Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.

I agree as well :)

I'm hoping that they implement the inclusion of water, coffee and canned soda to the UBP before my final payment is due. It's a wait and see game for me.

Everyone has their own opinion and mine is that I need my bottled water. I cannot afford their prices since my family of three goes through almost 2 cases of water each week. And yes, we are excellent recyclers!!!

NCL has 15 ships, which average 3,000 passengers per cruise or 1500 cabins and are selling cruises 35 weeks into the future. Therefore in order to notify everyone of the change it would require 787,500 emails (15 x 1,500 x 35) to notify everyone. I cannot see them doing that, as it would probably overload their email system.

Besides if everyone who is registered on Cruise Critic were against this new policy it would be less than 25,000 people complaining. Not very many when over 20 million people cruise each year.

You folks are just beating each other up. Have at it.

My similar thoughts...cc passengers are vocal but very small piece of this mega cruise line...people will forget....and other than us, most dont care.

Not to worry, I have been working hard and should be able to roll out my new product in time for 15th July. I think I should be able cover all NCL embarkation points but all products will be strictly available on a first come, first served basis.

Now, how much will you lovely people give me for a genuine, one-size-fit-all Fremen stillsuit? Very stylish and functional...and I only charge 15%. What the best-dressed NCL cruiser will be wearing in 2016 - perfect for all climates.

Unless something is drastically different, NCL has a contract with the ports that basically says port security has to check for whatever they say they do.. If there is additional cost involved, NCL will have to pay it.

Trying to recall, but on the med cruise I did (not NCL) all the ports we were screened by ship's crew, including embarkation (I think Barcelona did a very cursory check - it's been a while)

They may be able to get security to check confiscate in the US but UK and many EU ports the local security don't check or care about liquids of any kind.

NCL will have to rescan all the bags and hand luggage themselves unless they get local to change their policy.

BCN, Civitavecchia, Venice, Copenhagen are the cruises to watch for reports of how they have implemented the policy.

Nah, that volume of email won't cause an issue for a properly setup corporate email system. Especially as they already have the capability (as mentioned) of sending large volumes of promotional emails.

We've left the days of 300 baud modems FAR behind.

Blast emails of that size are almost always handled by 3rd party database management companies anyways. If you look at advertising from NCL and can see the headers you can usually see where it originated.

What we need is someone who's sailing then to post something here to let us know how anal/crazy/inconvenienced it'll be with going thru security. We know very a many person who's crusin' won't be on CC, nor get an email about the change (or get it an not read it), so I bet this cruise will be a cluster "You know what" of epic proprotions!

I sail on 23 July.. I hope all the bugs are fixed or they bring back their old rules about water and soda.... I may just hang out by the pier this Sat morning and see the crazyiness unfold myself... Sooner or later common sense has to prevail.. At least I hope so..

Unless something is drastically different, NCL has a contract with the ports that basically says port security has to check for whatever they say they do.. If there is additional cost involved, NCL will have to pay it.

Trying to recall, but on the med cruise I did (not NCL) all the ports we were screened by ship's crew, including embarkation (I think Barcelona did a very cursory check - it's been a while)

Never had alcohol checked at embarkation at any EU port.

They know what it is and ignore it.

BCN has a shop AFTER security selling the stuff.

Edited by insidecabin

I'm guessing that's a rhetorical question? That's like asking how did people get around back in the olden days.. Horse and Buggy... But that doesn't mean we should have to ride those in 2016, since we have cars and such.... See what I did there...? ;)

What water did people drink on cruise ships in the good old days before bottled water?

What water did people drink on cruise ships in the good old days before bottled water?

I found this interesting...

"Old ships carried water in wooden casks.

But there's a problem with fresh water, it stagnates easily.

Wine, on the other hand, because it had a sufficient concentration of ethanol,

didn't stagnate and could be preserved for much longer after the cask was opened

and exposed to oxygen and bacteria."

Water was kept for high ranking officers,

while wine was the primary drink for the sailors.

I guess free water will be offered as a perk in the Haven,

or if you get to dine with the Captain.:-)

Edited by $hip$hape

My similar thoughts...cc passengers are vocal but very small piece of this mega cruise line...people will forget....and other than us, most dont care.
This seems to be a familiar refrain .Yes CC has a limited impact and people do move on . But this issue has hit the media and it has been extensively covered by various media outlets both general and specific to cruise interests . I won't forecast whether NCL digs in their heels and accepts any fall out but it is more then just CC .

I found this interesting...

"Old ships carried water in wooden casks.

But there's a problem with fresh water, it stagnates easily.

Wine, on the other hand, because it had a sufficient concentration of ethanol,

didn't stagnate and could be preserved for much longer after the cask was opened

and exposed to oxygen and bacteria."

Water was kept for high ranking officers,

while wine was the primary drink for the sailors.

I guess free water will be offered as a perk in the Haven,

or if you get to dine with the Captain.:-)

Damn.. I wish this was true when I was in the Navy... Those "Cruises" would have been so much better lol...

I read today where Carnival now prohibits any bottled or canned beverages from being carried on at any port.

So it is not just NCL.

I can also see the safety aspects of putting cases of water and soda as luggage - what if the container breaks - now you have water or soda all over other peoples luggage - and NCL must handle all of the claims for damages.

Let alone having to clean up the mess. What if the poor steward injures his back handling the cases of water/soda.

I will agree that NCL could compensate by either reducing the price of bottled water - or including it in the beverage package as other lines have done.

I read today where Carnival now prohibits any bottled or canned beverages from being carried on at any port.

So it is not just NCL.

not exactly. Carnival banned BOTTLES but still allows cans AND they sell water onboard for a VERY reasonable price.

Never had alcohol checked at embarkation at any EU port.

They know what it is and ignore it.

BCN has a shop AFTER security selling the stuff.

Is this the best place to buy wine to take on board? We board on Sunday and I'm not sure there will be too much open to buy booze on a Sunday morning.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

So it is not just NCL.

I can also see the safety aspects of putting cases of water and soda as luggage - what if the container breaks - now you have water or soda all over other peoples luggage - and NCL must handle all of the claims for damages.

Let alone having to clean up the mess. What if the poor steward injures his back handling the cases of water/soda.

I will agree that NCL could compensate by either reducing the price of bottled water - or including it in the beverage package as other lines have done.

Carnival Policy taken from their website:

Liquor and Beverage Policy - Effective July 9, 2015

For safety reasons, guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board with the following exception: At the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day, guests (21 years of age and older) may carry on in their hand luggage, one 750 ml bottle of sealed/unopened wine or champagne per person. A $15 USD corkage fee (a charge exacted at a restaurant for every bottle of wine served that was not bought on the premises), per 750 ml bottle, will be charged should guests wish to consume their wine or champagne in a main dining room, steakhouse or bar.

Guests are also prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages on board that are packaged in bottles. A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought on board on embarkation day, only if carried on in guests’ hand luggage (not in checked luggage). A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person. Any hard liquor, beer, other forms of alcoholic beverage, and non-alcoholic beverages, outside of the exceptions referenced above, are strictly prohibited (in both carry-on and checked luggage) and such items will be confiscated and discarded and no compensation will be provided.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2634/~/liquor-and-beverage-policy-q%26a

not exactly. Carnival banned BOTTLES but still allows cans AND they sell water onboard for a VERY reasonable price.

If NCL sold their water for a more reasonable price and let me bring on cans of Diet Coke, I would find that reasonable.

We prefer bottled Coke to canned, but we could rough it with cans:rolleyes:

We have double wrapped the plastic bottled Cokes and never had a problem with a leak. The airlines have allowed these in our checked luggage.

Whilst I can understand people being upset with changes made to the drinks package, I can't believe there are almost 2000 comments on the subject. I am going on my very first cruise on the Epic in September and reading so much negativity about ncl is not what I want to see in the lead up to my trip.