Feedback requested: Solstice AK Cruise Tracy Arm Fjord - Spetember 2017

jenniebnyc

Hi: Can someone please shed some light on being located on the port side of the ship for this itinerary? First time on a cruise to Alaska. This cruise is roundtrip from Seattle. Will we miss many of the sites not being starboard? Also, I know weather is hit or miss with no guarantees, but what about traveling to AK in early September? Pros and Cons? Not to miss excursions? Thanks is advance.

We sailed the Solstice back in May and were in a celebrity suite on deck 11 port side. I didn't think our view lacked for anything! I enjoyed the views in each port, both entering and departing. There is so much beauty all around that I feel like everyone gets a great view!

We did Alaska on the Solstice in September 2014. Weather was good and the ports were not crowded as we were about the last ship of the season. There were some great bargains to be found as the stores needed to reduce their inventory before shutting down till the spring. Same for inventory in the shops on board.

Enjoy!

Doing a RT from Seattle on the Solstice, it doesn't really matter which side you are on. Since it is a roundtrip, each side will have a chance to be on the land side. And the Captain will turn the ship will in the fjord, so that all sides can get a view. That being said, while in the fjord....GET OUT ON DECK!!!! Even if it is raining...so worth it. Just put on the layers and get outside!

We have done this cruise several times. You will have an amazing time. Alaska is truly incredible. I prefer it over Norway....the mountains are awe inspiring.

You absolutely need to pack for all kinds of weather. I've done this cruise twice now. The first time was in June and it was cold!!! I never changed out of long jeans and a hoody. I would compare going through the Fjord like sticking your head in the freezer. It was chilly. The second time I went in late July and the weather was perfect and even warm. T-shirts and shorts weather. I'm not sure about September. Also keep in mind that Alaska is a rain forest. It rains. June had a lot of misty days. July had no rain.

Ketchikan is an adorable town. You can download a walking map from the internet and walk around on your own. The Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show is held here and it's a ton of fun. You can easily walk to it from the docks. I didn't buy through the cruise line either time and had no issues. http://alaskanlumberjackshow.com/

There is a ton of stuff to do in Juneau. The first time I went through the cruise line and did a tour which included going to a salmon hatchery, a museum and the Mendenhall Glacier. The glacier is an absolute must! The second time I booked a whale watching tour through Harv & Marv. The tour was small and amazing. It was 6 of us on a small boat, not 30+ on the crowded boats through the cruise line. The Harv & Marv tour also took us to the glacier. http://www.harvandmarvs.com/

Skagway-The first time here I took a sled dog tour that was organized through the cruise line. It was a ton of fun! The second time I used Skagway Shore Tours and took the Yukon Discovery & Sled Dog Tour. Driving up into the Yukon was awesome. There are numerous stops and tons of stuff to see including Carcross Desert and the Emerald Lake. Don't bother with the sled dog stuff through this tour though. http://skagwayshoretours.com/

Hope that helps some!

In a lot of the towns you can do the excursions yourself for a fraction of the cost.

Rainforest hikes in Ketchikan are simple. The Visitor Center guide will give you lots of information and maps for them all.

Juneau is amazing and definitely do the whale watching. You can get to Mendenhall for $30 (there and back) right from the dock. But I'd still get a whale watching excursion if you can. Such a cool event.

Skagway is a great little town to wander all the shops. And you can rent scooters for cheap and go up into the mountains! (Just watch for bears!)

Victoria is a beautiful town. You have to see the Butchart Gardens and Craigdarroch Castle. Such a wonderful history.

Be sure to pack for cold weather and warm weather. It'll likely be raining at some of your stops and when you're on the water or in the Fjord, it'll be cold (if not freezing!).

Most importantly, have fun!

Edited by JCruise85

In a lot of the towns you can do the excursions yourself for a fraction of the cost.

Rainforest hikes in Ketchikan are simple. The Visitor Center guide will give you lots of information and maps for them all.

Juneau is amazing and definitely do the whale watching. You can get to Mendenhall for $30 (there and back) right from the dock. But I'd still get a whale watching excursion if you can. Such a cool event.

Skagway is a great little town to wander all the shops. And you can rent scooters for cheap and go up into the mountains! (Just watch for bears!)

Victoria is a beautiful town. You have to see the Butchart Gardens and Craigdarroch Castle. Such a wonderful history.

Be sure to pack for cold weather and warm weather. It'll likely be raining at some of your stops and when you're on the water or in the Fjord, it'll be cold (if not freezing!).

Most importantly, have fun!

awesome, thank you!

We cruised end of Aug/beginning of Sept....According to our conceirge we had the best weather of the season! We still needed layers, it was cold when you were out of the sun but really nice.

We did a short tour of the Cascade mountains prior to our cruise, it is very easy to organise a 'circular route' from and to Seattle, an area we loved and want to return to. We also spent a couple of days in Seattle, the fish market and dinner in the Space Needle were both highlights.

In addition to organised tours we did enjoy spending a little time just walking around and soaking in the atmosphere...favourite tour was definately a sea plane trip.

Ship wise, arrange for your butler to bring you a flask of hot chocolate and pastries to enjoy on the balcony on the Tracey Arms Ffiords day and get up really early, he will also provide you with extra blankets if you ask him. Check times you are leaving ports...Tuscan Grill gives you great evening views as you leave ports...

Have a wonderful cruise!

Best is aft cabin. As you are going up the Fjord. Brent Nixon, the naturalist gives a running commentary pointing out things which may be on the opposite side and not there on the way back.

Our favorite is the aft - corner aft the best. Definitely don't miss Brent Nixon's lectures.

Unless an aft opens up stay where you are, you'll see plenty, if not on the way up, then on the way down.

I posted pics on another thread somewhere, you can search "Sept." and probably get it. The last cruise of the season, was glorious weather. Of course we are talking Alaska here, but we booked aft again in Sept. coming up!