Childrens ID

We are traveling with our son and his family. Grandchildren are 16 & 14. They have passports. Not wanting to take their passports off the ship could we make photo copies and bring them to get on and off the ship?? Of course, they would have their sea pass card too. What do other parents do for their childrens ID??

Thanks,

Carol

Only 16 and older need photo ID to get on and off the ship at ports which require it. Does the 16 year old have a driving permit from the DMV with a photo on it? (That's what my children used when they were 16)? Otherwise he/she can get a non-driver's state issued photo ID at the DMV.

We are traveling with our son and his family. Grandchildren are 16 & 14. They have passports. Not wanting to take their passports off the ship could we make photo copies and bring them to get on and off the ship?? Of course, they would have their sea pass card too. What do other parents do for their childrens ID??

Thanks,

Carol

You are asking a question that no one has the answer for. The photo ID, is communicated to passengers as an item one must have to go through check points. Those check points are controlled by Government officials of different countries. Some check points, they do not look at any ID, and others want to see your id and actually look at it. Photo copies of ID's are not ID's. They may accept it, or not. Also remember that in the US, the legal age is 18, but in other countries it is younger.

So the rule is to have a government issued photo ID, (not a copy). In the Bahamas I have witnessed people detained without ID's, but they were arguing with the police (like that's a good idea) that they have the ship card.

With the info you have and know, you can make your own choices, and determine your own risks. IF you have a DL or Permit, than that is fine. If not, the local laws will prevail, and you will take an unnecessary chance over a choice being made of convenience.

Just sailed with our children (15, 13, 12) last week. Kids did not have photo ID and we had no issue going through security at the ports. Had no issue crossing Canadian/US border with only their birth certificate. Going through customs after getting off ship, the officer gave us a hard time about not having photo ID for kids.

Just sailed with our children (15, 13, 12) last week. Kids did not have photo ID and we had no issue going through security at the ports. Had no issue crossing Canadian/US border with only their birth certificate. Going through customs after getting off ship, the officer gave us a hard time about not having photo ID for kids.

Typical, since the CBP website says that 15 and under can enter the US with BC only.

Honestly, just take their passports. I know it's a pain as you have to keep them somewhere safe. My husband wears a hidden money belt when we travel and we keep the passports there. To me it's worth it to avoid issues when trying to get back on.

The 14 year old doesn't need a photo ID at all....the 16 year old will need one to board the ship...probably not to get back on at ports, tho.

Bring your DL's for ID's ashore...much easier than the passports, as they are the same size as your seapass.

I'm not sure if some states have an age cut-off, but I just got my 3 and 6 year olds Michigan state IDs for this purpose, and it only cost $10 each. I was shocked at how easy and cheap it was! That being said, they were not asked for IDs in the Bahamas this April, even though the adults needed them.

Ages 15 and under don't need photo ID.

Ages 16+ need government-issued photo ID.

For my teenaged son and me, we take our Passport Cards when going ashore. This gives us photo ID to get access back into the port, while also having a smaller, waterproof way of handling the whole thing. Passport books aren't very convenient for water activities. ;)

Going through customs after getting off ship, the officer gave us a hard time about not having photo ID for kids.

That's laughable. Even with a child's passport that is good for 5 years, a child's appearance can change so much that for many, a photo ID is useless unless it's very recent.

They should both have school ids with their photos. That qualifies as a state ID

I'm sure some have been accepted, but I'd be very leary of relying on a school ID. Seems like the kind of thing that is very likely to be questioned, especially since they aren't actually issued by a state government.

Is this a US based question? When we cruised the Norwegian Fjords I don't recall taking our passports off the ship, we got on and off with our Seapass (or whatever the P&0 equivalent is called).

We will soon be visiting Greece and Turkey (bit worried given the dreadful terrorist attack there yesterday) and wouldn't think to take passport off the ship. I guess having spent 25 years holidaying in Europe leaving passports in the safe of wherever we were staying, it wouldn't dawn on us to take them anywhere! Am I missing something?

Is this a US based question? When we cruised the Norwegian Fjords I don't recall taking our passports off the ship, we got on and off with our Seapass (or whatever the P&0 equivalent is called).

We will soon be visiting Greece and Turkey (bit worried given the dreadful terrorist attack there yesterday) and wouldn't think to take passport off the ship. I guess having spent 25 years holidaying in Europe leaving passports in the safe of wherever we were staying, it wouldn't dawn on us to take them anywhere! Am I missing something?

Some of the ports frequented by US based cruises require photo ID in addition to SeaPass card to get to the pier. Nassau is one that comes to mind that always seems to check the photo ID.

Thanks everyone! The 16 year old has a PA drivers permit. The 14 year old, as some say, won't need an ID. I know that in some ports the security wants to see a photo ID. I remember Puerto Rico in particular a few years ago. I'm seeing their parents this weekend and will let them know what I found out from all of your posts. Thanks again.

Carol