Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

The people past final payment who can't cancel without penalty have mostly been notified. But those before final payment who could cancel have not been notified. My final payment is due August 1st and I have not yet been notified.

I cruise the end of October so i'm expecting NCL's notification in September, too late to do anything about it -- if I hadn't read it here on CC.

So what are you going to do about it ?

Again, I'm not unsympathetic to this, even though it is not particularly bothersome to me; but how many deposited bookings have been canceled since this was rolled out? I'd seriously guess zero people have gone to cancel trips they already had a deposit on. Future plans altered? Sure, I can easily believe that. But I don't believe anyone is giving up an already planned vacation over this.

For some who knows. It may be the last straw. I'm still holding out hope that NCL will use this as an opportunity to just include water bottles, speciality coffees and canned soda in their UBP.

Their model for the UBP perk and liquid restriction seems hard at work to make more money than no perk at all. Of course one can live within the parameters of the perk and liquid restriction but ncl's is the most exclusionary. Sure you can drink the included coffee from the buffet, soda from a gun and water from your sink but it's painfully obvious at this point in the thread that people don't want that. I really don't think there's anything wrong with them making more profit but this new liquid rule just makes the nature of their profit tactics more unpalatable to the consumer. All of a sudden everyone seems to know that the other lines have beverage packages that include potentially hundreds of $ more than NCL's package includes and the competition costs less. Now that many consumers realize that these fees and exclusions are often bumping the total vacation costs way up, many will start choosing lines that offer perks like, free UNLImITED internet, free inclusive beverage packages, obc vs a $50 per cabin per port limit shore excursion credit.

Consumers are savy and will vote with their pocketbooks in the end so I certainly hope NCL announces soon some sort of change to their UBP and beverage costs. The competition is not all that different any longer now that they are overall comparably priced and offer improved suite experiences and relaxed dress codes.

I like my NCL cruises so I hope that they continue to be profitable. I think they can figure out ways to make more money while at the same time offer the consumer something more as well. They had to have known the backlash of this change which is why I do hold out a little hope that this was a calculated decision and next move is an increase in the UBP fees but inclusion of water bottles, speciality coffee and soda cans. I don't think a service fee of some sort for byo liquids is out of line either. An Included UBP at $20-25/day cost is still better than a $100/day UBP. And this time they won't have all the backlash from people who doubt where the 18% goes. It simply goes to NCL.

The people past final payment who can't cancel without penalty have mostly been notified. But those before final payment who could cancel have not been notified. My final payment is due August 1st and I have not yet been notified.

I cruise the end of October so i'm expecting NCL's notification in September, too late to do anything about it -- if I hadn't read it here on CC.

My final payment was due weeks ago and still no notification. Too bad for those who believe NCL will keep them informed of changes. Cruise Critic reading is a must when it comes to NCL.

Thank you for trying to explain that to the newbie, but I suspect they won't believe it. They previously said they didn't believe NCL changed the policy, and when I pointed out that they could verify this, they skirt the issue of not believing and start rattling off how they are protected by their contract. With the 2 posts they had on this board, they are suddenly experts.

Contracts are not all the same, uk/eu have implied terms that cannot be overridden in the written one that mean the brochure and web site(at the time of bookings) form part of the contract unless the customer is notified of any changes during the booking process.

This means that bookings in those regions the supply is for a lot more than just the basics.

This particular change(if contractual) would be classed as minor giving the consumer few options, refund would not be an option, if it could be shown that bringing water/soda on was an amenity that has been removed there may be scope for some compensation.

Without having another read through web an brochures I can't tell if this could be considered an amenity covered by T&Cs.

I'm 75 days from sailing and I haven't received any notification whatsoever. It will be interesting to see how the new rule is implemented and enforced.

I feel sorry for the port employees who will be dealing with unhappy passengers. They'll be on the receiving end of a lot of anger even though the rule wasn't made by them.

I'm 75 days from sailing and I haven't received any notification whatsoever. It will be interesting to see how the new rule is implemented and enforced.

I feel sorry for the port employees who will be dealing with unhappy passengers. They'll be on the receiving end of a lot of anger even though the rule wasn't made by them.

I agree, there will be a lot of disappointed people checking in and losing their water etc.

With the confiscation of the beverages and water if NCL and their hired thugs

ah er security don't have plans to offer it to a charity food shelf - I would just

as soon open and pour it out right in front of them - no spoils of BAD ILL

TIMED NOTIFICATION will NCL benefit from this.

NCL is making a mess out of my beverage plans turn about is fair play.

The jerks running NCL should have make their beverage manifesto at least

9 months out or at the start of 2017 in order for all parties to consider

changing of reservations out of the penalty zone with enough time to rebook

another cruise line or something else. Contract terms options B.ll $..t NCL

is great for making ill timed decisions i.e. taking food from restaurant/buffet

to stateroom. Shoot themselves in the foot and then put foot in mouth.

Oh well Stupid is what Stupid does - hope I last till my watership down cruise

is over !

That is enough of my soap box oration I need a drink but NCL is very forthcoming !

I stand corrected. I truly did not anticipate that response.

My unease over the general direction of NCL has been building for a while. Again, many of the changes didn't/wouldn't impact me at all. I'm just big on communications with adequate time to consider a change.

Had they given until, say, 1/1/17 before it started (or a date beyond those in final payment), I might have not liked it (again, Coke drinker only here), but I might have seen it as adequate communication of a change.

I have felt for a while that there would be that "one change" that would tip the balance for me.

This just happened to be it (especially since I found out on CC many, many hours before I received an e-mail from NCL). :rolleyes:

ah er security don't have plans to offer it to a charity food shelf - I would just

as soon open and pour it out right in front of them - no spoils of BAD ILL

TIMED NOTIFICATION will NCL benefit from this.

NCL is making a mess out of my beverage plans turn about is fair play.

The jerks running NCL should have make their beverage manifesto at least

9 months out or at the start of 2017 in order for all parties to consider

changing of reservations out of the penalty zone with enough time to rebook

another cruise line or something else. Contract terms options B.ll $..t NCL

is great for making ill timed decisions i.e. taking food from restaurant/buffet

to stateroom. Shoot themselves in the foot and then put foot in mouth.

Oh well Stupid is what Stupid does - hope I last till my watership down cruise

is over !

That is enough of my soap box oration I need a drink but NCL is very forthcoming !

I would wager that causing a scene in the security line and pouring out beverages inside the building( which is where this would take place ) would be enough to either get you denied boarding or arrested . Are you going to stand at the conveyor belt and start pouring out your Coke?( Insert winking emoji here)

NCL really handled this poorly. I am past final without notification. The change doesn't affect me as I am neither a loyalist or one who carries on their own fluids. I only have UBP because it's a perk. We also cruise RCL and they do not allow beverages and they charge the same as NCL for bottled water I have never even heard about carrying on water until I started reading CC.

I hope that all find a cruise line with policies that they can live with.

Edited by Annmeat

ah er security .....

They may be able to get security to check confiscate in the US but UK and many EU ports the local security don't check or care about liquids of any kind.

NCL will have to rescan all the bags and hand luggage themselves unless they get local to change their policy.

BCN, Civitavecchia, Venice, Copenhagen are the cruises to watch for reports of how they have implemented the policy.

NCL really handled this poorly. I am past final without notification. The change doesn't affect me as I am neither a loyalist or one who carries on their own fluids. I only have UBP because it's a perk. We also cruise RCL and they do not allow beverages and they charge the same as NCL for bottled water I have never even heard about carrying on water until I started reading CC.

One of the major differenced is that the UBP on RCCL includes bottled water (whereas, NCL does not). ;)

NCL has 15 ships, which average 3,000 passengers per cruise or 1500 cabins and are selling cruises 35 weeks into the future. Therefore in order to notify everyone of the change it would require 787,500 emails (15 x 1,500 x 35) to notify everyone. I cannot see them doing that, as it would probably overload their email system.

Besides if everyone who is registered on Cruise Critic were against this new policy it would be less than 25,000 people complaining. Not very many when over 20 million people cruise each year.

You folks are just beating each other up. Have at it.

NCL has 15 ships, which average 3,000 passengers per cruise or 1500 cabins and are selling cruises 35 weeks into the future. Therefore in order to notify everyone of the change it would require 787,500 emails (15 x 1,500 x 35) to notify everyone. I cannot see them doing that, as it would probably overload their email system.

Besides if everyone who is registered on Cruise Critic were against this new policy it would be less than 25,000 people complaining. Not very many when over 20 million people cruise each year.

You folks are just beating each other up. Have at it.

I am getting Ncl emails promoting their sales, 2-3 times per day, so yea, I think they can handle it.

Edited by janpo

Pffffhh. That amount of emails can be sent within office hours of one working day without any problems, let alone during several working days that have passed since the change was updated to their website.

Pffffhh. That amount of emails can be sent within office hours of one working day without any problems, let alone during several working days that have passed since the change was updated to their website.

**LOVE** your signature block (next to your January cruise). ;) :D

One of the major differenced is that the UBP on RCCL includes bottled water (whereas, NCL does not). ;)

And , as I said, I don't purchase the UBP on either line so I don't care! Most of the people on these "no water, no soda " threads have stated they received the UBP as a perk on NCL.

And , as I said, I don't purchase the UBP on either line so I don't care! Most of the people on these "no water, no soda " threads have stated they received the UBP as a perk on NCL.

I wasn't trying to offend. Just was pointing out the difference between the 2 plans (and, yes, RCCL is also giving away the UBP as a "perk").

Nin order to notify everyone of the change it would require 787,500 emails (15 x 1,500 x 35) to notify everyone. I cannot see them doing that, as it would probably overload their email system.

Nah, that volume of email won't cause an issue for a properly setup corporate email system. Especially as they already have the capability (as mentioned) of sending large volumes of promotional emails.

We've left the days of 300 baud modems FAR behind.

This morning I cancelled two ncl cruises. And I feel empowered and relieved to have cut them loose.

December '16 Panama Canal booked with my 19 year old daughter, where we took the $50 per port excursion credit. Was completely paid for ($4800), with DSC.

Second was a solo 14 day TA cruise for October '17. Had only paid the deposit.

The bigger issue was the upcoming cruise. Ten days cruising, with ports in central and south America, without liberal access to affordable bottled water. Seriously? Whether my ankles swell, or my daughter only drinks bottled water, or there is chlorine or salt, or anything else in the water is not the issue. The issue is that NCL is turning something as basic and necessary as WATER into a commodity and using it to increase their bottom line. I will not give a corporation like that my hard-earned money, and you better believe my 19 year old was even more indignant. You want to increase prices on girly drinks or beer buckets or massages or appetizers at Le Bistro? Go right ahead. But water? Not happening for me.

Looks like London for Christmas. :D

Edited by Jules**