Dolphin Encounter-Chankanaab Park or Anthony Key in Roatan?

bfoxey1949

We are a family of 25 who will be on Liberty of the Seas Dec.26th. Several want to do the Dolphin Encounter and swim. Our ports are Cozumel and Roatan and we were wondering which encounter would be the best to pick? Chankanaab Park or Anthony Key in Roatan? Any input would be appreciated!!:)

We are a family of 25 who will be on Liberty of the Seas Dec.26th. Several want to do the Dolphin Encounter and swim. Our ports are Cozumel and Roatan and we were wondering which encounter would be the best to pick? Chankanaab Park or Anthony Key in Roatan? Any input would be appreciated!!:)

I can only speak for Chankanaab.

We did it twice.

The first year we were the first group to go out with the dolphins

Had a blast.

Upon arrival you are directed to an area with lockers with keys (inclulded with entrance) and clean restrooms,

Once you are ready you go to the meeting area and they divide you into groups of 7-10.

You go with your guide and camera man out to your section to be with your dolphin.

That year they permitted you to take your water camera.

We had a blast.

Petted dolphin, swam with dolphin, rode dolphin, and he pushed us with our feet.

Awesome experience and pictures to boot!!!!

Second time, last year,

We again went early.

14-15 in a group (really crowded that day)

Cameras not permitted.

Only did two encounters with dolphin, they rotated who did what.

A little disappointed, but had fun.

Now mind you there is more to do here.

The imitation Mayan ruins are awesome.

Different pools

Shows

The beach is clean, and we had a mexican lunch (not included but reasonable)

We left the park at 1:00 ish.

It is nice, but like I said it has changed over the years.

Just stating our experience, here.

Good luck!!!

Book on your own with less people

using cozumelinsider.com book ahead of time and get discount.

The earlier you book the better the discount.

Use the above site to read about the various dolphin swims, encounters. Have read many people disappointment when booking an encounter thinking they are gonna swim

Royal swim is one of the best. and sherry includes a lunch package. then spend the rest of the time at the park

I would book through RCI to get the time you want and the ability to come back on the paid for cab at three different times.

It is very hot here, (no kidding) you will be ready to leave sooner than not.

Safe travels.

• 4 weeks later...

I would do the Dolphin encounter in Cozumel and consider booking the Jolly Rogers catamaran sail and snorkel in Roatan. Anthony Key is not a cruise ship excursion and you have to get yourself there and back so add that cost and time. We did the catamaran sail and snorkel. I didn't snorkel but the rest of the family did. They had beginners and advanced and both groups looked like they had a great time with the guides staying with each group. They provided lunch on the catamaran when the snorkeling was over. They had chicken, red rice and beans, pasta salad, fresh cut fruit salad, soft drinks, rum and several other dishes I can't remember. The picked us up at the ship and the crew handed us a large bottle of water as soon as we boarded the boat. Those of us not snorkeling started partaking in the beverages earlier..lol. The crew could not have been more helpful and took loads of photos both with their cameras and ours. We had a blast. It's great for a family because all ages and skills can enjoy it.

• 4 weeks later...

FYI, Dolphin Discovery (at Chankanaab) is running a special right now. If you book directly through their website. It's only $30 for the second person for several programs through today. I chatted with them and got an even better rate with their "deal of the day," but I'm not sure if that deal is the same all day.

Edited by acejc

How about neither. :)

I invite you to read this thread here on Cruise Critic:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2335040

We did manatees at Chankanaab and booked it on line. We had 2pm time and there were only 4 of us. So much fun. The sea lion show, lunch, and walking through smaller versions of Aztec ruins were interesting. Pay extra for zip lining. All included. Take 15 minute ride by cab. Plenty of cabs available. In Roatan booked a tour through island Marketing Toured GARIFUNA, MANGROVE AND IGUANA FARM ISLAND plus went to a bird, monkey and some other animals rescue center. Got to feed macaws, monkeys were on your person and held a sloth. This was the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Anthony Key is not a cruise ship excursion and you have to get yourself there and back so add that cost and time. .

Actually there are at least two ship excursions that go to Anthony's Key. A Dolphin Encounter and a SCUBA dive.