A few Gem questions....

wezie

On the Gem now (docked at Port Canaveral so I might disappear once we head out in a few minutes). The kid's menu is the same for every restaurant - Mac & cheese, hot dog, burger, chicken strips, peanut butter & jelly sandwich and probably one or two more things that I'm missing. Children are welcome to order from the adults menu (my 9 and 12 year old have found plenty of things there to eat). In the upcharge restaurants the kids can order from the kids menu at no charge or from the adult menu at half price.

My cousin was able to order pepperoni pizza for her daughter and another was able to get spaghetti with meat sauce. They requested the pasta since the only thing off the kids menu he was able to eat was the chicken noodle soup...even a 19 month can get tired of that after a few meals.

Sent from my iPhone u

• 4 weeks later...
On the Gem now (docked at Port Canaveral so I might disappear once we head out in a few minutes). The kid's menu is the same for every restaurant - Mac & cheese, hot dog, burger, chicken strips, peanut butter & jelly sandwich and probably one or two more things that I'm missing. Children are welcome to order from the adults menu (my 9 and 12 year old have found plenty of things there to eat). In the upcharge restaurants the kids can order from the kids menu at no charge or from the adult menu at half price.

I think kids pay full price in the specialty restaurants now.

If that is true, that is ridiculous. And will definitely impact whether we book a dining package.

Kids still can order at no additional charge from the kid's menu, but my understanding is if they want a steak at Cagney's they pay the full, regular price. This is from: https://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/family-cruises/cruise-dining-and-entertainment

Kids 3-years old and younger always eat for free. Kids 12 and under eat free from the complimentary kids' menu at all specialty restaurants.

The special kid's half off pricing was ended a year ago if I remember correctly.

Is a main dining room open for lunch on sea days? How about the Asian restaurant?

The Orchid Garden on the Gem is really awful. Mediocre food at best, coupled with lots of noise from the piano bar area below. Truly an easy miss on this ship.

Imho, best place on the Gem for lunch on sea days: the Great Outdoors.

Enjoy your cruise!

Kids still can order at no additional charge from the kid's menu, but my understanding is if they want a steak at Cagney's they pay the full, regular price. This is from: https://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/family-cruises/cruise-dining-and-entertainment

The special kid's half off pricing was ended a year ago if I remember correctly.

Right, the 1/2 off price kids specialty restaurants ended under the early days of FDR.

The Orchid Garden on the Gem is really awful. Mediocre food at best, coupled with lots of noise from the piano bar area below. Truly an easy miss on this ship.

Imho, best place on the Gem for lunch on sea days: the Great Outdoors.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thats a shame. I'm not into grill food at a counter for lunch and don't love the buffet. So, is a main dining room open at lunch every day?

Thats a shame. I'm not into grill food at a counter for lunch and don't love the buffet. So, is a main dining room open at lunch every day?

Yes, at least one of the main dinning rooms will always be open for breakfast and lunch very day. Make sure you check your freestyle for times and location.

I found I missed breakfast very day and wasn't hungry for lunch after breakfast at the buffet, but if was open regardless if we went or not.

We ate at the asian joint during out cruise in February and didn't mind it at all and really enjoyed that we got to be right next to all of the music from the piano bar below, we had some nice soup to end the night and listened to the people singing right under us.

Everything is subjective. Everything the poster above did not like about it we did.

Yes, at least one of the main dinning rooms will always be open for breakfast and lunch very day. Make sure you check your freestyle for times and location.

I found I missed breakfast very day and wasn't hungry for lunch after breakfast at the buffet, but if was open regardless if we went or not.

There is an MDR open for breakfast every day, and for lunch on embarkation day and seas days, but in almost all cases there is no MDR open on port days. In the past an MDR would be open on port days, but that was eliminated several years ago, with only an occasional exception.