursions. If I get anything less than what the current Platinum perks are when its all said and done, I will tell them to switch cruise lines. Yes, they will listen to me, and yes, I feel that passionate about it.

Oh and I would be curious to see the number of Platinums that got there under the old rules (10 cruises of any duration) vs the new way (75 days). I'm betting the former has many more.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Not everyone lives next to a port. I don't. I can drive close to 10 hours to get to Galveston or I have to get a flight. 11 flights for 2 is around 12k extra for flight costs. And no I'm not saying that home location of the traveler should mean anything, I'm saying 75 days is harder to get to for those that don't live near a port.

So what do you all think, will happen, when more people get those upper level perks? Already, the repeater party is packed, it will take days to get laundry back, hundreds of people- will expect their rooms and bags to be in/at their cabins when they board- which they are all going to want, no lines and being first on the ship, etc

Sorry, my opinion, upper level perks should only be for a small percentage to have the special "reward" effect. There's no way to expect that when there are large numbers of upper level.

A lot of people do multiple cruises/year. That has nothing to do with those who do not. It's about numbers and costs. Another factor is being added here that has nothing to do with "perks", going in the direction of not living near a port, having to pay for flights, cruise once/year etc etc etc. My opinion only.

The Past Guest parties from what I hear are much more manageable than in the past. If they need to they can split it up over two parties.

I really don't care too much about the laundry because I would probably be too paranoid about them ruining it. But I would still like the option to be there. DAYS to get laundry back? Oh FFS.

As far as having the rooms ready, then maybe they should eliminate FTTF getting that perk or reduce the amount sold. But I don't see them doing that because it's pure profit for Carnival. Of course increasing crew to clean cabins won't happen, either. I like that benefit and I hope it stays.

I really don't see the perks "costing" Carnival much of anything with the exception of the little gift which probably amounts to what, a couple bucks per person?

It's been awhile since I've sailed Celebrity and I know they have changed their loyalty program around since then, but it used to take a lot less time to reach their top tiers than it does on Carnival. You could earn extra points by staying in Suites, Concierge Class, etc. I don't remember how it's configured now.

I think to dwindle down the numbers of Platinum, they need to stick with days sailed and make another tier for those with 75-whatever days for in between Platinum and Diamond. Maybe revamp what the people with less than 75 days get. I know that won't be popular with the old way Platinum people. So no matter which way it goes, it's going to stink for someone except for the very top tier of cruisers. It's easy to look down on us little people from up there and make suggestions when it doesn't affect you.

The only thing I know is it will be the final straw that breaks the camel's back for me if I am downgraded or lose out on perks.

AMEN!!! Perks should be for those who have earned them, and not for everyone....and yes, more perks cost more money. In today's world people always want something for nothing....????!!!!:D:D

I've said this for a long time, but I think they will have another tier such as "Platinum Plus" for those that reached Platinum "the hard way" by hitting 75 days instead of 10 potentially shorter cruises.

I predict that regular Platinum will have some of their perks taken away. Not sure what, but it could be anything due to the sheer number of guests that have reached that status. PP will then become kind of like Platinum is now. I could be way off, though. I guess time will tell.

What could they possibly take away from Platinums? The only perks I see that are worth anything is embarkation and debarkation perks, and Captains party. I think we'll stick with Princess where we are at the Elite status. There's no talk of taking "perks" away, and they are nice perks. I can see the SHTF when the changes come out. I've got the popcorn out ready to go!

My DH and I both took enough cruises to qualify as Platinum before the change in 2013, but we are both hovering close to 75 days now. We go on at least 1 cruise a year and since we live in California, we typically leave from Long Beach. I enjoy the perks we get but they aren't the only reason that we cruise Carnival. Heck, our 14 year old daughter is Platinum now too, since she's been on so many cruises with us. My favorite perk is the laundry, since I can go home with clean clothes and not have to do a bunch of laundry when I get home!

AMEN!!! Perks should be for those who have earned them, and not for everyone....and yes, more perks cost more money. In today's world people always want something for nothing....????!!!!:D:D

So how many days or dollars should one have to spend to be considered worthy of what Carnival says we will get by remaining loyal to them?

I don't want something for nothing. I am spending money with them and in return Carnival says I will get these little extras that really don't cost them anything in the grand scheme of things. I HAVE EARNED them according to their program. I'm not asking to be comped a higher status, I'm not demanding a refund for my cruise because we missed a port, or OBC because of some off the wall complaint. I'm asking for what I have EARNED according to Carnival's program.

What could they possibly take away from Platinums? The only perks I see that are worth anything is embarkation and debarkation perks, and Captains party. I think we'll stick with Princess where we are at the Elite status. There's no talk of taking "perks" away, and they are nice perks. I can see the SHTF when the changes come out. I've got the popcorn out ready to go!

Yeah like I said, I don't know what they will take away, but I'm sure they will find something.

With the prices on the rise and the steady decline in value, I'm seriously thinking about going back to Celebrity. I've been saying it for awhile, but I think if things change for the worse with this latest restructuring, it might just give me the nudge I need. I'm Select over there. Can't remember what that gets me exactly, but oh well. I have an Open Passages Certificate I still need to use anyway.

The Past Guest parties from what I hear are much more manageable than in the past. If they need to they can split it up over two parties.

I really don't care too much about the laundry because I would probably be too paranoid about them ruining it. But I would still like the option to be there. DAYS to get laundry back? Oh FFS.

As far as having the rooms ready, then maybe they should eliminate FTTF getting that perk or reduce the amount sold. But I don't see them doing that because it's pure profit for Carnival. Of course increasing crew to clean cabins won't happen, either. I like that benefit and I hope it stays.

I really don't see the perks "costing" Carnival much of anything with the exception of the little gift which probably amounts to what, a couple bucks per person?

It's been awhile since I've sailed Celebrity and I know they have changed their loyalty program around since then, but it used to take a lot less time to reach their top tiers than it does on Carnival. You could earn extra points by staying in Suites, Concierge Class, etc. I don't remember how it's configured now.

I think to dwindle down the numbers of Platinum, they need to stick with days sailed and make another tier for those with 75-whatever days for in between Platinum and Diamond. Maybe revamp what the people with less than 75 days get. I know that won't be popular with the old way Platinum people. So no matter which way it goes, it's going to stink for someone except for the very top tier of cruisers. It's easy to look down on us little people from up there and make suggestions when it doesn't affect you.

The only thing I know is it will be the final straw that breaks the camel's back for me if I am downgraded or lose out on perks.

The point is the levels should be a bell curve. It's jammed with the FTTF, Platinum and Diamond people already, as example. HOW, do you speculate that will work when 1/3 or more people "qualify"??? How "fast" do you think that boarding is going to be?

And there sure are a lot of costs involved in perks. As for the laundry- yes, it WILL take longer, with larger numbers of people using it, do you think they are going to add staff and more machines- in an already crowded, limited space? Again as an example.

Not sure why you think you're being "looked" down upon? Some people have sailed a lot more than you, but they were once in the same place you may be in now. Not everyone- did 3 day cruises. They paid for those sailings (before all the freebies there are today).

It may be of benefit to try other cruise lines. There are a lot of great ships and itineraries out there, that Carnival does not offer. There are differences you may find more to your liking.

Just booked our first cruise with MSC and they matched our loyalty status. Also booked Yacht Club for almost the same price we pay on Carnival. Prices are going up...

I've looked at this, but haven't made the jump. They did match my status.

At this point I'm not a fan of their limited itineraries from Miami.

Yeah like I said, I don't know what they will take away, but I'm sure they will find something.

With the prices on the rise and the steady decline in value, I'm seriously thinking about going back to Celebrity. I've been saying it for awhile, but I think if things change for the worse with this latest restructuring, it might just give me the nudge I need. I'm Select over there. Can't remember what that gets me exactly, but oh well. I have an Open Passages Certificate I still need to use anyway.

Try Princess, it is a lot like Carnival used to be and even have nice production shows.

Well, I am supposed to turn Platinum on my 2017 NYE cruise....I hope they don't screw that up for me.:confused:

When are they announcing this new plan? I wonder if MSC's status match plan is impacting this change.

Supposed to be announcing it soon so it could mean 1 to 6 months.