So how can RCCL top the Oasis Class

I'd like to see ships more outwardly focused again. That is my main gripe with Oasis-class. The ships are incredible but they disconnect the guest from the sea.

I think a design like MSC Seaside is the next sea-change in the industry creating more outdoor space and centralizing hotel spaces.

We lived on the waterfront when we were on the breakaway and thought the same thing. The waterfront along with H2O RCCL really needs to steal both from NCL.

Taking that to the extreme I'd like too see them ditch the center promenade design, squeeze that part of the ship together and put everything that was there along the outside of the ship on a waterfront type deal.

I agree. I'd like to see a "reimagined" oasis class connecting the passengers wither the sea. A return to a true outdoor promenade areas with bars and restaurants.

Edited by Tommy3putts

I would like to see the Viking Crown lounge restored to everyone so there would be one inside bar with a view of the ocean. Then build the lounge and Coastal Kitchen for the upper tiers along the side of the ship somewhere else.

Or leave the upper tiers in the former VC Lounge and build an bar/lounge on the side of the ship for everyone else to have an inside bar with a view of the ocean.

Edited by KansasK

I agree. I'd like to see a "reimagined" oasis class connecting the passengers wither the sea. A return to a true outdoor promenade areas with bars and restaurants.

As others have already mentioned -- MSC Seaside & CCL Vista are the answers. Check out their deck plans and promo videos... looks awesome. I don't know... sailing to Falmouth, Nassau and Cozumel for the 5000th time just cannot be appealing to the mass market. Now add the other cruise lines putting in huge ships (add NCL and Princess to the mix) in South Florida going to the exact same ports...

This reminds me of real estate crashes. At some point, in some way, there will be an oversupply and the pendulum will swing the other way. Or RCL will have to relieve the "over-berthing" by sending one or more of the Oasis girls overseas permanently (ie. the Oz and Asia rumors?). I for one am only sailing Harmony strictly for the ship and even more strictly for the deal I got those first few days when the prices were ridiculously cheap. You can now find $649 interiors (with perks!!!) and several Oasis/Allure sailings, this is less expensive than most all Jewel and Adventure sailings out of San Juan for example. Just my 2 cents.

We tried the Quantum class with Ovation last month. Both of us were worried beforehand as this was by far the biggest ship we have been on. Both of us fell hopelessly in love. Given half a chance, we would only sail Quantum class now, but due to the current locations of the ships, unfortunately this is not practical.

Corinna

Hi Corinna, I have to agree. There is so much to love about Quantum class ships! It was great meeting you on Ovation.

We now have 42 nights between Quantum and Ovation and there is so much to like about the class. 270, the Music Hall and Seaplex are all incredible venues. The indoor pool area was the only pool we used as we traveled through some very hot parts of the world. The Solarium was also a great place to hang out.

Our main complaint is with dining but not for the reason that is usually given. We love the Dynamic Dining concept. The problem is that after a while the food became very repetitive. Not bad, just not enough variety. Even though they supposedly changed menus every few days we always seemed to get the same one!

As for how to top Oasis class - they need to take the best features of Oasis and Quantum and provide the ocean views you get with Radiance class. Now that would be a ship I could sail all of the time. But they may need magician designers to pull that off!

There is no question they could always go bigger. However just because you can do something, doesn't always mean it is a could idea and you should do it. I suppose I am in the less is more way of thinking. Not a huge fan of the behemoths of the seas.

Shipbuilding, by its time lag nature, tends towards boom and bust cycles of overcapacity. It takes a really clear crystal ball to navigate the market well. Will RCI or anyone build a ship larger than Oasis? Maybe. There were questions regarding the fire and lifesaving capabilities of these ships by both the IMO and the classification societies, so I'm not sure either entity is ready to move forward with even higher passenger counts. And without these entities onboard, nothing is going to float.

My money would be on ships more along the Quantum size.

Edited by chengkp75

I like Oasis and Radiance class ships for different reasons. There is not that much to see in the Caribbean, so an internally focused ship like Oasis is fine with all its unique features. But if I am going to Alaska or some other place where the view is important, I prefer the outward orientation of the Radiance class. So if there were a way to open up the Oasis class to more outward views... eg from the elevators, and other public areas. Also, I burn easily so I love the quiet areas you find on other class ships where you can sit under cover with a view of the ocean. So if there was a way to have a promenade deck... like the older class ships, some more views to the outside from various public areas... that would be great. If you dont have a balcony cabin on Oasis, you are challenged to see anything outside of the ship without going to the boardwalk, pool deck or solarium.

Yeah I don't think again its the idea of building bigger ships, you can make them as large as you like. It all lies in buoyancy, same principles apply the larger the ships get. The question is where can even bigger ships sail to? Oasis are limited. Quantum size had trouble getting Bermuda to dredge, bigger ships, bigger problems. And I just want to say I LOVE the big ships, too big to me does not exist.

Edited by JAMESCC

one more improvement for Oasis.... bring back the viking lounge or something like it for regular folks. One of my favorite spots to sit and read in the afternoon when it is hot... and enjoy a beverage.

Guest maddycat
I would like to see the Viking Crown lounge restored to everyone so there would be one inside bar with a view of the ocean. Then build the lounge and Coastal Kitchen for the upper tiers along the side of the ship somewhere else.

Or leave the upper tiers in the former VC Lounge and build an bar/lounge on the side of the ship for everyone else to have an inside bar with a view of the ocean.

On the Quantum class ships Two 70 has great views of the ocean along with a very nice inside bar.

I totally get the comments about missing the promenade deck outdoor space. But one of things I love about Oasis class is the jogging track on that deck. There is nothing worse than trying to navigate the track on the top deck in between sunbathers who move around all the lounge chairs or people leisurely walking to and fro. yes, I know I can get up early or use the gym instead, there is always an option. I just really enjoy it the way it is.

Agree some version of the Viking Crown lounge should come back. That truly is a loss.

After reading the comments about Waterfront on the NCL Breakaway, I had to go youtube it.

I agree that something like this would be a nice addition to RCCL ships. I mean, who doesn't love outdoor drinking and dining with a view of the water (at least when the weather is nice!)

This looked like the starboard side of the ship. What is on the port side, same deck?

Also a lot of the the talk is about ship features, but there is more to cruising than just the physical ship. Of course, they've already thought about this quite a bit and the overall experience is already a good reflection of it... but, I'm sure there are some novel things in store for the future.

irun5k, It is a pretty much the same on the other side, with some of the restaurants also having their outdoor seating there.

Went on the Breakaway in December and even though the weather wasn't the best, I loved the waterfront. (but then again, I love the quiet seating on the promenade level)

Agree some version of the Viking Crown lounge should come back. That truly is a loss.

We liked going up to the VCL, too.

But not many others did (or do), even on the smaller ships. On the Oasis and Allure- the VCL was HUGE, and very, very empty.

It's new "equivalent" is 270- which has people in it all of the time, all day long.

Seems like a good trade, when you look at usage.

Edited by alfaeric

I didn't start this thread to complain and don't think my original post reads as such. And if you read my Oasis review or even just look at my signature, you'll know how I feel about the Oasis class. Just hoping they continue to stay ahead of the curve.

Speaking of staying ahead of the curve. If curves continue they can end up back where they started. The things I would like clearly aren't in demand, but maybe they will come back. I'd settle for all inclusive and simplified pricing.

Based on pictures alone, RC topped the Oasis class with the Quantum class IMO. Those ships are absolutely breath taking in every aspect to me and so "modern". I sure wish Florida would get one some day. I want to cruise on Anthem so bad.

Based on pictures alone, RC topped the Oasis class with the Quantum class IMO. Those ships are absolutely breath taking in every aspect to me and so "modern". I sure wish Florida would get one some day. I want to cruise on Anthem so bad.

I'll share my take on that...

As you said, I think that with Q Class, Royal really excelled with the interior styles and design and did top Oasis Class in that regard. Places like the Windjammer, some of the dining rooms, the cabins, and even the hallways are truly beautiful IMO - very classy. Having a very large art and design background, the style and design of ships really stick out to me. It's a shame that some might not really notice or appreciate how nice these ships actually look.

With that said, I'm not sure if Royal excelled with the logistical design of Q Class. From pictures and deck plans, some areas look a bit choppy with a not-so-great flow. However, I do believe that was caused by the addition of areas like Two70 which are not as central as some of the main venues on earlier ships were. I do believe that Royal made Q Class the best that it could be given their size.

Looking at pictures of Harmony, many of the design aspects of Q Class have been carried over, so honestly, that is the best of both worlds IMO. I love the entire set up of Oasis Class and the flow that these ships provide. I really don't think we'll see anything comparable to the set-up of those ships in the near future.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what Royal's next idea ends up being. However, with new ships in the Oasis Class ordered until 2021, I don't see anything truly groundbreaking until after that, and even then I don't think they'll be bigger than Oasis Class.

I'm still crossing my fingers for a new smaller class similar to the size of Voyager, but I won't hold my breath. The footprint of the new Celebrity Edge Class would be perfect!!! ;)

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

I'd like to see new Radiance class size ships that can fit into the smaller ports of call as well as ports of embarkation.

RCCL has said the smaller ships just aren't profitable enough. I don't think they'll ever do small ships again. Lets face it, RCI is the mega ship company. I love it, but I can understand some don't.

I'd like to see ships more outwardly focused again. That is my main gripe with Oasis-class. The ships are incredible but they disconnect the guest from the sea.

I think a design like MSC Seaside is the next sea-change in the industry creating more outdoor space and centralizing hotel spaces.

100% agree. If I didn't have an oceanview facing balcony on my Allure sailing, I would've been very disappointed. I cruise to be on the water and I didn't feel like I was on the water unless I was on the balcony or at the Aqua Theatre.

RCCL has said the smaller ships just aren't profitable enough. I don't think they'll ever do small ships again. Lets face it, RCI is the mega ship company. I love it, but I can understand some don't.

I can live with all mega ships, but what I am worried about is the fact that with ships growing larger and larger, less ports become accessible (i.e. Vancouver, Baltimore, Key West, Tampa, etc). I cruise for a mixture of ports and ship, so I don't want to see the more "exotic" destinations disappear. The size of Quantum Class seems to fit the bill of a large ship that can call at most ports.

Under Royal Caribbean Cruises, the separation of the 3 main brands is becoming more and more evident. Royal Caribbean International is moving towards mega ships with groundbreaking venues and entertainment, Celebrity is moving towards more midsized (but still large) ships that are more intimate and can travel to more destinations, and Azamara has always been the small-ship line. I am okay with this structure and it does make sense, I just hope RCI doesn't sacrifice amazing ports for the sake of larger ships. If they do, I may be trying Celebrity.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser