Low flying jets buzzin cruise ships

Exactly how is the FAA going to do that? It was a French military plane and I'm assuming, a French military pilot. The FAA governs American civil aviation. Further, it wasn't even an American ship that was involved.

:confused: Having not seen the video or story on TV, and while you are right on the FAA not having jurisdiction in Bermuda or Bahamas, what makes you think it was a French military plane? I don't recall France ever having a military base in Bermuda (English Commonwealth) or the Bahamas.

While these flybys are mostly a bit of showboating by the pilots and aren't harmful or scary per se, they can become so if one country's military plane buzzes another country's naval vessel, as did happen recently several time in the Baltic Sea, and does so with fire control systems on.:eek:

:confused: Having not seen the video or story on TV, and while you are right on the FAA not having jurisdiction in Bermuda or Bahamas, what makes you think it was a French military plane? I don't recall France ever having a military base in Bermuda (English Commonwealth) or the Bahamas.

It was a French surveillance jet. It's not uncommon for Allied planes to do tours out of Allied bases.

This seems to be a huge non-issue. Im willing to bet it was just some rich person getting kicks. I doubt it is some unmarked French spy plane trying to see how many pieces of bacon somebody was eating on lido.

This seems to be a huge non-issue. Im willing to bet it was just some rich person getting kicks. I doubt it is some unmarked French spy plane trying to see how many pieces of bacon somebody was eating on lido.

The video I saw was very grainy but it certainly looked like a private Leer type jet to me. If Aquahound says it was a French military jet thats exactly what I will go with though.

Much ado about nothing though for sure. I just wish I had been there to witness it.

Edited by ryano

I doubt it is some unmarked French spy plane trying to see how many pieces of bacon somebody was eating on lido.

See this article and read at the bottom where it says the French have already apologized. It was a French Falcon jet.

http://bernews.com/2016/06/video-posted-plane-buzzes-norwegian-cruise-ship-bermuda/

The video I saw was very grainy but it certainly looked like a private Leer type jet to me. If Aquahound says it was a French military jet thats exactly what I will go with though.

Much ado about nothing though for sure. I just wish I had been there to witness it.

After crossing the Pacific, we had some US jets come out from Hawaii and look us over. It was quite thrilling seeing them so up close and personal. After about 5 minutes they were away.

It was a French surveillance jet. It's not uncommon for Allied planes to do tours out of Allied bases.

See this article and read at the bottom where it says the French have already apologized. It was a French Falcon jet.

http://bernews.com/2016/06/video-posted-plane-buzzes-norwegian-cruise-ship-bermuda/

Thanks for confirming Aquahound.

Back in the day when ships had skeet shooting off the fantail (aft/rear of ship main deck for non-swabbies) , I'm sure this would have been a great time to say "PULL".:D

Have been camping near a dam between VA and N Carolina and had jets doing practice bombing runs before. they have been using it for practice. Military does this all the time and its not just a hot dog pilot having fun. They are out there to save us not blow us up, even the French

Ok, retracting my doubt about it being a French plane since it has been confirmed. I still think it is a huge deal over nothing.

I for one would have been really pissed (if I didn't have my camera with me to capture the plane flying by). "Near miss" and people saying it was scary is definitely people being overly dramatic. It would have been so cool to see.

This is a total non-issue. The French-made Dassault Falcon is mostly used as a private jet, and although the military may use it, it carries no armaments at all. I've flown them- nice aircraft, and there should be no concerns at all. Just a little post-9/11 paranoia here. Enjoy the sight! :cool:

Of my last 5 3 day trips to Baja on Carnival we have had 3 buzz jobs. Missed the first one during lunch and several passengers commented it was a normal thing. Stayed outside on the other trips on the last day and saw them. makes you glad they are on side.

• 2 months later...
Just seen on ABC World News about a Norwegian ship in Bermuda had 2 fighter planes fly right over it without permission from Bermuda also recently happened in Hawaii and in the Bahamas any speculation as to why this is occurring? Google to see video .Crazy if u ask me

Years ago I was on the qe2 on the way to Bermuda and we were buzzed by 2 fighter jets. Was a site to see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel as though this is a pilot just showing off and having "fun". but I'm sorry, this is unwarranted, and as harmless as it looks is very dangerous. if the faa gets the registration on the plane and finds out the pilot operating the controls, he or she will have their license suspended indefinitely.

Please tell me how the FAA can suspend the license of a foreign military aircraft.

DON

Many years ago, I worked on ships and one of my crewmates had a brother who flew fighter jets. We would get regular fly-bys, like those on the video but at faster speeds, anytime we were in the area of the base while the base was conducting training.

I also had the opportunity to see various reconnaissance aircraft similar to the type in the video. They are used for multiple scenarios including, visually or electronically identifying ships, detecting and recording oil spills from ships, etc.

In both cases low flying practice makes perfect.

This is a total non-issue. The French-made Dassault Falcon is mostly used as a private jet, and although the military may use it, it carries no armaments at all. I've flown them- nice aircraft, and there should be no concerns at all. Just a little post-9/11 paranoia here. Enjoy the sight! :cool:

After watching the video, I concur with loubetti: definitely a non-combat light transport plane that took a broad swing around the ship's port side. By the time people noticed it, the pilot would have been hard-put to crash the plane into the ship even had he desired to.

Still, a fun exclamation point to a day at sea.